General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

checkin Cats quick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checkin Cats quick?

Getting my ws6 ready for summer, tune up so far gone good, just need to check all eng sensors now and I was wondering if there was a way to check if your cat converters are clogged (or getting there) without taking the o2 sensors out?

took her out last night and it bogs when i have it 70% throttle or more

could still be sensors that i havent checked, but isnt there some vaccum way of exhaust restriction??

thanks
Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure? I'd do so not just at idle but at WOT when the power loss is occurring. This is a more likely cause based on your description IMO.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fuel pressure will drop at wot? I have a scanner to watch it while running. Looked like it was 44 psi at idle. It should stay consistant, correct?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by fbody4everyone
Fuel pressure will drop at wot? I have a scanner to watch it while running. Looked like it was 44 psi at idle. It should stay consistant, correct?
Looks like you have already found your problem then, it should be closer to 60psi. Also, it *should* remain consistent at WOT, but often times a weak pump will still show good numbers at idle but drop way off under load. If you're already at 44psi at idle, and you trust the gauge, then you needn't look further for your power loss issues.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Looks like you have already found your problem then, it should be closer to 60psi. Also, it *should* remain consistent at WOT, but often times a weak pump will still show good numbers at idle but drop way off under load. If you're already at 44psi at idle, and you trust the gauge, then you needn't look further for your power loss issues.

ooff... i guess ill start getting to that fuel pump.

i suppose i should check regulator before digging in? not sure if thatd cause this much of an issue
Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

ooff... i guess ill start getting to that fuel pump.

i suppose i should check regulator before digging in? not sure if thatd cause this much of an issue
The fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump module on these cars.

You might want to replace the fuel filter first, just to make sure that it isn't a clog causing the issue. Also, not sure what type of scanner you're using to watch fuel pressure, but it wouldn't hurt to verify it with a mechanical gauge before tearing into pump replacement - assuming that replacing the fuel filter doesn't fix it. Just a good double check, but based on your issues and that pressure reading, it looks like you have found the issue.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump module on these cars.

You might want to replace the fuel filter first, just to make sure that it isn't a clog causing the issue. Also, not sure what type of scanner you're using to watch fuel pressure, but it wouldn't hurt to verify it with a mechanical gauge before tearing into pump replacement - assuming that replacing the fuel filter doesn't fix it. Just a good double check, but based on your issues and that pressure reading, it looks like you have found the issue.
Thanks for info, pump ordered, and going to replace this coming weekend. One thing tho.... Will the regulator be part of new pump? Or is it a separate part. I'd hate to start it up after pump replacement and find out that is it. Just replaced filter yesterday and it bogs at higher throttle. I'm getting pressure but maybe not enough. I couldn't get the dang gauge to work
Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks for info, pump ordered, and going to replace this coming weekend. One thing tho.... Will the regulator be part of new pump? Or is it a separate part. I'd hate to start it up after pump replacement and find out that is it. Just replaced filter yesterday and it bogs at higher throttle. I'm getting pressure but maybe not enough. I couldn't get the dang gauge to work
If you ordered the complete fuel pump module/assembly, then it should include the regulator. If you ordered an aftermarket pump replacement only, then you'd have to reuse the rest of the assembly.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you ordered the complete fuel pump module/assembly, then it should include the regulator. If you ordered an aftermarket pump replacement only, then you'd have to reuse the rest of the assembly.
Oh, I understand now. I can see why it was pricey then. Thanks

Quick Reply: checkin Cats quick?