General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Corner scales to weigh your car - Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corner scales to weigh your car - Las Vegas

I would like to weigh my car. I think it will be good info to have and help in tuning the suspension. It’s a big investment so I was thinking about recouping some of the money if I did go out and purchase a set of scales...

I would bring them to the local car events and set them up for anyone who wanted to check the weight of their car. Or it could be done by appointment.

What would you be willing to pay to have your car weighed?

I was thinking this:

* Set up at an event *
$50 for anyone 1st time.
$40 for forum members and repeat customers.
* $10 if you want to make adjustments and recheck (only the same day at same event)

* By appointment & I come to you *
$100 for anyone 1st time.
$75 for forum members and repeat customers.
(This would be for 30 min of time starting when you first pull onto the scales. Not including my setup or break down time!)

Obviously this would be around Las Vegas area. I would probably have my friend build some ramps and I would have to get a laser level.
I would print out some blank forms that would list all the data fields. Total weight. Each corner weight. Percentages. Etc. This way you have a clear record and you would get the discounted rate next time if you bring your sheet for comparison.

~ Thoughts and Feedback?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest elsewhere Mr. Trump......most local weight scales only charge $5 to $10 a pop. I'd rather give a sneaky ninja $50 than pay you that amount to weigh my car. F'n absurd...........
Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cpo
Invest elsewhere Mr. Trump......most local weight scales only charge $5 to $10 a pop. I'd rather give a sneaky ninja $50 than pay you that amount to weigh my car. F'n absurd...........
This is why I'm asking... How can I look up some place around here by me?

The scale you're talking about: Do they give weights on each corner? Left Front/Right Front/Left Rear/Right Rear? Front to Back percentage? Side to Side Percentage? Will they let you adjust you coilovers and see how it effects the balance of the car?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:23 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

No, just gross weight.

Exactly how much would your investment be? I mean at $50 a pop, weighing just 100 cars would gross you $5000!

Maybe I'm just an ***, but there are very few things I'd pay $50 bucks for, and weighing my car ain't one of them. Good luck though.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

The scales go for anywhere from $1000 - $3000 depending on bells and whistles. Max capacity. 12"x12" pads vs. 15"x15" pads. Wired or wireless. ect. You need a method to level the scales. Laser is the quickest. Thats a coulpe hundred bucks. Plus if you want to rollup on them without damage you need a ramp system.... I am reading up in it now and there seems to be alot involved...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a regular car enthusiast, without the forum member discount. If I imagined I was at a car show and saw you could weigh your car, and I never have, I'd probably say in my head, "Well, if it's under $40 I'll do it." But if I walked over and it was $40 I'd say, 'ah, screw it". Lol. I'd do it for $39. I'm being serious.

And as for going to someone's house. I still wouldn't pay more than $40. I don't think you'll make any money doing house calls, unless its cheap which sounds like it would not be worth it to you. Just my Opinion since that's what you wanted
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

IF you brought it to some car shows you'd probably recoup your money faster by charging $15 than $50. I know if I was at a car show and it was only $15 I'd jump right on it.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

I'd pay $15, maybe $20 if it included a beer. But yeah, $50 would just make me angry.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sw07gt
IF you brought it to some car shows you'd probably recoup your money faster by charging $15 than $50. I know if I was at a car show and it was only $15 I'd jump right on it.
I'm with him.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id laugh at the idiot trying to weigh peoples cars for 50 bucks a pop. Youd have better luck with $20 and especially at ricer events. Theyll pay money for worthless knowledge like $50 ebay perforamcne chips that boost hp by 100% lol. dont try and take advantage of people at 50 a pop try 20, and how often do you plan to use them yourself? if its only once or twice a year its worthless i just dont see how often you could use them for it to be worth it.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cpo
I'd pay $15, maybe $20 if it included a beer. But yeah, $50 would just make me angry.
hahahahahaha

Quick Reply: Corner scales to weigh your car - Las Vegas