General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

things to look for when buying a high mileage vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default things to look for when buying a high mileage vehicle?

im looking at an 02 trans am with 120k on it and was wondering what to look for when buying a higher mileage car? i really dont think i can just do a compression check in the parking lot so what other things can i do to make sure im not getting the $hit end of the stick?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Looky

Just ask all the questions n try not to be to excited and be sure to go threw everything fluids n what not jus look it over or ask if they are willing to goto a mechanic with u most the time ppl are unless there hidin **** from ya
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 to Redneck 572's post.
But not to be obvious, make sure you take it YOUR trusted mechanic.
Check for rust of course, car's maintenance records/receipts.
Do a cold start on the car and listen for any noises/ hiccups/ hard start.
Slipping clutch while driving.
out of ordinary rattles, although remember that at 120k the shocks and springs are pretty much useless.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

always expect to have to put money into a high mileage car.

but try to avoid expensive repairs like a motor or trans ect. check those things first.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought a few different cars over the years for either myself or for friends wanting me to look at it before they bought their cars. Out of the many I looked at, the biggest thing for me is really understanding the person and their character. It says alot about the car which might sound dumb but let me explain:

I looked at cars where the person seemed so shady that you couldn't give me the car. I also looked at cars where the person was just a stand up guy (or girl) and I just had a good feeling about it. You knew they had good character and weren't BSing me and that they weren't going to sell me a car with problems.

So, if you have any bad feelings about the seller I would strongly encourage you to at least take it to a shop and have them check it out if not walk away from the deal. In particular, a GM dealer because they will be familiar with the specific model and know what to look for. You will pay a little more but you could end up paying A LOT more in expensive repairs by not getting it checked out. Don't be cheap by not getting the used car inspection.....I'm assuming you are paying pretty good money for the car anyways so why not invest a little more into an inspection?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

at 120k its not going to be a perfect car, what i would do would be check out the big ticket items real well. If you can do a cold start thats great because thats where motor problems will show. get on it hard in all the gears to make sure of no clutch slipping etc. and ask a lot of maintenance questions. More than likely if the owner was to lazy to do care about some small things he really didnt take to good of care of it. Dont get to excited going in ive talked myself into some bad deals due to the have to have it right now factor.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

well it seems that the owner has has a shop put in moser axles and a new set of gears within the past 600 miles. He said he bought the car from the original owner who owned the car since new. He has also said that the transmission in the car is a NEW T-56, not rebuilt so i will defiantly check it out. I will be meeting the guy half way so i really dont know how id get a cold start out of it but i figured that if the rest of the drivetrain is solid the only weak point is the motor, which i will drive until it blows up and then be swapping in something else. but its a southern car with a clean carfax(not to say there couldnt be an accident) but i will look for rust and any body damage.

anything im missing? any way to get a cold start after meeting the guy?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

If everything youve said checks out then great find, how far is he driving to meet. I would feel pretty good about it if it was a decent distance, that way you know hes not just limping it around the block to you.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by binks0678
If everything youve said checks out then great find, how far is he driving to meet. I would feel pretty good about it if it was a decent distance, that way you know hes not just limping it around the block to you.
its about 250 miles
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

bump, anyone else?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

just have it get checked out at a shop

Quick Reply: things to look for when buying a high mileage vehicle?