General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I took my car to a Chevy Dealership and now my car has a horribly loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I took my car to a Chevy Dealership and now my car has a horribly loud noise

Not a good day,

I took my car to a Chevy dealership to have my oil change done, I have been using royal purple over the last year with no problems. After I got discharged from the Army I couldn't afford to buy the Royal Purple stuff anymore and have a shop do the change for me, and I live in a apartment complex where I cant really do the change my self. So I took it to the dealership and they claim to have used Mobil 1, I have used Mobil 1 before and havent really had any problems. But almost as soon as I got home, I took it to my step dad where we immediately drained the oil and replaced it with RP, the "oil" that came out of my car has the viscosity levels of water and looks extremely thin even at room temperature. Give me your opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qdKJLyu_c

Last edited by USArmyZ28; 08-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

sounds like it may be lifter tapping. Did they drive your car? Did you mention the noise to them? What did they say if you did? How far did they drive it. Change oil with conventional oil drive 500 miles. Change it again with conventional oil. Castrol GTX is good. See if there is a difference in the noise. Just a thought. Friend has same "sort of noise" in his truck. Told that it was lifter tapping. Did the above and problem solved.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't notice the sound cause I usually have the music up cause my exhaust is so loud, I just changed right now with RP synthetic and the noise is still there. Why should I put conventional after all these years of synthetic? No they dont drive it,

Last edited by USArmyZ28; 08-01-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

i'm going to bet that this is most likely a coincidence, The type of oil you use shouldn't have a drastic effect on an engine, so long as the viscosity is correct, and i'm sure the dealer put mobil 5w30 in it, if that's what they said. The damage is done though, no "miracle additive" or other oil is going to fix it, it needs torn down and repaired. Sounds like a lifter to me.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Im going to bet its not a coincidence, it started literally the second I got my car back. My friend who dropped me off at the dealership to pick my car up said she heard the second my car turned on. The oil literally looks like water, and it sitting next to my AC getting 65 degree air blown on it and it still looks like **** water.

SS: Read the last sentence of my original post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

did you do lifters when the cam went in? That sounds just like a lifter failing. oddly enough probly just coincidence.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

No stock lifters, something gives... I am looking at the oil that came out of my car and it looks extremely thin... My step dad has built vehicles from the frame up and he even said the oil looks way to thin. But I mean come on, for the lifter to fail the second I pull my car out of the shop?

Lets just say that somehow the dealership put to low of a viscosity in my car, could it possibly have done this sort of damage?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have heard that mobile 1 is a thinner oil (i use it with no problem after h/c) but i dont see how that oil in the motor would cause lifter failure.

have you contacted the dealership yet? i would have done that as soon as i left the shop.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I left the dealership at 4:40 on friday, taking it there first thing in the morning.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
No stock lifters, something gives... I am looking at the oil that came out of my car and it looks extremely thin... My step dad has built vehicles from the frame up and he even said the oil looks way to thin. But I mean come on, for the lifter to fail the second I pull my car out of the shop?

Lets just say that somehow the dealership put to low of a viscosity in my car, could it possibly have done this sort of damage?
You can bet your *** if they put the wrong oil in there it would cause problems. Take that straight back.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Which dealer did you go to?

If you have to drive it like that...DO NOT stomp the gas at all. Drive it like an old lady.

An engine can take a **** at any time.....but thats pretty coincidental. Jerk-off dealership technicians always take cars out and rag on them. Never know if thats what happened, but its a definite possibility.

I never ever leave the dealership with my car in their hands, I know for damn sure they'd love to get their hands on it and take it for a ride. Its only been there once in 12+ years for a new A/C compressor because I know they'll take it for a spin.

If it were my car I'd go back there and start raising some hell. I would first start by asking very calmly, "Just wondering sir, was everything ok during the test drive?" See if they at least say they drove it. If they did, then tell them that whatever happened during that drive, the motor is now making a bad tapping noise. One bounce off the rev limiter can cause your problem, which could happen with one stomp of the gas petal. If you get any static and you want to keep pursuing it as if they messed it up, I'd ask for the owner of the dealership.

.......also, dealerships always write down your mileage when the car is dropped off in the service department. You can figure out what you drove since you picked it up and see what the difference is....if you really want to do it right. If there's a couple miles extra, you know they drove it.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-01-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usarmyz28

lets just say that somehow the dealership put to low of a viscosity in my car, could it possibly have done this sort of damage?
NO WAY.

These LSx engines we have are absolutely nothing special, they are every day normal V8 engines. They will run fine on any off the shelf oil, as long as it isn't some kind of wierd, exotic off the shelf stuff. But anything thats at a dealership will work in any normal V8 motor. I've used Mobil 1, 10w30, 10w40 and for the past 7 years 20w50 cheap Castrol GTX. There was ZERO difference in performance, temps, everything. It just doesn't matter.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-01-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

You know, I hate to say it but I actually did leave the car there.... My parking light socket was burnt up so I left it there so they can swap it out.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
NO WAY.

These LSx engines we have are absolutely nothing special, they are every day normal V8 engines. They will run fine on any off the shelf oil, as long as it isn't some kind of wierd, exotic off the shelf stuff. But anything thats at a dealership will work in any normal V8 motor. I've used Mobil 1, 10w30, 10w40 and for the past 7 years 20w50 cheap Castrol GTX. There was ZERO difference in performance, temps, everything. It just doesn't matter.

^^correct. as long as there is clean oil in there being pumped and not to little to starve it, that engine doesnt care. it will be fine as long as there is oil in it peroid.

Id ask them if they drove it though, techs do rag on fast cars a bit when they get the chance.

Id say your big cam and stock lifters may have played a part. IMO you were already on borrowed time, maybe its something as simple as a bent push rod but with out tearing at least the valvetrain apart nobodys ever gonna know.

I had an LQ4 that had the exact same noise but it came and went. Turned out the oil pump relief was on its way out and at idle it would blead off all the pressure and start making lifters clap. Pump ended up going out and locking up the motor. Its a stock pump too, could be its on the edge. You just never know on internal parts.

Best off luck, and maybe they will fess up and youll get a cool new engine out of the deal or at least a rebuild.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Man this honestly ******* BLOWS, I went from making awesome money when this problem wouldnt have been such a financial burden to now when I rely off my GI Bill and have to pay stupid bills and ****. Im assuming that lifters are not cheap to replace
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
^^correct. as long as there is clean oil in there being pumped and not to little to starve it, that engine doesnt care. it will be fine as long as there is oil in it peroid.

Id ask them if they drove it though, techs do rag on fast cars a bit when they get the chance.

Id say your big cam and stock lifters may have played a part. IMO you were already on borrowed time, maybe its something as simple as a bent push rod but with out tearing at least the valvetrain apart nobodys ever gonna know.

I had an LQ4 that had the exact same noise but it came and went. Turned out the oil pump relief was on its way out and at idle it would blead off all the pressure and start making lifters clap. Pump ended up going out and locking up the motor. Its a stock pump too, could be its on the edge. You just never know on internal parts.

Best off luck, and maybe they will fess up and youll get a cool new engine out of the deal or at least a rebuild.
So wtf am I supposed to do? Let it ride out until it falls apart?

I did my cam swap at 50k miles, its now at 68,2xx would worn out valve springs possibly play a role in this?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Man this honestly ******* BLOWS, I went from making awesome money when this problem wouldnt have been such a financial burden to now when I rely off my GI Bill and have to pay stupid bills and ****. Im assuming that lifters are not cheap to replace
Checking the valvetrain isn't a big deal.

Talk to them, maybe they'll check it all out for you, especially if they did drive it.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

In the video, it sounds like a chirping sound. Does it have a bad tapping sound in person?

You can take a screwdriver and hold the tip against the heads (near the exhaust manifolds) where each cylinder would be. If the tapping feel increases at a certain cylinder, thats where the tapping part probably is.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

No there is no tapping or even ticking.... it literally sounds like the arnold schwarzenager of sewing machines. The sound goes away as the RPMs pass 2k rpm and you cant hear anything after 2500
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Well there isnt anything thats going to fix it and it will not just go away, it will just get worse.

Id check it out before it causes even worse damage. Lifters if thats what you find it is cost about 120 dollars for ls7's. youll just need new head gaskets,head bolts and thats it. some tools and time.

Its better to play it safe, so no dont just let it ride until it falls apart, talk it over with them and decide a plan of action and see how it turns out. may be something simple. But if it didnt do that before ,then they drove it and now it does. You best be telling them they should fix whatever problem they caused you. Im still betting bent push rod from bein over reved or a lifter going.

edit: it goin away after 2500 makes me thing its for sure a lifter because once it builds up oil pressure it pumps the lifter back up and the noise stops. I could be wrong but it for sure sounds like it

Quick Reply: I took my car to a Chevy Dealership and now my car has a horribly loud noise