General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

air lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air lid

i've got an slp air lid set up with the smooth bellows,duct work,etc. (my first mod) the lid has always fit like ****. i need to know who has one that fits !! this has been a pain for 5 years. stock throttle body. any help from any of you brilliant people would be extremely appriciated. price? don't poke me in the but too hard but, need on that fits and performs. thanks.. oldman.....
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Often it's the aftermarket bellows that cause difficult fitment of a lid.

I've had an SLP lid on my '02 car for nearly 5 years now, it's always fit perfect (stock bellow). And I've had a Whisper lid on my '98 car for over 7 years, it's always fit perfect as well (also stock bellow). Prior to that, I had a different Whisper lid on both my '99 and '00 cars for a total of 5 years between the two cars, and it always fit perfect on both of those cars too (again, stock bellows).

Since the smooth bellow is only worth about 0.3hp, you might want to try putting the stock one back on and see if the lid fits any better with that.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Launching!

I don't like the smooth bellows or fernco mod either. Always seems to distort the lid. The stock bellows works just fine.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the above responses. I've had lid from at least three different brands, and the three SLP lids I've owned have by far had the nicest fit.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Default air lid

the problem i'm having is the 4 tabs at the rear of the lid (by the maf) have trouble sliding and staying in the molded slots on the top of the radiator support. i used a heat gun and molded it to engage somewhat but it's still not right. i guess i'll heat it some more an see what i can come up with. by the way i am calling the bellows the right part aren't i ? it's the rubber coupling that holds the maf on one side and the throttle body on the other with hose clamps correct?? my pre sentations need polish. i'm just thinking if thats it then the ridges of the stock one disrupts air flow, as compared to smooth??? oldman....
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
the problem i'm having is the 4 tabs at the rear of the lid (by the maf) have trouble sliding and staying in the molded slots on the top of the radiator support. i used a heat gun and molded it to engage somewhat but it's still not right. i guess i'll heat it some more an see what i can come up with. by the way i am calling the bellows the right part aren't i ? it's the rubber coupling that holds the maf on one side and the throttle body on the other with hose clamps correct?? my pre sentations need polish. i'm just thinking if thats it then the ridges of the stock one disrupts air flow, as compared to smooth??? oldman....
Yes, the bellow is that rubber coupling. The ridges don't do much to disrupt air flow. I've never seen anyone gain anything measureable from a smooth bellow alone. The real gains in this regard are from the better neck of the aftermarket air lids, and deletion of the air silencers connected to the stock lid.

When those tabs don't fully seat, it's usually because the lid isn't on the MAF far enough, or because the entire assembly is pushed too far out due to the aftermarket bellows. You'd probably find that everything fits perfectly if you still have the stock bellow to test in it's place.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

just saw in the gen 3 external engine mods a person porting his stock lid i think i know where that coupling is.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

one other thing to watch for is to make sure that the tightining screw for the clamp that holds the lid on the maf sensor is not on the bottom. There isnt enough room for it between the lid and the core support
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

thank you folks for your support.the slp lid has a bow in it at the inner most tabs at the back where the air duct transforms to round. if i notch the bellow @ the TB it might give it more room to slide back to fit more correctly. oh by the way i bought a coupling @ home depot for the coupling between the maf and the lid. could anyone tell me if the local autozone,o'reillys,oradvance would have these? i went thru mid am motorworks and bought the screen eliminator for the maf . i guess take the lid and my old housing to auto parts and fit up. sometimes i have a brain fart and make stuff harder than they seem. thanks folks. old.man....