General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Camaro Z/28 Will Cost $75,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitsalad

The point about the C6Z (7:22) being cheaper is still somewhat valid though.
Yes, but compare apples to apples. A new ZO6 was about 75k. You cant compare a used car to a new car. Anyone considering a new Z28 is not going to buy a used ZO6. There are very few people who have the ability AND means to push the Z28. The Z28 is a limited production vehicle and will have no issue selling out. This vehicle was NEVER meant to be purchased by the average joe (ZL1). I think thats what some people may have thought.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fruitsalad

The point about the C6Z (7:22) being cheaper is still somewhat valid though.
That is true unless you are looking to buy something new.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by LSM3
You cant compare a used car to a new car.
In general, I agree.

But the original point of this thread wasn't whether or not the car was "worth it" as compared to it's market competitors, but whether or not we as individuals felt it was worth it to us personally. Nothing that this car offers is worth $75k to me, regardless of how it's MSRP stands against it's closest competition. I'm not currently interested in being a competitive road racer, but if I was I would still rather buy a lightly used C6 Z06 since it would be the better value and option for the goal. I'm not the sort of person that MUST have a brand new car, so that factor doesn't matter to me for the sake of this comparasion.

Again, I think this thread was intended to be more about personal sentiments and less about whether the cost of this car can be justified in the general market as compared to other new cars. I'm quite sure there will be people who will buy it, for one or more of several reasons.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So 75 grand gets you 500 crank hp??? That's what a heads/cam ls1 makes on average lol
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

I had to reply...bottom line we argue the price because we want it and can't have it. IF we had the coin we would buy it! We are NOT the target audience. What IS the tool that buys it then looks for us to feel like yep I'm the king of the road. I've been looking for a tool in a GT500 when I'm in my 30th. Most of the time they can't drive either.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Launching!

People who only buy new cars like to waste money.. Unless you work for or have family that does and you get a nice discount luke our Ford A-plan.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IF you guys think GM is making a boatload of $$ on the Z28 they are not. You are not just paying for a vehicle, you are paying for the engineering that went into the vehicle.
What is this fancy engineering you speak of?

The Gen V chassis that's been out for 4 years? Or the LS7 engine that's been out for 8? Or the transmission that's been out for how many years?

The suspension is the only thing that's revolutionary and probably cost a boat load in R & D. But the rest of the car is basically using existing parts shoehorned together with less basic components than the regular car. Not exactly the epitome of expensive engineering.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
I had to reply...bottom line we argue the price because we want it and can't have it. IF we had the coin we would buy it!
Understand that you're not able to speak for everyone here when you make an assumption like this.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Understand that you're not able to speak for everyone here when you make an assumption like this.
Lets say I agree with what you have just said...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Not my intent at all...you can never speak for everyone.

My view was most with real money, don't place super high values on what things cost, they just take them. That is what I meant. No offence to those who place a value on bang for the buck. That is all.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So now is a Corvette a poor mans Camaro??
Old 01-06-2014, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan

The Gen V chassis that's been out for 4 years? Or the LS7 engine that's been out for 8? Or the transmission that's been out for how many years?

The suspension is the only thing that's revolutionary and probably cost a boat load in R & D. But the rest of the car is basically using existing parts shoehorned together with less basic components than the regular car. Not exactly the epitome of expensive engineering.
your forgetting the RD that goes into putting those off the shelf parts into the car. Then you also have to factor in any type of government inspections, testing, ect. That cost gets spread out across how man car over the course of a production run? the Z/28 is a limited run so the cost is being spread out over a lot less cars. meaning much higher sticker price.

Like others this is not a car set up for drag racing but one built for a road course. You pick the tool your going to use based on your needs same goes for a car.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What people seem to be forgetting is that the C6 Z06 is no longer in production, and this car is going to be just as fast or faster around the curves than that car was and for about the same price that the C6Z06 was when it first came out. The C7Z06 will likely be $85k+ base, so this car makes sense in the progression of GM's lineup IMO. Hell, with the carbon package, brake upgrade, and everything else you could get C6 Z06's well over $90k msrp and it still had an LS7-but with suspension that isn't as good as the new Z/28 will be...

It's a racecar they will only build for 2 years, kind of along the same line as Ford's Cobra R mustangs back in the day...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
What people seem to be forgetting is that the C6 Z06 is no longer in production
I don't think anyone is forgetting this. Corvettes, especially Z06s, are often toys and therefore it's very easy to find them on the used market in near-new condition with little mileage, even more so with an example as recent as the C6Z. They are still a relatively new car, so a low mileage and lightly used example is not an entirely unfair comparasion so long as you're not the type that *must* have a brand new car (this is where personal opinion/preference becomes a primary factor).

I agree that objectively, you can't directly compare a new car to a used car, but since this thread was presented in a subjective manner, I think this comparasion is fair on an individual-purpose level - especially since the newest Z06s are still under factory warranty.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
and this car is going to be just as fast or faster around the curves than that car was and for about the same price that the C6Z06 was when it first came out.
Faster? I haven't yet seen anything to indicate that, in fact the only data I can find seems to show the opposite.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Teching In

At this time I would buy a new Corvette and maybe an Impala instead of that new Z/28 but it seems that the Camaro tends to be a more collectible car years later, just look at the ZL1 Camaros of yesterday.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put some thought into this and when you really put some thought into it well its not as bad of a deal as your would think. Say you wanted this car and you cant actually do the work your self? Your going to have to buy a 34 + thousand dollar SS your going to have to pay them to swap out to ls7 Rework the suspension ect. Than your going to have to hope that you dont get harassed when you go to get it inspected every year if you live in the state that requires it. Oh and by the way ask the guy you had custom build the car for you to give you a 3 year 36 bumper to bumper and 5 year 100k power train warranty even if you break it at the track. The zl1 is warrantied at the track far as I know its the only current car that is I am sure Gm will do the same for the Z/28.

So for the guy that wants the car but cant really work on them and has the money well this isnt such a bad deal. For the guy who wants to buy a Z/28 because they want to buy the Z/28 name yeah Its a pretty bad deal.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

had big post lost in computer land. nutshell, more power to the guys that can afford it. i'll stick with what I can afford. if I encounter one on the street i'll test them a see if they check marked the ***** section on the order form and see if it does run on the street as well as mine.poser's beware!!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan

This. It should have been base car (V6/SS), track version(Z28), top of the line(ZL1) just like Corvette/Z06/ZR1 or 911/GT3/Turbo.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Goat
This. It should have been base car (V6/SS), track version(Z28), top of the line(ZL1) just like Corvette/Z06/ZR1 or 911/GT3/Turbo.
Actually with porsche the track GT vehicles cost more than the turbo, at least with the 997 models.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to put it into perspective for you guys Gm only plans to build between two to four thousand of these cars. It cost them a million dollars just to design and certify (DOT) the Rims. That ruffly translates to between 250-500 dollars of cost to Each car with out the actual cost of constructing the rim. Every time they make a change to the car it has to be tested and certified. You or the aftermarket doesn't have to do this. If American racing makes a rim they only have to design it and put not for road use. Car makers have to spread that cost out over the production run. With a limited car LIKE the z/28 that cost goes up because the cost has to be spread across several cars. The thing about it is when you talk about making a track car today it is a lot different then it was back in the 60s. The competition on the street courses are a lot tougher meaning a lot more technology. I think their would have been an equal amount of people who would have been upset if the car was cheap and didn't preform. Look at the cars that the z/28 was designed to go up against.

I remember someone telling us the cost of what Edelbrock paid to get their headers carb certified and ill tell you what it would knock your socks off.

the funny thing about this car is that even if you could afford it you wouldn't want it anyway. The car is going to ride so bad its not funny and your going to burn the tires up. Your probably going to worry about ripping the splitter off the car just about every damn place you go to un less you live some place dead flat. it really is a track car. I mean if you watch the video where jay leno tested it one of the designers said they designed different spoilers for different tacks and you could order a package to get them.

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28 Will Cost $75,000