General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 LS1 with a MS4 running rich with Squeak coming out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LS1 with a MS4 running rich with Squeak coming out of the exhaust

I just had a MS4, Lifters, Push Rods, & Valve Springs installed on my 98 Trans Am. LSX Powersports did the install but it is running very rich & had more power in the higher gears before the upgrades, it also has a squeaking noise coming out of the exhaust that wasn't there before? I took it back to them & was told that the cam's power band was 4000rpm & higher & said they didn't know what the squeak was & that the O2 sensors were bad. Long story short my car was faster before the upgrades. Any suggestions? My other upgrades include Long Tube Headers, SLP Exhaust, & LS6 intake.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,220 Posts

I would expect that cam to run like garbage without tuning. You did not mention getting a tune, so I assume that this is your problem, and I would start there.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would expect that cam to run like garbage without tuning. You did not mention getting a tune, so I assume that this is your problem, and I would start there.
I did get a tune, took it back & had them tune it again. My main concern is the sqeaking out the exhaust, I can always have it tuned somewhere else.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

I also just did a cam swap. Speed inc si6 cam with all new parts. My exhaust now has a squeak noise to it. I didn't get a tune yet though. Could be the pipes, but I made sure they were tight.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

i would def get a tune for it.. it will run 10 times better
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by white98ss
i would def get a tune for it.. it will run 10 times better
I'm getting a tune on April 23rd! I just want the squeak to go away. I'm sure the op does also.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

are you sure it's not the exhaust itself squeaking?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I already let you know we can't completely tune that car until you fixed a few things. The transmission being the main problem, you can't **** the transmission whatsoever without it grinding into gear. And a few good pulls the clutch sticks at the floor. And the o2s are a major problem too when it comes to tuning it. I don't mind retuning it once the few things are fixed, but the car will be faster and run 10x better once the few things are fixed and we can actually drive it hard to tune it. I would love to see you leave happy, but until we get everything right on the car and get it tuned, you won't be happy with it. And I have no idea what the squeak is, I'm still stumped on that one
Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Sounds like they should fix it for you, That's what customer service is about. If the noise wasn't there before, It shouldn't be there now. As far as a tune, I would recommend finding someone with more experience. They are still in the learning stages, It'll take them a while to get good. I hear they just blew up a 7000 mile SS trail blazer..........don't let yours be the next one.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onefastjd
Sounds like they should fix it for you, That's what customer service is about. If the noise wasn't there before, It shouldn't be there now. As far as a tune, I would recommend finding someone with more experience. They are still in the learning stages, It'll take them a while to get good. I hear they just blew up a 7000 mile SS trail blazer..........don't let yours be the next one.
You heard wrong, we didnt tune the ss trailblazer, and it didnt have only 7000 miles on it. Get your own crap together before you worry about ours. How is the partnership with John going?

Quick Reply: 98 LS1 with a MS4 running rich with Squeak coming out of the exhaust