General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is the usual YEARS/MILES to change PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the usual YEARS/MILES to change PCV?

Have a 1999 and has 168K miles and the original owner never changed it and I don't have any oil consumption which I heard was common due from the PCV. Should I change it? I also heard they changed the design. Is the part in the rubber hose?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Pcv refers to the entire system of positive crankcase ventillation. It probably consists of multiple hoses/tubes, and plastic fittings, and of course the pcv valve which is simply a check valve.

Since those things are cheap to replace it should be done and maintained well. If one of the tubes collapses or gets clogged it can damage an oil seal inside the engine permanently or cause a bunch of oil to get sucked into the intake manifold. If I was you I would learn which hose was my "fresh air inlet tube" and keep an eye on it regularly.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Lol silly boy

OP, unfortunately you can only replace the little valve on the rubber line for about $2. The rest of the system isnt serviceable, its just a few hoses. The problem is they get very brittle and rot apart. If this happens you have two options, configure a new setup with hoses and Y fittings yourself out of other materials, or two cap the valve cover vents and PCV valve and move to a newer system that vents from under the intake. This requires intake removal and the purchase of an "ls6 valley cover". It has a built in orifice making a PCV valve obsolete and cleans up the engine bay some. Search around you'll find lots of info on it.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This requires intake removal and the purchase of an "ls6 valley cover". It has a built in orifice making a PCV valve obsolete and cleans up the engine bay some. Search around you'll find lots of info on it.
Incorrect,

first, the LS6 valley cover does not have a check valve inside it, it has nothing to do with pcv valve action, and it doesn't make the pcv valve obsolete. That is a myth I am not sure where it started but I am crushing it because I have inspected and had this discussion already.

The second myth is that it cleans up the engine bay. All the LS6 cover does is ADD another port to the crankcase. That sounds like the opposite effect to me, more complicated engine bay.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

God damn youre stupid. Orifice is a metered device, NOT a check valve. And yes it does have one. Using an orifice means it does not require an actual check valve.

Also, eliminating two, foot+ long hoses in favor of one thats 4 inches cleans up the engine bay quite a bit. Now go sit in your corner for the rest of the day little boy.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

This pic is from a while back. Ive got covers and the corresponding PCV hoses sitting in my shop right now. Kingtalon has only seen them in his dreams.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever listen to or respond to KingHardon. Most annoying, dumbest guy on here - Hands FNG down.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

t has a built in orifice making a PCV valve obsolete and cleans up the engine bay some. Search around you'll find lots of info on it.
I think you need some help with terms. An Orifice is not a check valve. You seem to think it is. The LS6 cover does not have an check valve. It does not have an PCV valve. It is just a hole with a baffle. lrn2engineer

And now everybody can see your words and how stupid you look, time and time again trying to call me out when it is yourself who is blind.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever listen to or respond to KingHardon. Most annoying, dumbest guy on here - Hands FNG down.
If anybody searches up your posts they will see what kind of person you are and ignore you. nuff said.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Post 38 of I purchase and investigate the use of the famous LS-6 valley cover. I, like so many, had heard it was an "upgrade" of sorts, so I wanted to see what this was all about.

At first glance, it appeared to be a very well baffled check valve as everyone suggested.
However, upon testing, it turned out to be only a simple baffle with no check action.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19526698

Useless, another hole in the engine? No thanks. I went back to the original truck valley cover.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19567639
Old 11-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Post 38
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19526698

I purchase and investigate the use of the famous LS-6 valley cover. I, like so many, had heard it was an "upgrade" of sorts, so I wanted to see what this was all about.

At first glance, it appeared to be a very well baffled check valve as everyone suggested.
However, upon testing, it turned out to be only a simple baffle with no check action.

Useless, another hole in the engine? No thanks. I went back to the original truck valley cover.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19567639

I later had discussions with another member about this exact issue, and we determined the same thing. 2x.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's really no need to debate here. They're both effective means to vent a crank case.

The only place I'd see a real need for check valve with the LS6 setup is on the fresh air inlet so nothing gets pushed up to the throttle body.

As far as servicing an aging and brittle PCV system, replacing the hoses is advisable if they are dry rotted and cracking.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I think you need some help with terms. An Orifice is not a check valve. You seem to think it is. The LS6 cover does not have an check valve. It does not have an PCV valve. It is just a hole with a baffle. lrn2engineer

And now everybody can see your words and how stupid you look, time and time again trying to call me out when it is yourself who is blind.
Dude wtf do you smoke everyday. I made it clear, the original system had a checkvalve. The very FIRST version of the LS6 was just baffled (hasnt been on the market in forever). The Second/revision of the LS6 valley had an orifice/restrictor and NO checkvalve. Check valves havent been used since 2002 dummy. And i clearly stated that. Its an old school design and has been proven obsolete. The pic I posted above is the second version of the valley cover, no check valve, just a restriction.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BudRacing
As far as servicing an aging and brittle PCV system, replacing the hoses is advisable if they are dry rotted and cracking.
Right, but they arent available new anymore. So you must make them or repair them yourself.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Right, but they arent available new anymore. So you must make them or repair them yourself.
I don't think this is the case. Part #12560692 ('98) and 12590632 ('99-'02) still seem to be valid and available from GM, though expensive.

I wonder if Dorman also has an aftermarket version? I know they do for some makes/models, but I haven't researched this one specifically.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

RPM you may be right, available but retarded expensive.

Quick Reply: What is the usual YEARS/MILES to change PCV?