General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

General help with mods.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default General help with mods.

I am currently trying to find a fast 90/90. After that I am unsure on what to do. I would like to do a mild heads/cam combo. However I do not have enough money to change out the stock clutch and 10 bolt.

Options are,

A. Buy and install the Fast and get a tune. Then save up for all supporting parts

OR

B. Buy and install Fast, cam, heads and hope the clutch and rear holds up.

Leaning towards A but what do you experts think?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch first, then Fast, Cam, Heads only when you have enough money for a rear when the 10 bolt goes (unless it's just a garage queen and you can live with the car down until you can afford a rear). If you don't run drag radials and are on mild street tires your 10 bolt may last a while.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Clutch first, then Fast, Cam, Heads only when you have enough money for a rear when the 10 bolt goes (unless it's just a garage queen and you can live with the car down until you can afford a rear). If you don't run drag radials and are on mild street tires your 10 bolt may last a while.
The reason I wanted to do the fast before the clutch is because my clutch is fine right now. What clutch would you recommend?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Monster Clutch Stage 3 clutch but really depends on how much HP you are going to make. Go to www.monsterclutches.com, it tells you what clutch to get under what HP and under what conditions the car will be run.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Monster Clutch Stage 3 clutch but really depends on how much HP you are going to make. Go to www.monsterclutches.com, it tells you what clutch to get under what HP and under what conditions the car will be run.
Thanks for the link. Are those clutches a pain to drive on the street? One of my old cars had some type of friction clutch that was a **** to push all the way down to the floor. For my car now I want a street friendly clutch.

I also have not made any horsepower goals. I would like to get low 12's after the intake, then low 11's after the heads/cam.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Low 11's? I'd be looking at the Stage 3. I've read a lot of threads from owners of this clutch and I've heard it's stiffer than the stock clutch of coarse, but I don't recall anyone ever saying it was a problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that without a cam and semi-decent heads
the FAST will not deliver its potential. If it were me
I'd leave it for after you have other things done.
In the meantime you could probably turn up a LS6
intake for a price that will let you turn it over for
no loss, later when you're ready for the big hardware.
And meanwhile the FAST (or competing) manifolds
ought to see some price erosion and more of them
hit the used market.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Low 11's? I'd be looking at the Stage 3. I've read a lot of threads from owners of this clutch and I've heard it's stiffer than the stock clutch of coarse, but I don't recall anyone ever saying it was a problem.
Well I would be happy anywhere in the 11's. I was thinking around 440rwh would probably be enough.