General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

So they totaled my M6 99 SS. Best course of action?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So they totaled my M6 99 SS. Best course of action?

So I took my car to the body shop to be fixed after being hit by a deer and was originally told the car would be fixed with about 2,000$ in damage. Well I just got a call from an adjuster saying the car has been declared a total loss. The car runs perfectly fine, but the hood was slightly crumpled and the front fascia and one fender has been removed by the body shop for potential repair. Engine/transmission/clutch all in great condition but there are 178,000 miles on the car. I am only the second owner who bought the car 10 years ago from the guy who bought it new for 32k off of a GM lot.

So my question is, should I part this car out and what would I be looking at for the Ls1/T56 if I did?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

where are you from ? rust prone area or not ? if the car is not rusty and worth saving OR if it may be worth your time parting it out I would see how much it will cost to buy it back from insurance company that is totaling it. Another factor is if you can get it back without the title being altered to state salvage or kept clean.

I did this with a car my daughter got rear ended in and quickly turned over a grand more than I would have gotten as a check for the ins. company totaling and keeping the car and this was only on a $2000 car at the time ended up with $3200 out of it going that way which was more than the car was worth.

your local market will depend what a 170k ls1 t 56 brings , if you can get the car to a point it can be driven aggressively for a gear or 2 I would think someone may pay around $2k for the combo less on a high miler that they cant drive but that is just me

between here and car-part.com you should be able to find matching color panels and bolt them on as well if nothing else is bent

EDIT ** If this is the heads cam s60 car in your sig your going to want to buy it back way too much invested there compared to what ins. will give you.

Last edited by murphinator; 03-29-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Part it out...
Old 03-29-2016, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by murphinator
where are you from ? rust prone area or not ? if the car is not rusty and worth saving OR if it may be worth your time parting it out I would see how much it will cost to buy it back from insurance company that is totaling it. Another factor is if you can get it back without the title being altered to state salvage or kept clean.

I did this with a car my daughter got rear ended in and quickly turned over a grand more than I would have gotten as a check for the ins. company totaling and keeping the car and this was only on a $2000 car at the time ended up with $3200 out of it going that way which was more than the car was worth.

your local market will depend what a 170k ls1 t 56 brings , if you can get the car to a point it can be driven aggressively for a gear or 2 I would think someone may pay around $2k for the combo less on a high miler that they cant drive but that is just me

between here and car-part.com you should be able to find matching color panels and bolt them on as well if nothing else is bent

EDIT ** If this is the heads cam s60 car in your sig your going to want to buy it back way too much invested there compared to what ins. will give you.
This is not the car in my sig. That is the 98 Z28 I bought when I was driving this SS as my daily driver. Basically I'm wondering what the market is for an LS1 and T56 power train that's part of a fully running car.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Its getting harder and harder to part out these cars nowadays, a lot of guys have moved on from 4th gens. Took me awhile to move mine even w/ a good price and desirable parts.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you might have to advertise but you should be able to sell some parts off it.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

location?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
location?
Greenville, SC. I'll try and get some pics up. The car has a hood but the front fascia and one fender has been removed by the body shop for repairs before they declared it totaled.

Car runs and shifts great and I've always religiously changed the oil with Mobil 5/30 synthetic. Power steering pump whines a bit but thats it. I'll probably list the car soon because theres got to be someone who at least wants that powertrain, maybe for their RX7.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Greenville, SC. I'll try and get some pics up. The car has a hood but the front fascia and one fender has been removed by the body shop for repairs before they declared it totaled.

Car runs and shifts great and I've always religiously changed the oil with Mobil 5/30 synthetic. Power steering pump whines a bit but thats it. I'll probably list the car soon because theres got to be someone who at least wants that powertrain, maybe for their RX7.

I buy 98-02 f-body's as I had a dozen in the last four years.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The price of the hood alone probably totaled it! lol...

Quick Reply: So they totaled my M6 99 SS. Best course of action?