General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

MAF Cleaner works great!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Cleaner works great!

So for the past 3 days or so my car had felt sluggish, or almost as if it wasn't getting enough fuel under throttle. Yesterday, i decided to go WOT for the first time to see how it responded and it scared the **** out of me. i was in 2nd gear around 40 and right when i stomped the pedal the car fell on its face! I mean right when the needle hit 2400rpm my head jerked forward and the rpms were stuck bouncing between 2400-3000rpm. My first thought was a misfire because of the sudden power loss, or my fuel pump. I decided to start with my cheapest option(or so i thought) and replace the fuel filter, that didnt work. Then my buddy had the idea that the MAF sensor was acting up so we head out to advance and picked up some CRC MAF Cleaner for $7.

It took me a total of 10 minutes to take out the MAF, spray it clean, and re install it. We took it for a drive and all i can say it wow. it was amazing! It feels like a whole new car! I thought i could tell a slight difference in throttle response when i had my TB ported, but this a whole new feel. The torque between 1200-2500rpms is insane! No more power loss at 2500rpm what so ever. It runs exceptionally smoother. Not to mention the cars never broken loose on a 45 roll until now

Even if theres no reason to do it, do it. If it wasnt for the car falling on its face at 2500rpm, i would never have done this. Which means i would have never known the amount of torque ive been missing out on in the low rpm range!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Last time i tried cleaning my MAF my last car never idle'd right again. Won't touch that thing again haha.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

MAFs definitely need to be clean for proper operation.

I clean mine every ~15k miles or so, just to get the best possibile results from it. This is even more important for those people using K&N filters, since the filter oil can and does leave a bit of film residue on the MAF wires.

I've been using the rubbing alcohol and Q-tip method to clean my MAFs for at least 13 years now. Some people are terrified of this method and think it will damage it, but it absolutely will not damage it if you do it correctly and don't apply any pressure. I've tried the spray cleaners, and they are certainly better than nothing but they don't ever get the wires quite as clean as letting an alcohol soaked Q-tip gently glide along the surface of the wires.

Either way, keeping the MAF clean is always a good idea for best driveability and overall engine performance.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't done this to my car since owning it ill probably do it this winter sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I need to clean mine as well. Where did you pick the cleaner up at?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FatZ28
I need to clean mine as well. Where did you pick the cleaner up at?
I picked up CRC MAF cleaner from Advance Auto for about 7 bucks. Well worth it!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We recommend some of our customers clean their MAFs prior to bringing their cars in for a dyno, since they can bring some tuning issues when dirty.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Launching!

I bought my car 2 months ago with 99 k. I had the same problem car wold hesitate at 2400 2600 like you said fall on its face. When I did my lid I tried to clean my maf. I noticed the sensor was bent the little metal part looks like a spring. I then restared after cleaning and car ran worse. I then went to autosone and bought a new one . Car was like a brand new car night and day. I must of been losing 20-30 hp I swear. Im very happy now with my new tsp longtube it is a beast. Im saving for heads and cam from tsp
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Launching!

My Z doesn't seem to have a problem but my 99 GMC pickup has that exact symptom. Never thought about cleaning the MAF, it will get done now!! Will clean the Z also, every little bit helps! Thanks for the info!! Larry
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm so scared to do anything to my MAF so i never touch it, my car runs right with other cars at its power level so I leave it be until I notice any different.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
my car runs right with other cars at its power level
"Now that's funny! I don't care who you are", Larry the cable guy would say.

Not trying to be a jerk SnakeSkinner, just having some fun.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Good deal dude... I had an issue once when I was out west when the car was seriously DUMPING fuel. Just out of the blue. Was watching the gauge drop just in about 5 miles. Cleaned the MAF and it went away..
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I clean mine every ~15k miles or so, just to get the best possibile results from it. This is even more important for those people using K&N filters, since the filter oil can and does leave a bit of film residue on the MAF wires.

I've been using the rubbing alcohol and Q-tip method to clean my MAFs for at least 13 years now. Some people are terrified of this method and think it will damage it, but it absolutely will not damage it if you do it correctly and don't apply any pressure. I've tried the spray cleaners, and they are certainly better than nothing but they don't ever get the wires quite as clean as letting an alcohol soaked Q-tip gently glide along the surface of the wires.

Either way, keeping the MAF clean is always a good idea for best driveability and overall engine performance.
Completely agree with this. When I first installed my CAI, I got a little too trigger happy with the oil. Found out that the overoiling can crud up the MAF sensor. Bought that cleaner, took it all apart, sprayed it up, and I can feel a difference.

I like the qtip idea, but am a bit nervous about it. Think I might give it a try anyway. Don't see how the spray can get all of the gook off of those wires. If the cleaner helped, I would expect a more thorough cleaning with the qtip would be even better.

Thanks for posting this.

Originally Posted by Doctor K
Completely agree with this. When I first installed my CAI, I got a little too trigger happy with the oil. Found out that the overoiling can crud up the MAF sensor. Bought that cleaner, took it all apart, sprayed it up, and I can feel a difference.

I like the qtip idea, but am a bit nervous about it. Think I might give it a try anyway. Don't see how the spray can get all of the gook off of those wires. If the cleaner helped, I would expect a more thorough cleaning with the qtip would be even better.

Thanks for posting this.
Update on this post...

After reading this thread, I took my MAF sensor out last night and cleaned it using the Qtip and alcohol method. Keep in mind, I had already used the MAF cleaner spray product.

I was amazed how much crud that was still present on the sensor wires (and the metal braces they are attached to). Went through about a half a dozen new Qtips soaked in alcohol cleaning everything off.

All I can say is that using the Qtips and alcohol really cleaned well. I was really afraid I was going to break one of the little wires, but was just very careful by not applying pressure and just passing the Qtip over the compenents. I thought it was clean after using the cleaner, but it is really clean now.

Thanks again for posting the information about using Qtips and alcohol. I plan to add this task to my yearly maintenance list.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor K
Update on this post...

After reading this thread, I took my MAF sensor out last night and cleaned it using the Qtip and alcohol method. Keep in mind, I had already used the MAF cleaner spray product.

I was amazed how much crud that was still present on the sensor wires (and the metal braces they are attached to). Went through about a half a dozen new Qtips soaked in alcohol cleaning everything off.

All I can say is that using the Qtips and alcohol really cleaned well. I was really afraid I was going to break one of the little wires, but was just very careful by not applying pressure and just passing the Qtip over the compenents. I thought it was clean after using the cleaner, but it is really clean now.

Thanks again for posting the information about using Qtips and alcohol. I plan to add this task to my yearly maintenance list.
I'm glad this was helpful to you.

I am a firm believer in using this method, especially when K&N-type filters are in use. A spray cleaner by itself never seems to get the wires fully clean. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been doing it this way for over a decade now and have never damaged any MAF using my routine. It's just a matter of not applying any significant pressure, just let the q-tip glide over the surface exactly like you did.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Just did the qtip and alcohol technique. I can definitely feel that my midrange is smoother!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

I am new but can anyone post a picture of what part of the maf needs cleaning ?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
I am new but can anyone post a picture of what part of the maf needs cleaning ?
The little wires that go from top to bottom, not the screen part it's the actual wires.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=833
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Had a buddy pick up 25rwhp after cleaning his MAF on a head cam car. I see a lot of people chase their tales with the only problem being a dirty MAF.

The above method works.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Teching In

Just recently cleaned mine with CRC. Huge difference! Near 200k, thought I was having serious engine issues. A little geeked here about the Q-tip method.... Gonna do it tomorrow. Great read!

Quick Reply: MAF Cleaner works great!