General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car hooks, then spins in 2nd? WTH

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are different schools of thought on this; some feel that less teeth = thicker, stronger teeth. Other's feel that more teeth = more contact area and more strength. I've read arguements on both sides from people that are much more knowledgable than myself about ring & pinions. My opinion comes from the fact that usually when I hear about an A4 guy breaking teeth off, he's got a 3.73 gear. Of course, some of that may be poor installs (poor as compared to factory) as well....or maybe it's the more aggressive launch than stock geared cars. For whatever reason though, seems like the stock gears don't sheer teeth as easily as the higher numeric ratios.
Actually, comparing a 3.73 to a 3.42 the only difference is the pinion gear has 1 less tooth. They both have the same tooth count on the ring gear. A 3.73 has 41 on the ring, 11 on the pinion & the 3.42 has 12 on the pinion. A 4.10 has the same 41 ring teeth but only 10 pinion teeth. Now if youre saying its because theres less teeth on the pinion that may be true but all gearsets mentioned have the same tooth count ring gears. Now a 3.23 does have 42.
I feel some of the noise that comes from gear changes is partly improper setup & also gear manufacturer. I got 3.73s in mine, the previous owner had them installed. I had a clutch clip in the posi unit fall out so I changed the posi unit out, & new bearings. Backlash & tooth pattern looks good but the gears are noisy. I hear some gears(maybe the cheap ones) you buy are noisy. Or course the 10 bolt can get noisy after being beat on too, even stock ones.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Actually, comparing a 3.73 to a 3.42 the only difference is the pinion gear has 1 less tooth. They both have the same tooth count on the ring gear. A 3.73 has 41 on the ring, 11 on the pinion & the 3.42 has 12 on the pinion. A 4.10 has the same 41 ring teeth but only 10 pinion teeth. Now if youre saying its because theres less teeth on the pinion that may be true but all gearsets mentioned have the same tooth count ring gears. Now a 3.23 does have 42.
I feel some of the noise that comes from gear changes is partly improper setup & also gear manufacturer. I got 3.73s in mine, the previous owner had them installed. I had a clutch clip in the posi unit fall out so I changed the posi unit out, & new bearings. Backlash & tooth pattern looks good but the gears are noisy. I hear some gears(maybe the cheap ones) you buy are noisy. Or course the 10 bolt can get noisy after being beat on too, even stock ones.
the reason most people bitch about their gears whining, is because they buy them used, and dont get setup exactly the way they were broke in. if the previous owner installed them wrong, you have to install them wrong as well, otherwise they wont be as strong and most likely whine. it doesnt matter if you set them up perfect, if they were setup wrong new and broke in, thats it. thats the way they have to be ran.