General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Low mileage F-bodies

Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low mileage F-bodies

I was just wondering what others on the forum thought (generally) about low mileage examples of non ultra rare F-bodies. I ask this because my father currently has 3 F-bodies ranging from '93-'99, none of which are ultra rare examples, but two of which are pretty low mile examples.
First is a '93 Formula M6, which puts it in the relatively low number category (the number 769 total M6 formulas comes to mind, but I can't remember if that's correct).
Next is a '98 Camaro SS vert, white on white with grey interior A4 with only ~33,000 on the clock. The prior owner did some number running on it and apparently only about 130 were ordered with the setup this one has.
Finally, '99 T/A, black on black M6 with just over 4,000 on the clock.

My question is, what are the feelings on low mileage F-bodies? Overall, does the low number carry that much more value within the community? Is it almost overlooked because the car itself isn't that rare of an issue? I personally know what I would do with the SS, but the others are a bit of a head scratcher to me.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Low mileage is definitely a plus, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the car was well cared for, so an in-person inspection is still required to determine true value, IMO.

That '99 Trans Am with 4k miles - this is extremely low at this point and, depending on it's actual condition, could easily be collector worthy (though finding the right collector might take a while). It's not worth as much as a Firehawk or WS6 with comparable mileage, but it should certainly carry a premium over the average 5-digit mileage examples.

33k on the '98 SS is certainly low as compared to the average 16 year old car, but it's likely not low enough to bring top tier (or "#1 condition") pricing for a car of that age. I imagine this to be more of a "#2" car based on the mileage.

The production numbers (such as 1 of 130) may or may not mean anything in terms of value, depending on what exactly makes it rare. Sometimes more common cars are actually worth more, since some of the "rare" options are rare for a reason (meaning few people liked/wanted them, and many still might not).
Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

The rarity factor isn't as important as the condition to most car buyers unless they are solely 'collectors'. Low mileage, mostly 'stock' F-bodies will always bring a premium over any other example. As time passes these low mileage beauties get 'rare' in their own right and quite desirable. That '99 6 speed T/A with 4k miles will be highly sought after by many. Dealers would have that car priced at over $20,000.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Launching!

The 4k mile '99 T/A is as close to showroom condition as you're likely to find. It's not an overstatement to say that it only comes out when the sun is out, and even that is rare.
The 33k mile SS has a couple imperfections, but it's in about the same boat as the T/A. Both are in a prison called the garage.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Honestly to get a premium price for the cars you will need to find someone that personally values them at a higher price. Such as someone that has a personal connection to one of them as in it was their dream car. The low mileage is always a plus but doesn't really demand a higher price because most buyers will just pick up a higher mileage car for less cash.
As previously stated having a certain build sheet that nets the car a low build number group doesn't automatically make it more valuable, it might make it less valuable. People that will pay the big bucks will know what to look for as far as options go to ensure they are getting a fair purchase. Such as a 1LE Formula WS6 car. Which is fairly limited and to a person such as myself I would pay a larger than average amount for a car like that.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There seems to be more and more of them coming out lately. I see the a lot of the low miles cars, less than 1500, selling in the $20K range. I have seen some super low mile, 150-500, 2002 CETA Verts selling mid to high $20K range late last year.
Everybody gives me crap about driving my car but like yout T/A it only comes out on those "perfect" days. I have done some mods to mine but have not and dont plan on touching anything on the engine and everything I have done can easily be put back to 100% completely stock.
If you are looking for an investment then park the 4K mile car in a tomb and pull it back out in 20 years, it "might" sell than for more than its original retail.
If you want to just enjoy having a great low mile car like me, than drive it, keep it clean and take great care of the car. I dont care what my car will be worth in 10-20 years, thats not why I bought it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The '99 M6 Trans Am with 4k miles sounds nice, I don't think there would be an issue selling that car. However, with the Formula being a '93 and the SS being a '98 A4 and a vert, I'm not sure. They're nice rides but I'm not sure how much they would be sought after or how much money they would bring.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

To the right buyer I could see the TA with 4k miles bringing in 20k+ but that's with the right buyer. These cars really aren't 'collectors' items like classics are. I'm not sure if the 4th gens will ever be considered collectors' items. It's an intriguing thought however.

Regarding what others have said, sometimes low production numbers of a particular combination can be worth more, but typically they aren't. Like RPM said, there's sometimes a reason not many were ordered with those options - because they don't appeal to the large majority of F-body owners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low mileage F-bodies