General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil pressure lag - '01 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure lag - '01 WS6

Brief history on this car ... well, as brief as I can be. Broken ring land, shop did rebuild, spun bearing. Shop did rebuild, spun bearing. Repeat. Eventually shop managed to fire it up w/out lifter pedestal ... FUBAR motor. Trashed block, heads, pistons, pushrods, etc. Time to melt it all down to make beer cans. Shop went out of business, but promised to make it right, did another build for me with donor parts ... and spun bearing.

Decided to do it myself. Never done it before, but I bought a book and figured I couldn't screw it up any worse than they did, right?

Sent parts to machine shop. Block was good, 7 rods were good. Got a replacement rod, donor crank, machined it 10 over and all's well with the world. Short block came back and the wife and I finished the job. Fired it up and runs great. New timing chain, new oil pump, 243 GTO heads, Comp XR265HR cam, Comp 918 springs, ARP head / rod bolts. Stock pushrods, stock rockers, stock lifters. 10K miles since the rebuild and pleased with my first engine build.

Here's my question though, and it may just be the 11 year old stock gauge. When I first fire it up, there's about a second where the oil pressure gauge doesn't move, then it *instantly* springs up to show great pressure. It's not a slow ramp up like it's building ... it's like there's a second delay and then it suddenly turns on.

The sending unit was replaced. We broke it when we pulled the motor out. Whoops.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? Motor doesn't make any strange noises at startup, runs strong, and obviously it's not bothering me too much. I just thought I would ask.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I would check the connector for the sending unit along with the integrity of the sending units wire which runs to the car. If it has a pinch in it, it may be sending in added impedance along the signal; thus making your gauge spring to life?!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Thats normal, all of mine do that.about a half second to a second before the gauge moves, it's not instant.

Originally Posted by rncotton
Brief history on this car ... well, as brief as I can be. Broken ring land, shop did rebuild, spun bearing. Shop did rebuild, spun bearing. Repeat. Eventually shop managed to fire it up w/out lifter pedestal ... FUBAR motor. Trashed block, heads, pistons, pushrods, etc. Time to melt it all down to make beer cans. Shop went out of business, but promised to make it right, did another build for me with donor parts ... and spun bearing.
I'd done whooped someone's *** for being a ****** idiot..sounds like they couldnt find their *** from a hole in a ground.
No wonder why they went out of business.

Then again after the first spun bearing I wouldve taken it somewhere's else..expecially after the Lifter Pedistal..sounds like a bunch of meth heads that were just there geekin tryin to make money.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it AC delco unit? If not replace it.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

It should come up as soon as you start it, unless its low on oil. Might not be anything. Worst case its your pickup tube oring.

post a vid of cold start showing the gauge maybe?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Might be a defective oil filter. Most have a valve that closes when engine is off to keep oil from draining back to the oil pan. Your issue is what happens to my car when I change the oil and there's no oil in the filter.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks y'all ...

I'm about due for an oil change. I had thought about the anti-drainback not working. I'll do an oil change to break in the lift I'm picking up for the garage.

If the filter change doesn't do it, I'll post a quick vid. As for the sender, yes, it's Delco from the dealership.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bone stock 231k 5.3 shows OP instantly and when the TA had the stock 5.7 it did too. The 403 takes a second or so and I have always wondered about this but never worried about it too much...... The 403 has a new OP switch and Melling oil lpump....

Quick Reply: Oil pressure lag - '01 WS6