General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I took my car to a Chevy Dealership and now my car has a horribly loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill argue and say ur rods are fine. You say it goes away with RPMs, so lifters be easy on you instead of both. Ur rods would continue to let u know they bent.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
Couple hundred total for both, include new heads bolts and gaskets. Ya ya more money more money, but you know to you it worth it, especially your random kill stories. You will hate life you sold it, pissed off that you lost in that Mustang you just bought. I dont care what you say, Id give you til ur 1st run in with a ls1 before u get pissed at urself.
X 3 to all the above. Youre car is fairly low mileage too, youre getting way too paranoid about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to get very paranoid about stuff like this, especially when I have absolutely nothing to do except dwell on it. I LOVE my TA man, its the sickest baddest mother ****** on the road and nothing has the same appeal to me like my TA. But man I cant afford this **** to much longer... It seems like ever since I got to south florida something has gone wrong, I need to move by Rhineyville lmao.

Yungunz you're 100% correct lol, that mustang felt so damn slow and I know Ill regret when I lose to a car I would of raped with my TA.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is no "H" in Rineyville home skillet. We be done in a day too, it to easy, well maybe 2, depends on motivation. No charge.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Come to miami dude lol
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks I try to avoid the dealership whenever I can. I got my car back from them after flushing my tranny and she was never the same. Tranny started leaking and slipping a couple months later. NO COINCIDENCE!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Well it sounds just like mine did (yes it seemed to go away with rpm's) before I pulled the drivetrain and tore down the engine and found multiple pitted cam lobes (#8 exhaust lifter was totally flat in one spot and the cam lobe looked like a file had been used on it) and a deep scratch on #5 main journal, when you next drive it keep an eye on your oil pressure if it hops around the oil pump not, the oil is the problem older LSx oil pumps just go away with no warning. I actually changed the oil like you just before the noise got louder and the changed it again to no avail, by the sound of your the damage is already done. The cam was so bad I just trashed it and the lifters, local shop said the crank scratch could be turned out but I would be skeptical of how much heattreated metal would be left. A new LS6 for me.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

What Anthony said is exactly my problem, my cam lobe is fucked. I have no ******* money and I need a car, this is quite possibly the most emotionally devastating day of my life. I ******* LOVE my Trans Am nothing can replace it but Im fucked now. My parents usually help me when I need money since I just go to school nowadays but they wont help me with the TA cause its fubar.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i want to see a pic and proof, you say your car rides and drives fine, being a bad lobe id say ur knock sensors would let you know and it run like ****.

welp nevermind

Last edited by Yun Gunz; 08-03-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I just through reading the whole ordeal! ... That's why everytime I take the car to a shop ( with exception of one) I come in with the "Louie the leg breaker" mentality!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
What Anthony said is exactly my problem, my cam lobe is fucked. I have no ******* money and I need a car, this is quite possibly the most emotionally devastating day of my life. I ******* LOVE my Trans Am nothing can replace it but Im fucked now. My parents usually help me when I need money since I just go to school nowadays but they wont help me with the TA cause its fubar.
heads must come off for a lifter change which is not that easy if you have no mechanical skills. You will need new head gaskets, lifters&(trays), GM headbolts and alot of labor time. ls1howto has a great write up. just skip the steps for the cam. Unless you have been driving it alot with the lifter tapping your cam might be okay. Me and a buddy tackled it my first time ever tearing down my engine and actually wasn't that bad.

texas-speed has some great prices for gaskets and bolts. I'm just saying your car has fairly low miles, i wouldn't give up yet. trust me I've had plenty of issues with my car before and just gotta stick with it. life will get better eventually.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=87&catid=36
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=879&catid=36
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

hope this helps your confidence a little. BTW either get a new GT 5.0 or don't get one at all. just my opinion.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Well I dont have the money to fix the Trans Am, I traded it in as is (by the time I got to the dealer it was barely idling) for a 2010 Mustang Gt for 21,000$ Flame suit on.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

What they give you for it?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Well I dont have the money to fix the Trans Am, I traded it in as is (by the time I got to the dealer it was barely idling) for a 2010 Mustang Gt for 21,000$ Flame suit on.
You are going to hate life in about 2 weeks. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ds98formula
What they give you for it?
prob 2 grand
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aerojt
prob 2 grand

Two grand on the spot.

I'm not going to be hating life, yeah its not as fast as my WS6 but I dont have to worry about the window motors, or the car falling apart more. Plus the TA was on its final breathe's of life and I dont have the money to fix it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

long as your happy with it man thats all that matters.

I just hope it gives your old car gets another chance to be taken and fixed by another fellow f body lover and not scrapped. There just cars but sad seeing slowly disappearing, them getting wrecked and totaled, trashed by non car people who dont care, or traded for 2010 mustangs! haha J/K man.

Lets see a comparison on the TA to the rustang
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Told you im gonna beat your ***
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I dont have to worry about the window motors
Honestly, a window motor can be swapped out in about the same time as doing an oil change and washing the car. $60 a piece from Autozone.

Plus the TA was on its final breathe's of life and I dont have the money to fix it.
Am I the only one that sees this as being odd? How can you afford a $21k new car but not afford to fix the old one? Granted, I too have sold off cars that needed work because I just didn't want to deal with it, but it was never a matter of money. I mean, having an entire LS1 engine rebuilt with top shelf parts and paying someone full labor to do it isn't going to cost that kind of money.

I'm sure you probably just got a loan for the new car, but really I would have picked something much cheaper if I was strapped for cash in the first place. That way, you'd have some money to start modding again sooner.

Not trying to bash your decision, it's obviously your right to do whatever you want, just seems like if you kept a cooler head you might have come out better on the financial end.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Honestly, a window motor can be swapped out in about the same time as doing an oil change and washing the car. $60 a piece from Autozone.
I paid $40 for a new one, didnt get it at AZ though. Youre right though, even if he paid someone to change it a window motor aint ****.

Am I the only one that sees this as being odd? How can you afford a $21k new car but not afford to fix the old one? Granted, I too have sold off cars that needed work because I just didn't want to deal with it, but it was never a matter of money. I mean, having an entire LS1 engine rebuilt with top shelf parts and paying someone full labor to do it isn't going to cost that kind of money.

He basically gave his car away just because he didnt want to deal with it. I dont see paying $21K for a car to replace it with very cost effective.

I'm sure you probably just got a loan for the new car, but really I would have picked something much cheaper if I was strapped for cash in the first place. That way, you'd have some money to start modding again sooner.

Not trying to bash your decision, it's obviously your right to do whatever you want, just seems like if you kept a cooler head you might have come out better on the financial end.
Its a lot easier this way.

Quick Reply: I took my car to a Chevy Dealership and now my car has a horribly loud noise