General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stop me from selling my z28 for a 03-04 Cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Take a Cobra for a test drive and see how you like it. Drive a pullied one and you might have made up your mind then
I don't know anyone who has one, and I've never driven one. It'd be new territory for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

why not look into like a roush, or saleen?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1baaadz28
why not look into like a roush, or saleen?
LOL! Why? Roush's suck from what I know and the S281 Saleens suck too. The S351 Saleen is the only one I'd get. Other than that I'd take a Cobra any day of the week over a Roush or Saleen.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

stage 3 roush,has a blower, so does a s281 sc, same thing pretty much as a cobra but you get some added suspension mods
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

stage 3 roush,has a blower, so does a s281 sc, same thing pretty much as a cobra but you get some added suspension mods
Stage 3's arent all that common. I agree with SSmokin99.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i agree they ain't that common but that just makes it better, but personally if i absolutley had to buy a mustang it would be an 03/04, but i would never sell my F-body for one, both cars are bad ***, and it really comes down to personal preference
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know they have blowers, but trust me they aren't like a 03/04 Cobra. They're not 4V's. I've raced a stage 3 Roush too and it was basically a dead even run and my car was running like **** at the time. He seemed to be very surprised that I was just bolt ons.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

I think I'll just hold off for now on the Cobra.

When it really comes down to it I don't think I could sell the camaro for one. Yes I could own one, but not at the expense of the Z.

After grad school.... I'll just add the cobra to the collection.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if i was going to get a mustang id get a new one.

its priced good and makes great power.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I'm well aware that all motors can blow. LS1's blow up all the time huh? Please show me where they blow up all the time. Lets talk stock form and not nitrous cars either. When I race in my car I'll do back to back run without worrying about my motor. Yeah, there is a possibility that I can hurt something, but it's a high risk when doing it in a Cobra. Either way, I'd still buy a Cobra over an LS1 even knowing that huge problem.
I'm in no way arguing that an LS1 is unreliable, but no one has a stock LS1 anymore, everyone has a damn MS4 or a 150 shot. You can't keep an LS1 stock if it's gonna run with ported and pullied Cobras.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch
I'm in no way arguing that an LS1 is unreliable, but no one has a stock LS1 anymore, everyone has a damn MS4 or a 150 shot. You can't keep an LS1 stock if it's gonna run with ported and pullied Cobras.
That's because it is 10 years older. Its a great platform but its dated. Is it outdated, no. Is the 4valve better, no. Ford needed 4 valves to make as much power as the LS1. Cobra to LS1 is apples to oranges. Its blown versus NA, of course blown is going to win stock to stock or slightly modded. Its all in what you like and what you want to do. If you want to put time and effort into building something fun and fast, keep the fbody. If you want to do it easily and cheaply, get the cobra. But you'll get more sense of accomplishment from the fbody.

The guy who said the cobra is a dyno queen is right. I watched a friend of mine fight with a blown mach 1 for three years. Forged motor and 800 rwhp and he couldn't get out of the 11's. And he could drive. Dyno queen
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

my grandpa taught me that if you work on something and make it your own you will be a whole lot more proude of wehat you have done, buyin a already blown cobra is a copout on the do it your self mods!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
That's because it is 10 years older. Its a great platform but its dated. Is it outdated, no. Is the 4valve better, no. Ford needed 4 valves to make as much power as the LS1. Cobra to LS1 is apples to oranges. Its blown versus NA, of course blown is going to win stock to stock or slightly modded. Its all in what you like and what you want to do. If you want to put time and effort into building something fun and fast, keep the fbody. If you want to do it easily and cheaply, get the cobra. But you'll get more sense of accomplishment from the fbody.

The guy who said the cobra is a dyno queen is right. I watched a friend of mine fight with a blown mach 1 for three years. Forged motor and 800 rwhp and he couldn't get out of the 11's. And he could drive. Dyno queen
Alright, I seriously LOL'd at the bolded part. I really wish I could fit that into my sig.. Because that is hilarious. I dont even know where to begin with this one.

First.. You know theres more to a car than just a dyno number.. Right? Just because a car makes great power, doesnt mean theyre going to run fast at the track. I've seen 1000rwhp vettes run 10's... Because they couldnt hook up. Tell your buddy with the Mach 1 who is a "good driver" to set his car up right then.

Cobra's arent dyno queens. I cant believe I'm even reading that, or people actually think that... They can hold their own on the streets and at the track. Please, go tell that to a bolt-on cobra with your bolt-on T/A, and let me know how it goes. Pullied/ported cobra's have made it deep into the 11's.. We wont even talk about what a properly setup KB cobra could do... Nevermind a TT one.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
Is the 4valve better, no. Ford needed 4 valves to make as much power as the LS1.
Yes, Ford needed 4 valves but an LSX needs more displacement. Who cares how the power is made as long as it's a big number?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Anyone that has doubts about their LSX car should buy a cobra. Go Modular and see if you dont come crying back haha
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

That hood is bad *** makes your car, Just put a blower on the z aint like you dont have the hood clearence lol. I bought my wife a 2000 mustang V6 it wasnt a terminator but rode like a **** box. Plus short wheel base tend 2 oversteer lol thats any mustang tho.
The blower sound is sooo sick sounding plus any mustang sound awsome,But i dont think i would spend the cash on one. Just put a blower on your car
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Alright, I seriously LOL'd at the bolded part. I really wish I could fit that into my sig.. Because that is hilarious. I dont even know where to begin with this one. First.. You know theres more to a car than just a dyno number.. Right? Just because a car makes great power, doesnt mean theyre going to run fast at the track. I've seen 1000rwhp vettes run 10's... Because they couldnt hook up. Tell your buddy with the Mach 1 who is a "good driver" to set his car up right then. Cobra's arent dyno queens. I cant believe I'm even reading that, or people actually think that... They can hold their own on the streets and at the track. Please, go tell that to a bolt-on cobra with your bolt-on T/A, and let me know how it goes. Pullied/ported cobra's have made it deep into the 11's.. We wont even talk about what a properly setup KB cobra could do... Nevermind a TT one.
That's all true but the point I was trying to make was that the cobra motor isn't better than the LS1 and that comparing the cobra to the LS1 is comparing two different vehicles. Yeah the cobra can be fast but its blown. It should be faster than the fbody simply because of that, and if it wasn't then it would have been sad. Put a blower on a LS motor and see if the cobra is still tops. I'm not saying that the cobra is not a nice ride, I'm just pointing out that its not so much greater than the fbody like everybody makes out. You have to put it into perspective.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

DEFINITELY stick with the camaro man! looks and sounds way more aggressive. camaro's have way nicer rides as well! instead of buying a cobra, go all out with the camaro and go show those stangs whose boss.its definitely way more satisfying to have a basemodel car that you built up yourself beat another car than to have a more-expensive bone-stock car that kills all the others. "built not bought" right? all just my opinion of course..
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
That hood is bad *** makes your car, Just put a blower on the z aint like you dont have the hood clearence lol. I bought my wife a 2000 mustang V6 it wasnt a terminator but rode like a **** box. Plus short wheel base tend 2 oversteer lol thats any mustang tho.
The blower sound is sooo sick sounding plus any mustang sound awsome,But i dont think i would spend the cash on one. Just put a blower on your car
Ya, thats probably going to be the plan or now.

thanks !