General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

00 ws6 getting SFC and Tune to round off the season

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question 00 ws6 getting SFC and Tune to round off the season

hi guys
just feel like doin an update while asking the audience a question. so i finally ordered some weld in 2pt J&M Sub Frame Connectors from colorado speed. they are to arrive in two days but I must say it took them a week to process the order (order placed on monday and on friday i finally asked what was the deal with only getting an order received email) I was rather surpprised at the minimal communication from them. I'm assuming this is normal?

Anyway im getting them welded in by either a performance transmission shop i just heard about Competition Transmission or my usual Muffler Man at the same time as welding in my currently clamped on Magnaflow muffler. im still a little hurt about paying Muffler man $500 pure labor (only $25 for gasket) to reseal one side of my long tube headers since the previous owner tried to do a backyard install and failed. I feel i really feel i got BURNED on that deal basically paying for the parts myself and I suppose that the performance tranny place i found out about will be able to field my odd clutch issue questions. that being when i down shifted/revmatched one gear at a time 6-5-4-3 and the stick got locked in mid-gate (no grinding) and the car was stuck in neutral on the highway!

I have been quoted $150 to weld in the SFC and $50 to weld the preinstalled muffler. How do these prices sound to you? I was expecting like $75 for welding the SFC ( i only paid $100 for the parts for cryin out loud)

The best and most hopefull thing in the coming weeks is I finally decided to Go for it and call up New Era Performance in Rochester and schedule my date for a tune! The previous owner got the car tuned with the headers loose and now the car runs rich on bolth banks causing engine codes for rich condition and slow O2 sensor switching as my mechanic and I believe. We swapped out MAF's and no change and the boltons shuld technically cause the stock tune to run LEAN by default he said getting more air with the intake mods. I'm counting on the boys at New Era to fix this check engine light so I can get my car inspected yearly NO WORRIES! I've heard good things of them and can't wait to get it runing right to end this driving season and make the start of next MUCH LESS STRESSFUL

So recapping - Opinions on Colorado Speed? Is $150 to weld in 2pt SFC a usual cost (new era said $75/hr and usually 3-4hr)??
Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Also last week i installed a factory replacement rear transmission mount as per suggestions against the much cheaper Poly Energy suspension replacements. the Poly i got at a speed-shop for $30 and went online to get opinions and rather than deal with interior rattles i went to advance and got the anchor factory replacement for $70. And WHAT A DIFFERENCE! this is one of the best repairs/mods i can imagine. the shifter feels much more solid/firm and it shakes less at redlights. This was a simple driver-satisfaction repair and one i mush highly recommend to anyone on the fence about spending the bigger bux.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

If I remember correctly, my friend installed my bolt-in SFC in less than one hour. I would ask the shop how long they expect it will take them to get the job done. I would expect to get charged for only one hour of labor, maybe a little more.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy some of theses shop like to bend you over but thats how they pay there overhead !!! I was quoted $500 to install LT headers & Off Road Y-Pipe but that was just to get a idea so i knew what to charge a friend to do the job for him but of course i charged him less than half of that !!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There could be many good reasons as to why the parts order took a while to process.
But You could post a thread about it in the sponsor feedback section.

$500 to reseal 1 of the headers?

Most credible places may charge that much to completely reinstall the headers & throw the gaskets in there for free.

I 'd think any place that has installed SFCs on fbodies, or any car for that matter should be able to install them within an hour or so (IMO).

Depending on how they charge,hourly or by job, yes techincally the labor can cost more than the part.

$50 to just weld the muffler instead of being clamped on is kind of high and deserves some break if you are going to same muffler man.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 25 to get mine welded in
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

got my headers installed for $250
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

yea im not going to muffler man again. that was rape. i work at a parts store and one of the shops i deliver to said they will quote the SFC install if i can bring it in. so weds i made my appointment and probably will get the sfc and muffler welded in.
i dont feel bad abt being charged so heavily in comparison to a friend doing the install of headers but when you reminded me it was only for one side..the job was really taking the ory off and the one side and reinstalling so its basically a full install, all i know is this after market exhaust is causing more headaches than its worth.
and i did put up a bitch certainly but they played the game we cant lower labor rates because the worker has to get paid his wage. they claim working with the customer on parts cost is much less a problem. but f*ck it all i want is to get it so the car passes inspection without clearing stupid emissions codes.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

thats obv. to a friend for $25
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Launching!

It was at a muffler shop on a slow day i guess price just matters on location and work the shop has
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

The exhaust shop near me quoted me around 500$ to make my y pipe from the manifolds to the staight. Found a dude that does it from his garage for around 200$ and he did a fantastic job. Plus it was done same day
Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of muffler shops charge by the weld, so for 3 welds it doesn't sound too crazy. A shop charged me $15 to weld my I pipe together, but I just handed him a 20 since it was busy and he pulled my car right in so i didn't have to wait.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

wow i drove out to get it tuned today as per my appointment made over a week ago and after a hour drive im told i cant get a (street) tune done on account of the rain. f*ck
well atleast it was a long drive like i been wanting to do this summer.. now i dont think im gonna tune it this year. just get the sfc and exhaust welded up and be done untill new era finally gets their new dyno
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Default Sfc installed

done! I got my SFC installed yesterday and im very glad i followed the recommended first mod! the 2 point SFC noticeably strengthened the chassis just leaving the parking-lot! Squeaks and rattles cure that is much needed on an old GM, the car noticeably sticks to a line going thru turns better and feels much more confident on the road.

the work was done at Sound Choice Auto and Performance, a shop i once interned at during highschool. He got me in the day i called, was priced at the competitions lowest quote and let me have a sweet shirt (it really does have a nice design). I couldnt be happier with my TA's SFC install.

The muffler welding i will get done at a muffler shop quick and cheap (use some connections thru work) and as for tuning at New Era im just gonna hold off Untill i can get a proper Dyno tune and get those bragging rights numbers as i fix the running rich condition too.
Well thats all she wrote folks, thanks for the input and read

Quick Reply: 00 ws6 getting SFC and Tune to round off the season