General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Corsa clones or MGW shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa clones or MGW shifter?

I have a Borla exhaust and as much as I love the sound, I absolutely hate the tips. They're ugly, impossible to clean or keep clean, have a dull finish, and you can hardly see them from more than 10 ft away. A little over a month ago, I ordered some Corsa clone tips from 6LE for $150. I have been waiting for them since then because they have been and still are on back order (not Marks fault though, offered me a refund) and I'm starting to second guess my choice.

I also hate the stock Hurst shifter. The throws are way too long, it's very notchy, hard to get into the right gear at WOT high rpm shifts, and I just think it's ugly. I have heard nothing but extremely positive reviews for the MGW short shifter and not one person that I saw did not like it. Of course, I would have to get the gripper shift ball as it looks totally badass and looks like it has a nice grippy surface, which is an extra $50.

So...should I get a refund on the tips and get the MGW? I know the tips are only for looks, and the MGW, even though $100 more, would make the car so much nicer to drive day to day. But sadly 6LE is going out of business, and that is the last place that carries cheap, high quality, right size, Corsa clones. And I didn't want to be stuck with these ugly tips for the rest of the Z28s life... What should I do folks? I'm torn.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Get the short throw shifter, corsa clones are available from other places for only a little bit more.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shifter x2
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Get the short throw shifter, corsa clones are available from other places for only a little bit more.
Care to shoot me a PM?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I have a Borla exhaust and as much as I love the sound, I absolutely hate the tips. They're ugly, impossible to clean or keep clean, have a dull finish, and you can hardly see them from more than 10 ft away. A little over a month ago, I ordered some Corsa clone tips from 6LE for $150. I have been waiting for them since then because they have been and still are on back order (not Marks fault though, offered me a refund) and I'm starting to second guess my choice.

I also hate the stock Hurst shifter. The throws are way too long, it's very notchy, hard to get into the right gear at WOT high rpm shifts, and I just think it's ugly. I have heard nothing but extremely positive reviews for the MGW short shifter and not one person that I saw did not like it. Of course, I would have to get the gripper shift ball as it looks totally badass and looks like it has a nice grippy surface, which is an extra $50.

So...should I get a refund on the tips and get the MGW? I know the tips are only for looks, and the MGW, even though $100 more, would make the car so much nicer to drive day to day. But sadly 6LE is going out of business, and that is the last place that carries cheap, high quality, right size, Corsa clones. And I didn't want to be stuck with these ugly tips for the rest of the Z28s life... What should I do folks? I'm torn.
The MGW shifter is the best mod you can get. It will make the car fun to drive again. I just installed mine last week, this should have been the first mod I did!!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mgw not only is it going to make your car much more pleasant to drive but its going to save you money on a trans rebuild (all those missed gears lol)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Corsa clones are available from a lot of places for LESS. I got mine for $80.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

If anyone does do a shifter swap, let me know, I need a factory hurst shifter to replace my shitty non-hurst shifter
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a factory hurst with short stick for free, mwahahah. gotta love the classifieds.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

While I don't wish to take business away from 6LE you can get Corsa clones from afterthoughts auto for like 60 dollars.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
While I don't wish to take business away from 6LE you can get Corsa clones from afterthoughts auto for like 60 dollars.
You guys who think you can get them cheaper aren't paying attention to what he posted... "the right size".

The cheaper ones are like 2 1/4" and neck down your exhaust.

Mine come in 2.5" and 3" ID and 3.5" and 4" outside (tip) diameters.

The vendor I go through gets them custom made and they are more costly (and some sizes are even back ordered right now)...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
You guys who think you can get them cheaper aren't paying attention to what he posted... "the right size".

The vendor I go through gets them custom made and they are more costly (and some sizes are even back ordered right now)...

Sorry. I need to pay attention to what is said.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just a thought, as a cheap upgrade is getting a short stick for the stock Hurst shifter. the stock Hurst is actually a very nice peice and works well, its the stock stick with the rubber isolator that makes it shitty. replace the stick with a WS6Store or LSS, and get the corsa clones as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick86
If anyone does do a shifter swap, let me know, I need a factory hurst shifter to replace my shitty non-hurst shifter
I will be PMing you within the next week... I decided to go with the shifter and I'll have no need for the stock Hurst.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I will be PMing you within the next week... I decided to go with the shifter and I'll have no need for the stock Hurst.
For sure. I have a UMI short stick and went to install it, finding out that the "factory hurst shifter" my car is SUPPOSED to have...isn't a factory hurst shifter!!! So needless to say, the UMI short stick hits the console
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My "cheapos" are 3.5s.
OP, what size are you looking for?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skopers3
My "cheapos" are 3.5s.
OP, what size are you looking for?
2.5" ID and 3.5" OD
Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the Hurst...just swapped in a short stick from the WS6STORE and it's a night and day difference. Only $25 too! http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1176
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have any pictures of the tips on the car?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea what the backorder time is with 6LE right now on the tips?