General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I want to put a V6 in a 1998 TA

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
OP - The best response I heard so far in this thread is to limit the power on an ls1 to save time/money/effort and when your daughter is ready for more power, its available.

For the record guys, Liability on a v6 and v8 fbody is the same. Ask me how I know.
You can't speak for all insurance companies. With my insurance company, as well as 3 others I checked when I first started looking for ls1s years ago, you are very incorrect.
There was over a 120$ difference per month on all.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the

Owning a v6 is just a bad idea, plain and simple.
Mpgs, Insurance prices are exactly the same from my experience.

The only benefit for owning a v6 fbody is upfront price you for the car itself and you soon regret the decision of not waiting long enough for the v8.

3800 series II is the Buick motor thats bullet proof but like TheBlueKnight said, those cars had terrible issues with the electrical. I can't remember how many times I replaced crank,cam sensors and the ignition modules on that car.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS1 is not mine, it is going to the Vette so I would get everything but the motor. I have no say in that decision.

I had not considered insurance but that is a good point, it would still be a TA in the eyes of my insurance company even with a V6. I will call to verify because honestly, I think this is a hellava lot more work and probably not enough cost savings over a Firebird.

From a technical perspective, would a 4.3 TBI bolt to the existing automatic in the TA? Would a L05 350 bolt in?

Is the trans a 4L60?

Is it computer controlled?

Selling the TA body and putting that towards a Firebird would be fine, probably not worth more that 500-750.

Thanks for all the comments, any more help or comments would really be appreciated. It is a very nice gift from my Uncle, if there are many mechanical, electrical, and insurance reasons not to swap a V6 into the TA it would be easier to say no thank you. Or, take the roller, sell it and not feel guilty.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

You have to trust me on my daughter NOT needing a V8 car....she is hell on wheels.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

A roller less engine and computer is worth way more than 750$.
You need to be on conversion and hybrid section for some real help on the swap.
I would suggest using a 5.3 truck motor. Will be one of the most simple to swap, can potentially make close to same power as ls1 if you want, good power reliable, CHEAP, etc etc.. keep your eyes open because there are many choices out there.

4l60e is trans.. not sure on swapping those motors in
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 243
You have to trust me on my daughter NOT needing a V8 car....she is hell on wheels.
Detune.. set limiter at 5000.. make where throttle blade will only open 3/4 throttle. That will put it about at v6 speed.
It shouldn't be hard to make it safe.. make it to where she cant disable traction control..

If you do all that it might be slower than one lol..
Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I agree with those who are saying you should purchase a nice 3800 V6 Firebird.

I not only don't want to see a Trans Am castrated of its LS1, but you need to consider the cost of insuring it.

In the eyes of ANY Insurance Co., a Trans Am is a Trans Am, despite what motor is currently in the car. And the price of insuring a 16 year old driver with one of these cars will be an Arm-and-a Leg.

Is your uncle planning to sell his T/A if you don't agree to take it for your daughter? If not, the car isn't going anywhere, right? Save it for when you or her won't be putting some Insurance Salesman's kid through college with the premiums.

Let her have her "first car" experiences with a car that's a little less desirable and won't matter (as much) when some kid in the High School parking lot backs into it. Or some ******* at the mall door dings it. Or she puts it in ditch during some winter weather or while driving too fast on a gravel road. (Of course this all depends where you live.)

You could find a nice Firebird with T-tops and the Sport Appearance Pkg. (RPO Code W66, I believe.) That would include ground effects and nose & rear bumper extensions, and dual exhaust similar to the T/A.

Just my .02. Good luck with your decision.
As this kind gentlemen has implied I have been in the same situation, I live in Ohio, and while in High school couldnt afford insuarnce...And gas for a V8, I sent you a pm, i have a red, t-tops, chrome rims, and very good looking firebird im willing to sell, only thing that this car doesnt have that this gentleman has mentioned is the sport appearance package.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by lemons12
Detune.. set limiter at 5000.. make where throttle blade will only open 3/4 throttle. That will put it about at v6 speed.
It shouldn't be hard to make it safe.. make it to where she cant disable traction control..

If you do all that it might be slower than one lol..

but what would stop her from getting it retuned later on?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
but what would stop her from getting it retuned later on?
If she has the connections or know how to do that.. imo she would be ready for the car. Even at that there are several other factors greatly reducing her ability to use even half the.power that is available.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to correct myself. I thought he said reliability, not "liability". I was just talking about the reliability.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you said that the LS1 is destined to be swapped into the older 'Vette, but hear out this suggestion. Here's what I've gathered so far:
  • The Vette needs a LS1 motor.
  • The TA is free.
  • You don't want your daughter having 350hp on tap.
  • Your daughter is hooked on the TA.
  1. Accept TA from uncle and purchase a LS1 pullout for the Vette. (That car will be going under the knife anyway, and it just needs a LSx motor. Take the money from your $3,000 budget and purchase a motor/trans for the Vette. Now, you only have to do 1 motor swap, rather than two.)
  2. The issue remains of your daughter and horsepower, correct? See what this parent did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-u3tzddYS8 That is a Twin-Turbo LS1 TA "with a nut loaded on the throttle-arm to limit the throttle to only 1/2 power, because the owner can't handle the power." Problem solved. Cost? Free.
  3. Your daughter gets the car she wants, minus some horsepower, but gets a better looking, braking and reliable model. You have peace of mind that she's not going to have 300rwhp on tap, and is limited to v6 power that you feel good about. Your uncle looks like a champ, having just given someone their dream car, and the 'Vette gets the LS1 it needs. All this done with less work, money, and time--and arguably better results.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I Think another issue you may run into is the A/C unit, im not sure if they use the same setup or not, this is an uneducated guess, but just from my looking around is that they seem to be setup a small bit differently.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn it jersey mike... On the ball today.

That suggestion sounds like a home run to me.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
You can't speak for all insurance companies. With my insurance company, as well as 3 others I checked when I first started looking for ls1s years ago, you are very incorrect.
There was over a 120$ difference per month on all.
He said liability, full coverage there is going to be a huge difference but liability only it's close to the same for all cars. I would suggest full coverage on anything (other than a ~$1k car) a 16 year old is driving though.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy her an LT1 car, that way she'll still have the V8 sound but be slow as ****.

JUST KIDDING.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like she needs to grow up. once that happens give her a hand picking out a reliable safe car
Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
Just buy her an LT1 car, that way she'll still have the V8 sound but be slow as ****.

JUST KIDDING.
LOL!!!

OP, coming from a 20 year old guy who started out with sixxers, you're making a wise decision... Especially if she's a gear head.

If I would have had my SS when I was 16, or even my Formula for that matter, It would have been wrapped around a pole. I was an idiot, and that 3.4 was pleanty of power. My parents were just like you in regards to me getting one. They wanted me to get a V6. And thats what I got.

I know some people will think differently, and had luck and werent as stupid as I was when I was 16, but I think you're making a wise decision making your daughter get a V6 because it only takes one accidental hit of the throttle for it to lose control.

^^^ My old Formula when I was 18. Accidently hit the gas coming down an on ramp when the roads were wet and went into the guard rail.

I took a year off from F-bodies at that point because I knew I was young and stupid, drove a trailblazer for a year, then bought m SS.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy her a V6 firebird (swap front end/hatch out if necessary)

orrrr

Just take the car to a tuner, put the speed limiter at like 75 and the redline at like 2500rpm. That'll take most of the fun out of the car Throttle stop wouldn't hurt too.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gocartone
He said liability, full coverage there is going to be a huge difference but liability only it's close to the same for all cars. I would suggest full coverage on anything (other than a ~$1k car) a 16 year old is driving though.
As a 19 year old driver i can say different. My 97 z28 costs over $180 a month for liability thats not anywhere near the $100 a month i paid for liability on my old saturn. If i wanted full coverage for my car forget it its outrageous.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jersey Mike has the best suggestion IMO. I'd also take out the traction control switch so she can't turn it off TC. That means no burnouts and it'll make it very hard for her to get it sideways under any conditions.

But to answer your other questions:

Originally Posted by 243
From a technical perspective, would a 4.3 TBI bolt to the existing automatic in the TA? Would a L05 350 bolt in?
Both of those are Gen I style motors. They will require different motor mounts, computer, wiring, and probably a bunch of other things to get the guage to work etc. And I'm almost positive that they will not bolt up to the existing trans. The LT1 (newer style GenII motor) won't bolt directly to LS1 transmissions so it's very doubtful.

Originally Posted by 243
Is the trans a 4L60?
It's the 4L60E. Instead of having a kickdown cable like the older 700r4 trasnmissions (the ones usually matched to the 4.3 and L05) the 4L60E is computer controlled which will also throw in another layer of complexity to swapping one of those motors.

Originally Posted by 243
Is it computer controlled?
Yes

Originally Posted by 243
Selling the TA body and putting that towards a Firebird would be fine, probably not worth more that 500-750.
Most rollers I've seen are 2k-3k if they have relatively low milage and no damage history. If you go to the classifieds you can see what people are asking for TA rollers.

Good luck, sounds like you're taking the right route with not letting a teenage loose with a powerful RWD car.