General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Header install worth $400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I wonder what the stock exhaust manifold replacement flat rate time is. They may be basing it off that.

And it's free if you do it yourself. Did mine in my garage with my cousin and a case of beer. Took me a while, but I was working on the ground and with hand tools and I didn't know the car that well at the time.
Flat rate for mounts and exhaust would have his labor rate @ $40 hr
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headers.pdf (116.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Wow... Nevermind then. $40/hr was late 80's prices?? Was $90/hr when I was at a dealership in 2000.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's time consuming because of all the roadblocks you could run into. It's not a difficult job to do and only requires basic tools. You could do it at your house no problem.

That being said, when you're dealing with getting things lined up, breaking a header bolt, tightening those back header bolts, reaching the dipstick bolt, rusted bolts on the manifolds/ypipe/catback, sliding the headers in that tiny space from the bottom, potential block clearance issues, fitting the y-pipe so it doesnt hit the floor, etc etc etc. It all comes down to how much time you have. And that's just the headers, not to mention the motor mounts.

If you budget a few hours on a Sunday and you know you need your car Monday morning, it may not be for you. If you like tinkering and enjoy the work involved it's one of the more rewarding jobs because you can hear and fell the fruits of your labor.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Easy job did mine in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Took about 5 hours by myself. Only problem i had was i couldnt get the damn back passenger spark plug wire off,must of spent atleast an hour on that thing. Plugs are a breeze to put in now!

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 02-08-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clean98z-28
Easy job did mine in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Took about 5 hours by myself. Only problem i had was i couldnt get the damn back passenger spark plug wire off,must of spent atleast an hour on that thing. Plugs are a breeze to put in now!

Same thing happened to me. Sat on top of the engine for what seemed like almost an hour pulling on that stupid back passenger spark plug wire. I remember I could barely get my finger tips on it so I couldn't get a good grip. Finally it just popped off and I was soooo happy and exhausted, LOL. The other frustrating part was getting my Texas Speed y pipe together. It took me a really long time to figure it out. There aren't any markings (at least a few years ago when I did it) on the pipes of how they orient and it's in like 5 peices or something? I'd put it all together and then put it under the car and the angles were all wrong. And I couldn't twist the pipes and adjust the angles while they were still together because they fit so tightly that once they were even slightly connected they wouldn't budge inside of one another. After a lot of trial and error I FINALLY started to figure out how the angles went and got it tucked up where I wanted it pretty good.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I paid $150 back in 2003 for my TA and long tubes and that included redoing the y pipe.

Quick Reply: Header install worth $400?