General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

hot rod magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hot rod magazine

just got my october copy today second month in a row with an article on ls engines. only took them over ten years to find out its a great motor.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by m1a2d3
just got my october copy today second month in a row with an article on ls engines. only took them over ten years to find out its a great motor.
take a look at page 52... my gold lsx 67 camaro is there, racing my dad's blue z06 in bowing green..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

looks the old man is going to take you.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I saw that on the rack at Wally World last night. Like you said, if they would quit printing articles like "Spray Can Rebuild of your 289 Ford" they might get a few more readers........I quit subscribing to them LONG ago........back when the Honda's started gracing their pages......
Old 08-19-2010, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason they're just now featuring so many is the LS motors are finally cheap enough for the everyman that buys their mag to buy and install in his project car. the reason they aren't showing you how to drop in a brand new LS9 crate motor now is the same reason they've waited til now to show you how to put an LS1,2 or 6 in a muscle car/street rod. most of their readership can't afford a $25k+ motor with electronics they don't know how to work. the Gen 3 motors however can be carburated now, in addition to the costs falling.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pber13
the reason they're just now featuring so many is the LS motors are finally cheap enough for the everyman that buys their mag to buy and install in his project car. the reason they aren't showing you how to drop in a brand new LS9 crate motor now is the same reason they've waited til now to show you how to put an LS1,2 or 6 in a muscle car/street rod. most of their readership can't afford a $25k+ motor with electronics they don't know how to work. the Gen 3 motors however can be carburated now, in addition to the costs falling.
Spoken truth /\

I have been subscribing to Hot Rod Magazine and Car Craft for the last 15 years. They cater to the shadetree mechanic more than the high dollar guys. I am also very happy to see a lot of LS swaps entering the magazine, as well as mods to the new variety of muscle cars (Challengers, New School Mustangs, etc.) Hot Rod and Car Craft are the best magazines out there for V8 guys. Period.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kurlee Daddee
Spoken truth /\

I have been subscribing to Hot Rod Magazine and Car Craft for the last 15 years. They cater to the shadetree mechanic more than the high dollar guys. I am also very happy to see a lot of LS swaps entering the magazine, as well as mods to the new variety of muscle cars (Challengers, New School Mustangs, etc.) Hot Rod and Car Craft are the best magazines out there for V8 guys. Period.
completely agree. Super Chevy is doing lots of LS articles now too. have you seen this month's HOT ROD issue with the supercharged, LS1 6 speed swapped '75 Volvo? wow.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High Performance Pontiac has had an LS article in the last several issues too...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

HOT ROD has been covering LSX stuff for long time now. they built budget 6.0ltr last year called 'lester scruggs", they featured a LSX swap, with a multitude of vehicles. im an avid reader and theyve always covered it. its just more prevolent now. their main demographic is old school stuff still, so they have to watch how much they put in. i remember a dyno test from years ago on LS engines in stock cars. theyve always been on the bandwagon with us, but like i said they have to cater to their largest buying group ..the older hot rodders.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
HOT ROD has been covering LSX stuff for long time now. they built budget 6.0ltr last year called 'lester scruggs", they featured a LSX swap, with a multitude of vehicles. im an avid reader and theyve always covered it. its just more prevolent now. their main demographic is old school stuff still, so they have to watch how much they put in. i remember a dyno test from years ago on LS engines in stock cars. theyve always been on the bandwagon with us, but like i said they have to cater to their largest buying group ..the older hot rodders.
More Truth /\

I remember when Hot Rod did an article on John Shepherd's 8 second Talon. They had threat after threat of people ending their subscriptions if they put any more imports or ricers in the magazine. That made me shake my head, because a nearly stock looking 8 second car is a Hot Rod to me. But to the millions of old school muscle car subscribers, I guess imports aren't Hot Rods unless they are American made.

Last edited by Kurlee Daddee; 08-20-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

looks the old man is going to take you.
yea, but not by much, and it was one of my slowest runs.. and the TVS Will seal the deal for next year

this was the run in the mag...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RydB1PpIrtc
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is too funny guys! I have so many of hp pontiac, hotrod ect all with ls builds. they always have had builds on them! LMAO

see they rarely had ones with the old 3rd gen f-body builds (always old school and ls) so anytime they did a tpi build I bought it.. and guess what just looking at them right now.. they all had ls builds
Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

yea.. car craft has been stepping it up on ls's too

as the aftermarket grows with LS stuff you can count on their advertising dollars to influence more ls builds...count on it.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurlee Daddee
More Truth /\

I remember when Hot Rod did an article on John Shepherd's 8 second Talon. They had threat after threat of people ending their subscriptions if they put any more imports or ricers in the magazine. That made me shake my head, because a nearly stock looking 8 second car is a Hot Rod to me. But to the millions of old school muscle car subscribers, I guess imports aren't Hot Rods unless they are American made.
HAHA looked at the magazine the other day with shepards talon. I think that is the one with the subru and the 03 cobra battleing on the cover.I think shepards car is flat out awesome.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

I felt like writing Hot Rod about their 11 sec for $14k including the price of the car. Mid 10's is doable with a $14k budget if you know what you're doing.