General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did I screw myself with using RED locktight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I screw myself with using RED locktight?

Did the front brakes on my Jeep last weekend and used RED locktight on the caliper bolts. There didn't seem to be anything on there from the factory, but the bolts were a lil tough to get off, so I figured it would be go "practice" to make sure they didn't vibrate off.

Welp, I need to remove my calipers to make sure the rubber dust covers around the pistons didn't tear, i had an issue with them not fully receding back with the pistons and was left with some "over hang". I'm 90% sure the piston didn't crush them, but i want to be 100% sure to make sure i don't get anything on the piston seals and end up with a leak.

I used RED locktight on the caliper bolts, and I'm reading that it requires heat to get off. I'm not about to break our my blow-torch to use near my brake lines, and I'm afraid to snap the head off the bolts if it is indeed that tough to remove. I don't have an impact gun, either

I have to take my Jeep in for service in like 1,400 miles; should I just let THEM deal with it and check the pistons.

How hard is it to remove bolts with RED locktight???
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't know what kind of Jeep but a friend just broke the heads off his Liberty doing a brake job. Factory bolts were in it.

I would make sure the local store has them in stock before I messed with it if I were you. His were special order item...took 2 days to get them there.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you will get lucky and its not fully cured yet. I doubt it but if you have any chance of getting them out, its now. Make sure you have replacements just to be safe
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did this last sunday and put like 300 miles on it since then, so they've cured. I guess I'll just do a visual check this weekend with flash light to see anything obvious, and have Jeep take the calipers off to check em fully when i take it in for the 55K mile service, soon.

like i said, im 90% sure everything is ok and nothing got pinched, but i want to be 100%. It stops perfect, I'm just worried about containments eating away at the piston seals; long term issues. So if they are torn/ripped, I'd want to address them now before anything happens. I doubt anything will happen in the next 1K miles, but i got 50K miles out of my original pads, so i don't want to wait until my next pad change. lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just for future reference, what is the RED stuff used for? I bought it for my TRQ ARM bolt when I had my SS; it stopped it from getting loose.

I knew the RED was stonger than the BLUE, but I didn't realize how strong it was, and that it needed heat or an impact gun to get off....
Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

red 271 is generally used for a permanent solution. requiring 500deg heat to loosen it.. also not recommended for bolt with a shaft less than 3/4"... Red is some serious ****...

Use blue 242 for things that require routine disassembly... it works fine for brakes... I have never used red on anything on my car...blue works just fine.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive never had that hard of a time getting off the red locktite. It requires more force, but never had to bust out the torch... lol. Then again, i just use a drop... i dont soak them.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used more than a drop; i put it around the threads....

I'll just let Jeep handle disassembly, I'll just do a visual look. My cousin told me how to fix the issue with the piston sleeve overlap (if it didn't fix itself while driving), so that is what I was trying to do/check. No sense in my breaking something to see if something is broken. I'd rather have somehting break while in the JEEP shop, not in my damn driveway...

Now i kno better about RED. I was just thinking about the heat the calipers experience, ididn't know if BLUE was for that. Now i do.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

You're going to have to use heat to soften up the red loctite to remove the bolts. If you try to force them out without heat chances are you're going to break the bolts. Then you'll have to use heat and have to deal with a broken bolt.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious, what kind of Jeep?

I have a '97 ZJ, I've had the calipers off many times, never used any Loctite, and never had any problems.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2007 Commander
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

It will be fine. I have loosened many bolts which have had red loctite on them.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

same here, just add some heat. You shouldn't be breaking off bolts maybe if u had used green.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Ive never had that hard of a time getting off the red locktite. It requires more force, but never had to bust out the torch... lol. Then again, i just use a drop... i dont soak them.
^^This.

Never had a problem dismounting red locktite. Takes some force, and I've surely doused some things in it, lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bonestock_442
It will be fine. I have loosened many bolts which have had red loctite on them.
this.

this stuff isnt jb weld and need an act of god to remove guys.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in Jeep dealership and thos caliper bolts on your Commander are pretty tought to break. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Quick Reply: Did I screw myself with using RED locktight?