General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Good times for my pretty much stock car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011 | 06:56 PM
Teching In

Default Good times for my pretty much stock car?

Hey all. Have an 02 Z28 A4 with 3.23 gears. My list of mods consist of SLP blackwing lid, Only the Magnaflow muffler, and fully street tuned by a very reputable tuners in my area.

Took my car to Toronto motorsports speedway in Cayuga, ON. Started off the night sucking ***, was terrible at launching(first time racing the car). After a couple runs though I was launching a lot better, didnt lose 1 race last night. My best time of the night ended up being 13.461@104.85mph, with a shitty 2.139 60ft. It was quite humid out, and the track seemed wet but only from the funny cars with slicks tracking water down the lanes. If I could get my 60ft down to a 1.9 or a 2.0, my times would have been a lot better I think?. I think a couple suspension mods, and some more track prep(had none, full tank of gas, spare & jack in the car, reg. tire pressure, etc) I would have ran faster.

Just wanted to know if this time seems consistent with a stock car with these mods. It seems to me that my trap speed seems kinda low however, I was hoping for at least 106-108mph? All runs were with my cheap "Raptor" brand tires that have a nice tread pattern and are decently sticky. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not too horrible of a time, it's got more in it though, that's for sure. If your car is in proper condition, the track was prepped properly, you could hook well etc., high 12's are probably pretty possible, if you couldn't break high 12's, I could easily see VERY LOW 13's out of it. So yeah, the car has some more in it.

Also, I have Raptor Riken RZ's on my SS, not a bad tire at all.
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

I ran a 12.91 @ 108 w/ a 1.9 60ft with a lid, exhaust and untuned.
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

was your car dyno tuned also?
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys. I really do like the Raptor tires, never heard of the brand but they came with the car and I have no complaints at all about them!

The car was not dynotuned, just spent hours on the street with HPtuners tuning at every speed. My tuners does LS1s, G8s, and GM trucks all the time, known him for years, great guy. I think though a street tune would be more realistic conditions that the car would face at the track though? The load on a dyno varies by type of dyno all the time...

2nd question though, im not into heavy mods this year, but I was thinking of a ported throttle body, trans & p/s cooler, and maybe some rear lower control arms and sway bars to help with my 60ft and trap? Im concerned about the stupid p/s cooler rupturing internally and mixing with my coolant at some point lol.
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

My tuner does a dynotune and then we hop on the street for a few runs and he logs and checks everything.
Old 05-14-2011 | 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by dee99gt
My tuner does a dynotune and then we hop on the street for a few runs and he logs and checks everything.
same here. he'll even have me bring my car back for minor adjustments.
Old 05-14-2011 | 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a good time slip,your cars full weight still.

Get the rear seats and belts out plus the spare.

Gets some DR's for a consistant launch.

I will be there next Monday if you want to meet up.
Old 05-14-2011 | 09:06 PM
Teching In

Ive been to my tuner about 3 times in 6 months for little adjustments. Everytime I add something minor like a lid or muffler, we meet up and adjust things slightly to eck out every bit of power.

transamtom, where will you be Monday, Cayuga? I didnt think they were open on Monday's. I probably wont be hitting the track for awhile, need more mods and suspension lol. But ya, with more track prep I hopefully will cut a better time next time.
Old 05-15-2011 | 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bpalma
Ive been to my tuner about 3 times in 6 months for little adjustments. Everytime I add something minor like a lid or muffler, we meet up and adjust things slightly to eck out every bit of power.

transamtom, where will you be Monday, Cayuga? I didnt think they were open on Monday's. I probably wont be hitting the track for awhile, need more mods and suspension lol. But ya, with more track prep I hopefully will cut a better time next time.
Yes Cayuga TMSP.

Not tommorow 5/16 next Monday 5/23.

Its Victoria Day Holiday and the track hosts their big event on 5/21,22 so prep should be great.
Old 05-15-2011 | 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Better then my 14.5 last night ... I had a 4600 DA though
Old 05-15-2011 | 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Correction 4937
Old 05-15-2011 | 11:06 AM
Banned

you guys do know that the additional traction compound (vht most widely used) does not help a street tire stick correct?
Old 05-15-2011 | 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

MPH seems low, car definitely has more in it. I'd get to the track as often as possible to practice.
Old 05-16-2011 | 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
you guys do know that the additional traction compound (vht most widely used) does not help a street tire stick correct?
I'm on Hoosier Dr's which look like slicks.

I just need a 3600 Stall to get out of the hole better.
Old 05-16-2011 | 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure where you heard that, but that is not my experience. Not sure how any tire would not benefit from a stickier track?
A street tire will not benefit from a large burnout due to the tire compound not getting stickier with heat. However, a stickier surface to grip will help any tire hook better.
Old 05-16-2011 | 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like a decent time. I'm an m6 and when I was lid and magnaflow catback I got a 13.2 @ 110.9mph with a 2.1 60 ft at sea level. Wish I would have had DR's and I would have ran a 12.9.
Old 05-16-2011 | 07:21 PM
Banned

I'm not sure where you heard that, but that is not my experience. Not sure how any tire would not benefit from a stickier track?
A street tire will not benefit from a large burnout due to the tire compound not getting stickier with heat. However, a stickier surface to grip will help any tire hook better.
oh, just the people who make vht. I worked at a dragstrip for a bit. I got the benifit of working directly with the owners of the track and learning what they know from their years. track prep is an art. what I learned was vht is not designed make the tire stick to the track. its designed to make the rubber stick to the track. meaning, its built to develop a thin layer of rubber on which the drag slicks attach to for maximum traction. street tires tear up the rubber since they dont grip it well. this is why you may see a track run street cars on one side and race cars on the other.
Old 05-16-2011 | 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP-

FYI a Riken Raptor is a pretty decent tire and made by Michelin...

Not sure of your DA but seems about right to me and in the neighborhood of most "stock" cars I see. Mine ran 13.6 at at 103 lid/catback on a 2.0 60'. Remember an A4 will never MPH what a stick car will. No factory freak but a strong car none the less...
Old 05-16-2011 | 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, just the people who make vht. I worked at a dragstrip for a bit. I got the benifit of working directly with the owners of the track and learning what they know from their years. track prep is an art. what I learned was vht is not designed make the tire stick to the track. its designed to make the rubber stick to the track. meaning, its built to develop a thin layer of rubber on which the drag slicks attach to for maximum traction. street tires tear up the rubber since they dont grip it well. this is why you may see a track run street cars on one side and race cars on the other.
i don't know about that. i've seen cars on street tires that will blow the tires off on the street, hook up on the track with the same tires. and not because they're leaving the line any easier. i could see how VHT would have a greater affect on drag tires, but i still think it'd help a street tire as well.