General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Tune up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up.

I have the next two days off work so I'm going to try to do some work on the z28. I'm figuring it needs a tune up considering it idles a little rough and kinda backfires coming off throttle when it's cold. How much of a pita is doing a tune up? I heard something about the #8 plug.. Let me know, tips and pointers will be appreciated.

Oh and whats the rule of thumb for how long to leave seafoam in the oil of an ls1 (miles/time etc) Its got 137k and is in the need a change.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll do 100 miles in 1 day when I put seafoam in my oil every 30k miles. But my friend will do 200 miles in 3-4 days when he does it every 10k miles. No loss either way. Don't forget seafoam in your gas tank and the brake booster line

Don't forget about: plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter (or clean the K&N), tranny flush, rear-diff fluid, oil change (after the seafoam of course), coolant flush, fresh brake fluid.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

#8 is a pain, espeically the first time. There isn't much you can do to make it easier on a '98. '99+ you can pull the rail for all coil packs on the passenger side, for a '98 the coils are all bolted individually to the valve cover. IMO, taking them off is just as hard as doing the plug with them in place.

You will need to remove the AIR tubes at least.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

best thing ive found on doing the number 8 plug on my 01 and 02 is from the bottom looking up makes it so much easier dont know if it will help on your car but its worth a shot
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kcs02ta
best thing ive found on doing the number 8 plug on my 01 and 02 is from the bottom looking up makes it so much easier dont know if it will help on your car but its worth a shot
When I did mine i was looking at it and thought that it was gonna be harder from the bottom but its not, its allot easier. I forgot to add that I don't have AC anymore so that makes it allot easier
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Definetely take it out from the bottom. What works for me is putting the socket in by hand and then attaching the ratchet to it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcs02ta
Originally Posted by Empatho
When I did mine i was looking at it and thought that it was gonna be harder from the bottom but its not, its allot easier. I forgot to add that I don't have AC anymore so that makes it allot easier
Originally Posted by lazyhomie
Definetely take it out from the bottom. What works for me is putting the socket in by hand and then attaching the ratchet to it.
Agreed.

Accessing the #8 Spark Plug is done most simply from underneath the car.

Jacking up these cars can be a PITA, but its worth taking the time to simplify removal of this plug.

Good luck, man.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found #8 easy.

Before you start, pull the car up on ramps. This makes working on it a bit more confortable, since you don't need to bend over as far.

Also, it allows you to get under it, which is where you want to be to get at #8.

I was able to change the #8 plug AND wire from underneath, I found that the easiest way. For me, #6 was the real PITA.

If you have arms like Popeye you might have trouble here, but it was a snap for me. Also I'm running stock manifold/cats, so with headers it might be harder. Also, I left to coil rail in place, I found the last bolt was too much of a PITA to get at.

Anyway, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Just take your time and be patient, it'll be easy enough. Oh, and a .75" extension is a help.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Everyone remember that the '98-'99 cars, and the '00+ cars have a different cat and exhaust placement on the passenger side. Going from underneath might be easier depending on which exhaust you have.

Personally, I don't know how you guys find this method easier with either exhaust setup. Maybe I should give it another chance next time.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I found #8 easy.

Before you start, pull the car up on ramps. This makes working on it a bit more confortable, since you don't need to bend over as far.

Also, it allows you to get under it, which is where you want to be to get at #8.

I was able to change the #8 plug AND wire from underneath, I found that the easiest way. For me, #6 was the real PITA.

If you have arms like Popeye you might have trouble here, but it was a snap for me. Also I'm running stock manifold/cats, so with headers it might be harder. Also, I left to coil rail in place, I found the last bolt was too much of a PITA to get at.

Anyway, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Just take your time and be patient, it'll be easy enough. Oh, and a .75" extension is a help.
Unless you're a short guy like me.

I just climb on the engine bay, and my skinny (but strong :p) arms can reach almost everywhere.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

make sure you need a tune up first. it could be something else. just saying.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I found #8 easy.

Dude that last bolt hasn't been on my coil rail since my header install in 2007! Remove it and forget it, it aint worth the trouble later on!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

So, plug suggestions, already have msd wires.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Autolite Platinums 5245 available at walmart for less than $5 for the 2 pack. Alot of people use the NGK TR55. As for the tune up. Its easy after a couple times. I can do my Vette and my Camaro in 1hr taking my time. I never once in all 12 F-bodies I owned got the #8 plug from the top. I always got it from the top. Like others stated removing the coilpacks in the best bet but since you have a 98 you could just remove that #8 coilpack. That is what i normally do.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
Dude that last bolt hasn't been on my coil rail since my header install in 2007! Remove it and forget it, it aint worth the trouble later on!
Well, if I had actually gotten it out, no way in hell would I have put it back in. But after struggling with it for like 40 minutes, I decided to just leave it.

I was able to get at the plugs just fine with the coil rail still in place.