General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO vs. another TA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Hmmm, couple hundred pounds you say? Like as in "2 hundred pounds"? Hmmm, could have swore the goats had a little more meat than that when similarily equipped. Either way, I'd never trade my fourth gen for a goat. I would go with a cts if it was ride I wanted.
everything I've read puts the average WS6 at 3450ish and GTOs at 37xxlbs. curb weights that is. seems to me the extra 75 hp should negate that off the bat, but I havent driven either so I wouldn't know..

as for a CTS, they're cool cars, but not for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like some people said the F-body's look so much better. My friend had a 06 GTO and the interior is waaayyyy better than my Camaro's.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 6 f-body's in the past ranging from bone stock to full drag set-up, and 3 days ago I purchased a mildly built 2004 gto. I can tell you there is no comparison between the two as far as ride and drive goes. THe gto handles awesome and the interior is much nicer and more comfortable than the f-body's. I have never been able to decide if I love the looks of the goat or hate it but everything else about the car is great. It is probably the funnest car I've owned to drive. So my pick is GTO all the way!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

I like the GTO but go with the TA !!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pber13
everything I've read puts the average WS6 at 3450ish and GTOs at 37xxlbs. curb weights that is. seems to me the extra 75 hp should negate that off the bat, but I havent driven either so I wouldn't know..

I'm with you there, CTS-V is great but I don't see myself in a caddy. 3450 is not the average weight though of a stock fbody unless it's a stripper model though I think. Most sit as 3500-3600 depending on options with some topping that easily. Gtos weighing in at 37xxlbs? That surprises me but I won't disagree since I can't say for sure. 75hp extra I don't think is too accurate either unless the GTOs are 425hp at the flywheel. Were the LS2 cars underrated by as much as the LS1s were? Just curious because I think GM was trying to do something back in the LS1 days by underrating them (other than just stabilized C5 sales), but I can't say if that continued on into '05 etc. Anyone know?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

I own both a 98 LS1 M6 TA and a 05 LS2 A4 GTO.

The GTO is my DD, much more comfortable and "solid" feeling. Smooth and quiet ride with a bit of ommph when you need/want it.

The TA is modded, the GTO is stock.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 408z28
The IRS rear handles like its on rails, and its fun to throw into a curve. If I want to daily drive a drag car, Id drive my f-body. Its all about personal preferance. Besides...why would you buy a GTO to cut and gut for a track car anyway?
Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
T/A if all you care about is going in a straight line.

GTO if other things matter to you as well.
Jeez....people learning on the internet that a solid rear car can't handle or something? Fact is, stock shocks on the fbody's aren't as good as they should be, getting a good set of shocks really make the car corner well and actually help get rid of interior rattles! Adding in a set of sways and a watts link (if you can swing for it) make it great. If you're still stuck with the stigma that solid rear cars can't handle for some reason, talk to Sam Strano, 13x ( I think) autocross title winner, and he drives a 4th gen Camaro and Mustang....both SOLID REAR cars. I realize that drag racing is more suited for solid rears, but these statements make it seem like thats ALL they're good for.

Are you sure it's not just YOU getting old? lol jk

Maybe it's just me, but I happen to like the "rough ride" and the handling of the fbody. Few suspension peices and your in business for road course, drag racing (whatever you want-hell they even drift well) and you don't have to put them on a diet either. I think they both have their ups and downs but there seem to be a lot of comments saying that "if you only are worried about a straight line, get the ws6" etc. The fbody has a LOT more to offer than just a straight line. Ask some of our suspension guys and closed circuit folk on here. We won't even mention what it has to offer in the "looks" department. That's my opinion of course. Both very nice rides.
Yes, a lot more than a straight line! lol

I'm with you there, CTS-V is great but I don't see myself in a caddy. 3450 is not the average weight though of a stock fbody unless it's a stripper model though I think. Most sit as 3500-3600 depending on options with some topping that easily. Gtos weighing in at 37xxlbs? That surprises me but I won't disagree since I can't say for sure. 75hp extra I don't think is too accurate either unless the GTOs are 425hp at the flywheel. Were the LS2 cars underrated by as much as the LS1s were? Just curious because I think GM was trying to do something back in the LS1 days by underrating them (other than just stabilized C5 sales), but I can't say if that continued on into '05 etc. Anyone know?
Ok, most fbody cars (ls1 at least) are between 3440-3490, depending on options. LS1's put out around 350 or so, LS2's around 400. Corvette's and GTO's with the LS2's were rated the same.

My opinion, fbody cars don't handle like corvettes (stock) or ride like caddy's, that's not their purpose. They're budget muscle cars, plain and simple. I love feeling the road and even hearing the gravel get kicked up by the rear tires! It feels like I'm driving. I think the fbody is a solid car too, but maybe it's because mine doesn't have the rattles/squeaks of a lot of your cars on here.... If you're older or want something that rides smoother, the GTO is a great car, but I like the fbody.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

You can make 450rwhp or well over 500 at the motor plus with a cam and l92 head on the ls2. The ls2 was also underated from the factory.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

there was a post yesterday or the day before asking about F body curb weights and the link someone posted showed a WS6 curb weight at 342xlbs. I've seen somewhere that GTOs are in the 37xx neighborhood. as for power, TA's were rated at 325 hp in 02. I know they were underrated, but thats where I got my 75hp difference from, since the GTO was rated at 400
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Jeez....people learning on the internet that a solid rear car can't handle or something? Fact is, stock shocks on the fbody's aren't as good as they should be, getting a good set of shocks really make the car corner well and actually help get rid of interior rattles! Adding in a set of sways and a watts link (if you can swing for it) make it great. If you're still stuck with the stigma that solid rear cars can't handle for some reason, talk to Sam Strano, 13x ( I think) autocross title winner, and he drives a 4th gen Camaro and Mustang....both SOLID REAR cars. I realize that drag racing is more suited for solid rears, but these statements make it seem like thats ALL they're good for.
don't think that's what he meant. think what he was saying is that the fbody is a better starting point for a drag car because it is already set up for a rear axle. by saying the GTO is other things matter I'm pretty sure he meant DD'ing and stuff like that, not that F-bodies can't handle.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by delphigto
You can make 450rwhp or well over 500 at the motor plus with a cam and l92 head on the ls2. The ls2 was also underated from the factory.
Well, that may be, but honestly, you can make 400rwhp or well over 450 at the motor plus with a cam and heads on the ls1 that puts out 350 hp. It's the same margin, so I think the LS2 was a more accurate estimate than the LS1's in the fbody....could be wrong tho

don't think that's what he meant. think what he was saying is that the fbody is a better starting point for a drag car because it is already set up for a rear axle. by saying the GTO is other things matter I'm pretty sure he meant DD'ing and stuff like that, not that F-bodies can't handle.
That may be, but:

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
T/A if all you care about is going in a straight line.

GTO if other things matter to you as well.
didn't sounds like it was just a better "starting point"
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

drive both and decide what you value the most and then decide
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's going to be a daily just get a GTO my old lady has one and i've been driving it alot here lately and enjoy it alot. I think that a Rear mount turbo on a 6pd goat would be awesome ! So if you do it post pics...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

i say fbody ls1 is better than ls1 gto

ls2 gto better than fbody
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

With the car you decide on aside, if you turbo either one of them it is not going to be a good daily driver. You will break/ need to upgrade parts you wouldn't think of all the time. With that being said, go for it but get yourself a beater first.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

GTO hands down no matter what the engine. After owning the Fbody.....jesus. The build quality in them sucks, the interior sucks, the handling is about on par but the feel of the GTO is much better.

The GTO has awesome interior, looks better, is better built, and even though they're similiar in straight line speed the GTO is just a better car all around.

I owned my 2001 SS for about 8 months, I've owned the GTO almost six years now....I change vehicles out pretty regularly and the GTO is the only thing I've wanted to keep, and I still love it every time I sit in it.