General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First night with the Z06... WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
This turned into a z06 vs f body thread

My next car will be an ls3 vette.
Sure did. I have had both Gen 4 and Vette. I prefer the Vette but I would like to have both. When I got married I had five cars.
Those were the good old days.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Thread cleaned and reopen!

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-29-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick looking car. I would love to have one
Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This turned into a z06 vs f body thread
Lol, no kidding. I wonder if some people forget that the F-body is a "pony car" and the Corvette is a true "sports car". It's all just different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Lol, no kidding. I wonder if some people forget that the F-body is a "pony car" and the Corvette is a true "sports car". It's all just different strokes for different folks.
Agreed.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CorbinLR
Then you're doing something wrong. A stock 2003 C5 z06 will go low 12's at best in the 1/4 mile. Stock A4 LS1's go low 13's. Throw in a stall, h/c/i and you should be blowing away the vette's. Ask me how I know.
Nope. Didn't do anything "wrong". The C5Z is that much better as an all-around performance car. My Z28 would crush my C5Z in a straight line (as it should with 650rwhp...provided that I could get traction), but that's it. Every other metric is way slanted in favor of the C5Z.

BTW, stock C5Zs have gone as fast as 11.7 at 118, but the norm is around 12.5 at 117. Stock A4 LS1 F-bodys are mid-13s at 105ish. That is a huge difference. Please don't try to lecture me, I love F-bodys and have/had 6 of them in various stages of modification.

How?? did you run out of gear or something?
Maybe I should have used a better phrase. The Z28 was easily the faster straight-line car, but the C5Z still blew me away insofar as performance in ALL aspects.

Originally Posted by dabest09
Nice car congrats!

I think he meant "blew me away" as in how the car felt, not a race.
Yep. I guess I should have used better clarification.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweeet car, I tuned one a while back and while logging on the street I asked "can you tell a difference?" He laughed and said "Nope, just trying to focus on keeping it straight". After I thought about it for a bit and questioned my tuning ability, he was right, the car was nasty before the tune, and nasty after it. It was spinning on the interstate and pulling like crazy, just sick.

The only thing I didn't care for was the long hood from the interior view, maybe I just wasn't used to it.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Maybe I should have used a better phrase. The Z28 was easily the faster straight-line car, but the C5Z still blew me away insofar as performance in ALL aspects.
I know I was just jokin
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the argument was 25k dumped into an f-body vs the 25k stock vette for drag purposes, then yeah the f-body. But who wants a vette for straight line driving? Get a nova for that. Vette's are fun around corners, and I'm not sure 25k into an f-body will ever really compare to that.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im not taking sides lol.

ill always have my fbody but i really want a c5z or c6z.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

No-one's mentioned decel yet ?????? 100 to zero in a Vette is like your
chicklets fly outta your grill and hit the windshield....str8 stupid !!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. 5 pages and almost a month of arguing about which car is better and comparing two vehicles that have nothing in common other than the fact they're sold by GM and use gasoline; F bodies are muscle cars, Vette's are sports cars-no point comparing two completely different animals that have different missions in life. We should start comparing rabbit cages and computer monitors while we're at it. First of all, IMHO rabbit cages do a much better job of holding a plate of scrambled eggs; monitors, not so much, especially if it's an LCD type. Discuss...

Last edited by myk; 06-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
wow. 5 pages and almost a month of arguing about which car is better and comparing two vehicles that have nothing in common other than the fact they're sold by gm and use gasoline; f bodies are muscle cars, vette's are sports cars-no point comparing two completely different animals that have different missions in life. We should start comparing rabbit cages and computer monitors while we're at it. First of all, imho rabbit cages do a much better job of holding a plate of scrambled eggs; monitors, not so much, especially if it's an lcd type. Discuss...
roflmao

Originally Posted by CorbinLR
A stock Vette vs a full exhaust F-body?
The difference is one sounds like a real muscle car.

Me too, but not more than a Tran Am

http://image.highperformancepontiac....ngers_Side.jpg
Is that your trans am? If so I can understand the feeling of a FI powered F body. It's a rocket ship I know beleive me, I know

But a vette is a REAL go to the the gf's house on friday, pick her up, go to the movies and dinner without once having to yell over bullet mufflers, and still be quick enough (notice I didn't say fast) to beat most everything on the road you would encounter while doing said errands.

And the quote about one sounding like a muscle car makes no sense, have you ever heard a Ti equipped ZO6 vette take off at full song? Yea, you need to have your hearing checked if you think a vette is quiet. Sorry.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My honda with v tec owns them both

Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks good, time for some mods
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myk
Wow. 5 pages and almost a month of arguing about which car is better and comparing two vehicles that have nothing in common other than the fact they're sold by GM and use gasoline; F bodies are muscle cars, Vette's are sports cars-no point comparing two completely different animals that have different missions in life. We should start comparing rabbit cages and computer monitors while we're at it. First of all, IMHO rabbit cages do a much better job of holding a plate of scrambled eggs; monitors, not so much, especially if it's an LCD type. Discuss...
This. There is no need for the vette vs Fbody nonsense in this thread, because nobody gets it right. For 75k, you shoulld be able to get just about anything under 4000lbs to go in a straight line AND around a road course faster than a stock C5Z06, but thats still not the point. It will be a modded, likely very unrefined one off. Which is fine, unless your looking for a nice, refined, factory sports car, which is just not practical to expect from a modded Fbody.

Apples to oranges.

Nice car, BTW. If I was to get a vette, that would be it.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksnake
This. There is no need for the vette vs Fbody nonsense in this thread, because nobody gets it right. For 75k, you shoulld be able to get just about anything under 4000lbs to go in a straight line AND around a road course faster than a stock C5Z06, but thats still not the point. It will be a modded, likely very unrefined one off. Which is fine, unless your looking for a nice, refined, factory sports car, which is just not practical to expect from a modded Fbody.

Apples to oranges.

I came yay close from buying a black Z06 with a F1 procharger and HRE wheels. Like you said a black ZO6 is what I would get if I got a vette hands down. That or Electron Blue, only those colors, and it would have to have CCW's or HRE's on it. Of course I could settle for Fikse's or Iforged too I guess
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksnake

Apples to oranges.

While I agree, you can't really compare an F-Body to a Corvette as they are two different types of vehicles, but you're saying this as if you need an all out race car in order to be competitive against a stock C5Z. It really would not take THAT much to get a stock F-Body up to it's level in terms of handling and straight line performance. I'm just sayin'

Also, very nice Z OP
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
While I agree, you can't really compare an F-Body to a Corvette as they are two different types of vehicles, but you're saying this as if you need an all out race car in order to be competitive against a stock C5Z. It really would not take THAT much to get a stock F-Body up to it's level in terms of handling and straight line performance. I'm just sayin'

Also, very nice Z OP
Yeah, you can definately upgrade the suspension and give it more power and have it hang with vettes and/or beat them at the track, but its just not going to feel the same. You can make anything fast and handle great. I've seen modded fbodies at Watkins Glen beat vettes all the time and run faster times. Not saying it cant be done... But the vette is a better platform for that.

F-bodies are hands down the winners for the 1/4 mile if you're looking to build up a car for that... I could have built a nasty f-body and made crazy power with the money I have wrapped up in a stock Z06, but like I said through out the thread, thats not what I wanted. I got tired of them after owning 5 4th gens of various years. I wanted something fun to drive that I could keep stock if need be.

I dont want this to be a f-body vs vette thread. They both have their pros and cons and it all depends on what you want out of a car.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That z06 looks sick bro but I think I would much rather have my f-body.

Quick Reply: First night with the Z06... WOW!