General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2002 Z28 LS3 Twin/Single Turbo??!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Z28 LS3 Twin/Single Turbo??!

Anyone heard of somebody doing this option? I am looking at doing an upgrade and for the price, the LS3 480hp option is by far the cheapest. Engine is only 6500k turnkey brand new and I can probably trade my low milegae LS1 for about 1500k. so instead of getting a loud obnoxious 480hp LS1 I get a smooth driving LS3...And I wont spend the tons of money other places want to charge to Cam and head my car out....now add a turbo set up and that my be an INSANE sleeper...sombody please shoot holes in this idea...would appreciate any thoughts or known finished products.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrocz76
Anyone heard of somebody doing this option? I am looking at doing an upgrade and for the price, the LS3 480hp option is by far the cheapest. Engine is only 6500k turnkey brand new and I can probably trade my low milegae LS1 for about 1500k. so instead of getting a loud obnoxious 480hp LS1 I get a smooth driving LS3...And I wont spend the tons of money other places want to charge to Cam and head my car out....now add a turbo set up and that my be an INSANE sleeper...sombody please shoot holes in this idea...would appreciate any thoughts or known finished products.
I was actually looking into doing the same thing, minus the turbo part. The crate LS3 is a bargain, and as you said, a 480HP LS3 is going to be a much stronger motor and have a much better powerband than a 480HP LS1.

The main issues are with engine harnesses. The LS3 uses a 58x crank reluctor, so a converter is needed to work with the stock LS1 PCM. You can buy one thats plug-and-play for a very reasonable price. Same with the knock sensors and cam sensor, they are relocated on the LS3 engines. The fuel injectors are also different, but once again, plug-and-play adaptor harnesses are available to make it an easy swap.

As far as forced induction, the engine is the same size externally, so whatever you can install on an LS1 you can install on an LS3. Guys on the Camaro5 forum are making huge numbers with supercharged and turbocharged LS3 engines, even on low boost. And so far they have proven to be extremely reliable, even with boost.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a great idea but how long will the LS3 last under boost? Is it iron or aluminum?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iron vs aluminum is an irrelevant argument. VA Speed has taken a stock LS2 block to over 1,800hp. An LS3 is aluminum, also not forged, so for the power levgels you will be looking at, aluminum is perfectly fine.

The real problem is forced induction can get expensive quick. The whole car, specifically the drivetrain, has to be able to handle the extra power. Tranmissions (clutch or converter), rear end, fueling needs, etc. all need to be addressed with FI. Check out the sticky in the Forced Induction section called "The real price of forced induction" to give yourself a real idea of what you are getting into. For a crate LS3 + single turbo + the rest of it....you'll be running over $15,000 easy, $20,000 isn't out of the question.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Hey I really appreciate the input guys...I am just trying to figure out the best way to get the nice powerful daily driver I need without spending a crazy ton of money. I dunno why, but 30k on just and engine just seems ludicrous to me so I was looking at cheaper options that may have not been considered...anymore insight would be nice or if you know of reputable shops that put together nice reliable packages I would appreciate it!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL. then keep your stock ls1 and bolt on a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think this thread is LOL btw. "cam and head out my car"?

maybe you should just "part and sell out your car"
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I dont see whats so funny about the thread. Point of the thread is to get idea about making an awesome car that would be a decent everyday driver, not be loud and obnoxious when Im just crusin around but will give me awesome power when I want to get on it. Most guys just throw a ridiculous cam, headers, and exhaust on their LS1 and are proud to put out 400-500 horses. Which is fine if thats what you want. But I dont want a weekend car, I want an all around smooth performing car. Just looking at possible options or something unconventional which is why I posted in this forum...Another reason is that I am well aware of the fact that if you put forced induction on a car that wasnt designed for it, or has the proper internal modifications you are just destroying your engine and your car becomes unreliable. Thats also not what I want, which is why im looking at an engine swap.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure why you don't think you can make drivable power with the LS1. With a small to medium cam and a good set of heads the LS1 will make 480 to the flywheel and be very drivable.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ I think op doesn't want to mod the ls1 because he feels the modded car won't be as reliable or will need constant attention.

So he just wants a high hp car and drive it to factory specs like his ls1 and put a heads/cam package to shoot for 600s if he wanted.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrocz76
I dont see whats so funny about the thread. Point of the thread is to get idea about making an awesome car that would be a decent everyday driver, not be loud and obnoxious when Im just crusin around but will give me awesome power when I want to get on it. Most guys just throw a ridiculous cam, headers, and exhaust on their LS1 and are proud to put out 400-500 horses. Which is fine if thats what you want. But I dont want a weekend car, I want an all around smooth performing car. Just looking at possible options or something unconventional which is why I posted in this forum...Another reason is that I am well aware of the fact that if you put forced induction on a car that wasnt designed for it, or has the proper internal modifications you are just destroying your engine and your car becomes unreliable. Thats also not what I want, which is why im looking at an engine swap.
You can easily have a head, small cam, full bolton ls1 with 400-500 hp that is daily driveable. Most are not loud and obnoxious. If you think that getting to 400 - 500 hp needs obnoxious sounding exhaust or lopey cam, look around. I drive my 93 lt1 with full boltons, including an electric water pump with a small cam daily and it runs perfectly fine. It does city driving and blasts down the expressway at 80 mph. No biggie. These cars are fuel injected and have amenities like air conditioning if you are worried about it, neither which you have to lose when modding the car. I agree putting an ls3 in the car would solve some of the modding, but I am sure you could put less money in the ls1 and have the same running motor.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Regular

Is that you Mike? Hit me up if you're serious about making that kind of power. Lots of better/cheaper options you can go with for reaching that goal and would still have great street manners. Just ship the car down here and I'll take care of it, lol. Seriously though, give me a call sometime and we'll discuss what options you have with your budget.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM

I registered to this forum because I read some of this...the ls3 is way better then the ls1 for numerous reasons...look it up...bolton ls3 with heads and cam make over 500rwhp in the 2010 camaro! Stockwith just turbo kit makes just under 600rwhp! Combine the 2 and you will be closer to 670+/- whp...people have pushed the ls3 to 800whp completely stock 2010 ..the tranny and rear end hold up pretty well..just my 2 cents
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Banned

do the twin turbo for braggin rights
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Launching!

LS3 heads and intake manifold on LS1?? Thats what im planning on doing soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

You guys know this thread is over a year old, lol....And you can't put ls3 heads and intake manifold on a stock ls1 bore. The valves are too large

Quick Reply: 2002 Z28 LS3 Twin/Single Turbo??!