General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

mpg is bad !!!! on cammed ls1 need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy mpg is bad !!!! on cammed ls1 need help !!

my car is getting really terrible mpg i have a automatic 3600 stall torquer v2 cam and 373 gears my injectors are making a pissing sound when it hits 3rd or 4th and when i go in reverse my car has trouble idling should a dyno tune fix all that or should i go with a smaller cam and no stall ??? need help plzzzz!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Is the car tuned at all for the cam gears and stall? If not you definately need one
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a damn tune. If you have one you need to take your business elsewhere or let them re-tune it as the current tune sucks.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by agarcia01z
my car is getting really terrible mpg i have a automatic 3600 stall torquer v2 cam and 373 gears my injectors are making a pissing sound when it hits 3rd or 4th and when i go in reverse my car has trouble idling should a dyno tune fix all that or should i go with a smaller cam and no stall ??? need help plzzzz!!!!!!!
Has it always been that way(if so find a new tuner!) or is this something that has just started recently?
IMO, if it's in the tune then your tuner should be able to fix it, or at least let you know what's possibly at fault.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good tune should fix most of your issues, other than the MPG (due to camshaft and converter). However, if your tune is way off, you may see a little better MPGs with a better tune as well.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

yes it has been tuned i had it tuned by texas-speed and the car worked perfect but when i moved down south i put the stall and gears and tuned by excessive motorsports it has been acting up bad when i put it in reverse the car has trouble idling and sometimes turns off and when i stop at a stop light the car jerks shifting to 1st and then has trouble idling and also everytime i put gas and i took the car back plenty of times and all they say is there is really nothing else they can do and i dont want to spend even more money to have another person tune it should i just go with a smaller cam like the tsp 220/220 and no stall cuz the power band starts at 1200 ????
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes it has been tuned i had it tuned by texas-speed and the car worked perfect but when i moved down south i put the stall and gears and tuned by excessive motorsports it has been acting up bad when i put it in reverse the car has trouble idling and sometimes turns off and when i stop at a stop light the car jerks shifting to 1st and then has trouble idling and also everytime i put gas and i took the car back plenty of times and all they say is there is really nothing else they can do and i dont want to spend even more money to have another person tune it should i just go with a smaller cam like the tsp 220/220 and no stall cuz the power band starts at 1200 ????
A reputable tuner would re tune it for you for free. Show them that it's running like ***. Assuming of course that the problem is in fact because of the tune.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Teching In

i have went back and told them that but they just keep saying nothing is wrong with it and we cant do anything else and now they say the dyno tune might help with all the problems i am having but i dont want to waist money to find out it acts the same way if not worse
Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rule #1 about modding cars, go to places your friends go to or know of a reputable place.

you had it tuned at a pep boys or somethin?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

I have a 3600 stall with a stage 2 shift kit it takes a while to get used to sometimes when i back up too slow and im cutting the corner sharp my car dies on me now with a cam i can see the problem happening more often. Like everyone said tho you do need to go to a different tuner one that either your friends go too or one that everyone and their dog goes to. tell the tuner what the deal is and see if he can take a look at it also if the tuner recommends a new tune then talk to your old tuner and make him pay for it since he didn't do his job right!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a horrible tune.....I have an M6 and don't know much about stalls but don't they mess up line pressure and shift points if it's not tuned right? Did the same shop install and "tune" everything?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumb couple of questions...

you check fuel pressure at rail?

you check your plugs and compression?

also may want to remove injectors and reverse flush them. replace o-rings, dont re-use.

I am thinking the tuner knows what is wrong but does not want to fix your motor.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Teching In

yea ill try all that and yess he dosent really care at all about my car since i dont know him nore anyone at the shop and also thats what im worried about cuz my trans dosent feel like its shifting right anymore and it jerks alot shifting to 1st and it makes a loud rubbing poping noise when i dont completely stop and get off the brakes i think i should just change to an m6 lmao
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

yea ill try all that and yess he dosent really care at all about my car since i dont know him nore anyone at the shop and also thats what im worried about cuz my trans dosent feel like its shifting right anymore and it jerks alot shifting to 1st and it makes a loud rubbing poping noise when i dont completely stop and get off the brakes i think i should just change to an m6 lmao
just go and get another tune from someone else and tell the guy that originally tuned it to pay for it since he messed it up. Was it Jeremy Formato? bc his tuned messed my trans up so i wouldn't recommend going to him.

Quick Reply: mpg is bad !!!! on cammed ls1 need help !!