General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

starting car with car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting car with car cover?

ok guys get ready for the dumbest question ever....

I have not had time to get the car ready for winter storage... At least the kind of winter storage I would prefer so after getting home from work last saturday I was unaware we were under winter storm warning.

Since I did not want to leave the car in the driveway because I plow etc, I put it in the backyard. I set down some plywood with a tarp covering it.... ran out an bought a car cover... Drove the car onto the tarp covered plywood. Threw a car cover over it and threw another tarp over it.

I had planned on purchasing a carport, but money is tight right now.

Now since I just through it out there would it be ok if I just used my remote start to start her up every few days so the battery stays strong? It's so dam cold out there I don't feel like dealing with it, not to mention by the time I get home it's getting dark
Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'd uncover the exhaust pipes atleast so its not being caught up in the car cover and tarp.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radiator too!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 538 Likes on 385 Posts

A big NO NO if the tarp or cover touches the exhaust pipes. I found out the hard way on a different car after I put the cover on after a drive. I still have some nice holes in the cover that perfectly match every time I put it on. I was lucky the thing didn't catch on fire.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Is the gas tank full? Did you put any Heet in your gas?

Rather than waste the gas why not run an extension cord out there and just use a trickle charger on the battery.

Better yet pull the battery and run an trickle charger on it inside.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Starting your car up is a bad idea if you're not going to take it out for a run. It's hard on the engine and causes moisture to build up in the engine and exhaust. Unhook the battery and leave it sit, shouldn't lose its charge with no drain on it unless it was bad to begin with.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gocartone
Starting your car up is a bad idea if you're not going to take it out for a run. It's hard on the engine and causes moisture to build up in the engine and exhaust. Unhook the battery and leave it sit, shouldn't lose its charge with no drain on it unless it was bad to begin with.

Ditto. A car is just a machine. Won't hurt it to just sit there for a few months.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Ditto. A car is just a machine. Won't hurt it to just sit there for a few months.

How dare you call these "just machines"!!

PS: love the avatar wish I could find that sign to put on the bathroom in my office!!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
How dare you call these "just machines"!!

PS: love the avatar wish I could find that sign to put on the bathroom in my office!!

Well..... I guess they're not "just" machines, because they are pretty darn addicting!

I can't remember where I picked up the avatar, but I got it because it reminded me of an experience a few summers ago:

The family & I went camping a few summers ago, at an amusement park/campground. The wife came back to our cabin from the showerhouse, somewhat upset. Seems that as she was in a state of undress in the shower stall, she looked over and some strange woman was staring at her over the stall door. I responded with, " I don't blame her, you're too hot to pass up that opportunity!"
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I start mine once a month.. but im inside a insulated garage with a cover on it so it's always like 50 degrees in there during winter. Don't start it with a cover or tarp on it, it will overheat, I would say lift the back and front up so it can breath when starting it, and if your going to do that which im not sure if I would outside.. but if you are then do it once a month. No point in starting it weekly to waste gas. I start mine once a month for 20minutes in the garage.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

moisture can build up if you just let it run and not get to operating temp, but if you let it idle for a while after it warms up, you'll be fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the battery, bring it inside, put it on a battery tender. Leave your car where it is. Go get it in the spring.

All the short starts are a waste of time and does more harm than good.