General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

?'s to Ask When You're Calling About a Used Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?'s to Ask When You're Calling About a Used Car

So if you find an LS powered Camaro or Firebird, what are some of the less "known" questions you'd want to ask before starting a 2-3 hour one-way trip to look at the car? We all know about mileage, # of owners, mechanical issues, paint, etc., etc. I'm thinking after looking at a Firebird a month or three ago:

1. Slow window motors
2. Headlight motors on Firebirds
3. Cracked door panels
4. Trunk release button
5. Leaking T-tops

I'm sure you guys can list more things to ask over the phone that I'm not familiar with.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the car modded at all? I few I always ask are:

1. Is the sail panel bubbling? It's common on f-bodies, looks like acne

2. If it has a power antenna does it work? Mine is stuck down and I get terrible FM reception.

3. Does the rearend whine?

4. If you have emissions requirements, ask if all the smog/EGR stuff is still in place. People pull those out all the time.

5. Is the dash cracked?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do all speakers & the radio in the car work ?
What kind of condition are the Rear tires in?

- Minor , but good price negotiating points.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
1. Is the sail panel bubbling? It's common on f-bodies, looks like acne

Every '99+ F-body is at risk for this, as are '98s that were built in 05/98 or later (this is when the process began to change, causing the issue) - unless you never expose the car to sun. Darker colored roofs will get it faster/worse.

It's an expensive repair unless you can find a used panel and do the labor yourself. If you buy a new reproduction panel from 6LE (only company currenty making it, GM discontinued the panel several years ago) and pay a body shop to do the work, you're looking at a $1k expense at least.

Many pages of details on the issue:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ummies-88.html
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

lots of good info here, I could think of a few more but this is a good start.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Couldnt agree more with everyone in this thread. Remember, all fbodies has certain lilttle quirks like cracked door panels, small tears on driver seat, etc. this stuff, while crappy, should be expected.

The big one is if the engine has been modded in any way. I can deal with mods like exhaust or suspension but if the engine has been touched, paperwork is key. Everytime I come across a car that has the engine modded (like the last 3 NBM TA's) and the owner doesnt have the paperwork to back it up, the discussion is over and I'm on my way back home. Not about to take any chances. Ask about the rear end too, thats another big one even though it is common for them to crap out.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they live in a snowy area, or beach, make sure that the bottom was undercoated to protect from corrosion.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ask if the tranny has been rebuilt if its an auto with about 100k+. And as stated above cracked dash,ripped seats etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

A lot of good responses in this thread, but honestly I would either go look at the car or request a lot of pictures. From my experiences, buyers either make their cars sound better or worse then they actually are. I actually had someone tell me that the body was in great shape, and when I showed up to look at the car there was a bullet hole in the car, with that said it's fair the say I didnt buy that car and wasted 2 hours driving there and back. But its worth a little time here and there to find what you really want and not to settle for something just to get it.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
A lot of good responses in this thread, but honestly I would either go look at the car or request a lot of pictures. From my experiences, buyers either make their cars sound better or worse then they actually are. I actually had someone tell me that the body was in great shape, and when I showed up to look at the car there was a bullet hole in the car, with that said it's fair the say I didnt buy that car and wasted 2 hours driving there and back. But its worth a little time here and there to find what you really want and not to settle for something just to get it.
This^^^^

I went about 2 months without a dd until i found the ws6.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

1.ask for a picture of the drivers seat- look for high wear areas around the side bolsters.

2. color of tranny fluid- pic make sure it is red and not brown

3. pic of oil, make sure it is not chocolate.

4. I would ask for a video of it running.-

5. Does it have the stock stereo- if it does do all the lights on it work- the display has a tendency to go out.

6. Can you talk to the previous owner- if they say yes it most likely good to go, if they say no I would be worried. If you get a chance to talk to the previous owner ask him if the tranny slips/mods/etc...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking to the previous owner is a good idea, but I have to be honest I've long since lost the number of the guy I bought my car from. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have the number of any previous owners of my cars, I should start keeping track of those. I wouldn't be too worried if the seller doesn't have that info, but maybe you could get the prev owner's name from a Carfax?

I don't think anyone's mentioned Carfax yet either. It's always good to run a history check on the car you're looking at.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Teching In

1) Run a carfax

2) Pictures from all sides

3) Picture from under hood

4) Odometer picture

5) Picture of the wheels (if they are f'd, the owner didn't care about the car)

6) Ask what it runs in the quarter (maybe its abused or maybe its built right)

Power window motors (if you do it yourself) and power antennas can be fixed cheap and not something to be too concerned about.

2. If it has a power antenna does it work? Mine is stuck down and I get terrible FM reception.
Buy a new one. They are only $134 new and only take a couple minutes to change.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

So I just sold my camaro ss and I was suprised the guy came , I gave him the keys and said search anything you want .. All he did was sit in the driver seat and start it and popped the hood and looked real quick and said I want this :0 .. I was like u don't wanna test drive it? He said he didn't have time .. So I automatically thought he was wasting my time .. Well yesterday he gave me the funds and took the car .. And he never even test drove it :0 I was amazed it was his first muscle car he before said he had cheapy little Hondas and stuff .. He is based at my base so the funds and hisself are legit .. Crazy though ..
Anyways I am now looking to buy a car and I was interested in a car with a built/9 inch rear end
A built clutch/trans M6
And some engine work done ..
Now with this stuff i am looking for on the car, what Qs should I ask and look for ?
And why is paper work so important ? Sorry just learning still how to be safe buying a car
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
So I just sold my camaro ss and I was suprised the guy came , I gave him the keys and said search anything you want .. All he did was sit in the driver seat and start it and popped the hood and looked real quick and said I want this :0 .. I was like u don't wanna test drive it? He said he didn't have time .. So I automatically thought he was wasting my time .. Well yesterday he gave me the funds and took the car .. And he never even test drove it :0 I was amazed it was his first muscle car he before said he had cheapy little Hondas and stuff .. He is based at my base so the funds and hisself are legit .. Crazy though ..
Anyways I am now looking to buy a car and I was interested in a car with a built/9 inch rear end
A built clutch/trans M6
And some engine work done ..
Now with this stuff i am looking for on the car, what Qs should I ask and look for ?
And why is paper work so important ? Sorry just learning still how to be safe buying a car
IMO paperwork is really only good for proof of whats inside the engine. I have a few invoices (my long block) but alot of the crap on my car I don't but you can see it with your eyes.

As far as not being able to talk to the previous owners being a no go. If I was ever selling my car and they guy said he wanted to talk to the previous owner I have no clue how I could get a hold of him I could maybe find it through whitepages.com as I remember his name, but I would get pretty irked if someone called me about a car I had sold years ago. Not to mention what good is it? You can ruin a car in a matter of months, so what if the previous owners talks about how great the car is and it turns out to be fucked up once you buy it from the current owner?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never buy a used car without test driving first. Alot of issues will come up. Do moderate to hard braking/acceleration. Listen for whines, clunks, metal scraping noises unless the car is so loud like mine you can't hear anything. lOL.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah i was suprised when he wanted it and didn't want to test drive it .. But he came from little beater cars so I think he was affraid to drive it with me in the car ? Idk.. It is a suto so not much skill required , but I told him its not no stock Honda .. So becareful when you step on it or make turns and step on it .. So I hope he drives it safe and takes care of it ..
Now when buying a modded car where can you take it to get checked? A performance shop? Or a dealer ?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Does the car have the factory or an aftermarket alarm and if it is working?.I've seen some really F'cked up alarm repair/installs that cause all kind of issues..