General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Yes. You CAN fit a bike rack on a 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yes. You CAN fit a bike rack on a 4th Gen

I've seen people wonder, and ask, and I've found a solution. Yes, you can put a bike rack on a 4th Gen Camaro. Probably the Firebirds too. I don't know if it will clear their wing or not though.

This is the Saris Bones 2 Rack. The Bones 3 will also fit as it's the same base design.

The bike(s) will clear the car. You have to make sure the inside pedal clears the bumper. But that's it.

These are the side mounts. I'm surprised how much tension I can put on this seeing as it's just fiberglass but these corners can hold up. I don't know about longevity though as I just bought this rack.

For the F-Bodies, you'll have to get their Hatch Huggers for this to work. It's an extra $20 for the pair. This is how you get tension on the top straps since there's nowhere to safely put a hook. As far as I can tell, so far, they don't leave any marks on the headliner or hatch plastics.

The only downside I've seen so far is they pull on the stripping around the rear hatch. But since that piece is purely aesthetic, I'm not too worried about it myself. I don't know yet if they straps pulling on it will permanently deform them or not.

I also Dremel'ed out two little slots on the underside of the for the lower hooks; just for a little added strength.

And, shots of the rack sans bike. You can also see I put two Microfiber Cloths in between the car and the lower straps. Those two straps will rub on the rear bumper. I'll probably come up with a better design that actually slides over the straps eventually, but these will do for now.

*and yes, I've heard and read all of the "Just buy a truck!!", "I'd never do that to my Camaro!!", and everything in between. A single $130 investment is MUCH cheaper than even a beater truck, and when this is your only car, you make due. This rack works phenomenally.

**Oh, and lastly. This rack is VERY secure to the car. Once everything is tightened down properly, I can grab the rack, shake it it every direction, and the car moves from it; barely a wiggle from the rack. I did take it on the expressway twice today and it's very sturdy. I didn't take it over 65-70mph though because it does get a little bit of a wiggle L-R at higher speeds. But as long as it's tightened down all the way, it doesn't move around on the car.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Yet further demonstration of f-body versatility! And to think people bag on our cars for being impractical.

I was helping my daughter move. When I had loaded up my car, she said, "I can't believe how much you got in there!" Yeah, I know ... tell me about it ...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the larger question though is....why? hehe
Old 09-22-2013, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you fold the back seat down you can fit a whole bike in the hatch. I've done it.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I think the larger question though is....why? hehe
Cause I like biking, and Camaro's? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one.

Originally Posted by Latch
If you fold the back seat down you can fit a whole bike in the hatch. I've done it.
Yes. You can. In fact, that's how I transported the bike I just sold. It is, however, a MASSIVE pain in the ***. Seats have to be moved forwards, towels or blankets have to be laid down to protect the interior from grease, and it destroys your back trying to put it in. I'll stick to this solution.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather just put a trailer hitch on my car and use the kind of rack that slides into it.

or buy a cheap used S10.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha thats wicked. First time I see something like it
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice!

What's next now, hitching a 5th wheel to a camaro?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lotus289
Cause I like biking, and Camaro's? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one.
Sorry man, I was just poking fun that you carried a bike on a gas guzzler. Didn't mean any harm.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Sorry man, I was just poking fun that you carried a bike on a gas guzzler. Didn't mean any harm.
I figured, my comment was all in jest as well. I never did consider our cars gas guzzlers though. I avg around 22-City and 28-Hwy.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

not something i wud do, but props for sharing another option for some.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a lightweight full frame aluminum bike. I can 1 hand it into the car without having to take off wheels or worry about moving seats.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think the question was ever, could you. It was always, why would you.

Haha.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
I dont think the question was ever, could you. It was always, why would you.

Haha.
Scenario:

Nice day, blue sky. Perfect day for a cruise, but your buddies wanna hit up a bike trail. Now you can haul *** to the trail, on the trail and on the way home.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'd rather just put a trailer hitch on my car and use the kind of rack that slides into it.

I was thinking that would be a much easier, better solution, even if it was more $$$$ up front. That whole getup we have pictured here would drive me nuts since you can't open the hatch. Plus it looks like a PITA to put on/off, those trailer hitch ones are easy, just one pin and it comes on/off.

I really see those little "hook" things hanging onto the side of the spoiler/hatch flexing the fiberglass, thus cracking the paint.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you see cracked paint? Huh, I must be missing something. And obviously the better choice is to spend 3-4 times the cost of the rack for a hitch (that is seen forever) and the hitch racks. Why on earth would I choose to go the most cost effective route. Silly me, I guess I'll never learn. *sigh*

So, I guess, carry on. I'm quite enjoying this show.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Latch

I do this as well. My bike has a quick release on the front and take off the wheel for easy loading.

Quick Reply: Yes. You CAN fit a bike rack on a 4th Gen