General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine Hoist To Stand, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Hoist To Stand, WTF?

So apparently I just have bad luck with each step with pulling this motor. Scratching my head on how to finish getting the motor attached to the stand. I thought I as crazy, so I looked online, and it seems like everyone else has an engine stand with a skinnier center leg. Any suggesting before I have to start disassembling it?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Can you extend the lift arm to give yourself more room? How heavy is the motor? Be careful to not extend the lift arm beyond the weight capacity for the engine you are lifting . . . arm could fail thus dropping the engine on you.

An engine leveler mounted to the top of the motor helps a lot here getting it attached to the stand.

Rick
Old 12-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Extend the lift arm out to the next lock position to gain some room, pull the pin on the stand lower t section and rotate it up out of the way. Your stand now can sit on three wheels. Mount block to stand, lower stand to carry partial weight of the engine to stabilize it but let the hoist continue to do most of the work. Run two straps from top of engine or the stand to a solid fixed surface in your garage in case the engine wants to sit forward as you lower the lift the rest of the way . Once you can back the lift away lower the stand base and replace the lock pin.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to extend the arm as much as you can and still drop the motor on two wheels and lower it onto the other two. There are no more good 3 wheel stands which would be way easier.

I have two of those engine stands. I had to drill a new pin hole for when it was folded down to keep the center caster from coming into play and making the motor wobble.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We just pulled one you need a really long arm however mine needed weight on the very back so we added a peg to put a 45 pound plate on it.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just narrowed the stand to about 6 inches. PITA...
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to try a couple of these. The arm is already extended to the max.

I ended up removing the front cross section and setting the front down on some 2x4's. Once the hoist was out of the way, reattached the from section. I never seem to but the combo of items that just work together. Haha
Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

attach adapter from stand to motor by its self, then spin the motor 90 degrees pick up the engine stand and slip it onto the adapter and set the whole thing on the floor. It should not be that hard. The stand and the engine hoist arm should be perpendicular to each other when you set it on the ground.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
attach adapter from stand to motor by its self, then spin the motor 90 degrees pick up the engine stand and slip it onto the adapter and set the whole thing on the floor. It should not be that hard. The stand and the engine hoist arm should be perpendicular to each other when you set it on the ground.
I don't think the boom arm is long enough, but I'll definitely give that a try next time! Thank you!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

LOL. Yep. Been there and it is annoying.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

flip that leg on the stand up and get someone to stand on the back of the engine stand. then once you get it off the hoist, lower the leg back down and lock it.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
flip that leg on the stand up and get someone to stand on the back of the engine stand. then once you get it off the hoist, lower the leg back down and lock it.
I tried that but it would just tip forward too much to lock the front leg down once the weight was on it. :/

Quick Reply: Engine Hoist To Stand, WTF?