General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sway bar repair on my 02 trans am .suggestions and answers needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar repair on my 02 trans am .suggestions and answers needed

So I am learning to drive manual and I recently purchased a Pontiac Firebird trans am And Is has a quite a bit of mods on it and has a lot Of horsepower around 560HP to the wheels I was driving on the street around my house and accidentally went to fast over a dip And broke the rear end sway bar bolt I went to a mechanic and he told me he would Weld it to be stronger and wants to charge me 225 I don't know if that is a fair price and if welding it is a good idea or should i just get the bolt replaced . All answers would be Appreciated thank you I am in southern California
Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Any pics?
The following 2 users liked this post by rising_4rm_ashes:
Samuel Torres (08-30-2019), Tyler Dietzenbach (08-30-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Samuel Torres
So I am learning to drive manual and I recently purchased a Pontiac Firebird trans am And Is has a quite a bit of mods on it and has a lot Of horsepower around 560HP to the wheels I was driving on the street around my house and accidentally went to fast over a dip And broke the rear end sway bar bolt I went to a mechanic and he told me he would Weld it to be stronger and wants to charge me 225 I don't know if that is a fair price and if welding it is a good idea or should i just get the bolt replaced . All answers would be Appreciated thank you I am in southern California
Find another mechanic. A true mechanic would extract that bolt and replace it with another and it should be under $100 to do. You must stay up north?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock or aftermarket sways? You can usually just buy the endlinks for $20-30.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/sway-bars/

Last edited by sokr915; 09-11-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

so the guy you bought it from spent $$$$$ on the engine but not a dime on the suspension ????
Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Even heavy duty sway bar link pins are about $20 or less. There are 2. If the old ones are hard to get off just cut them off with a Sawzall or angle grinder. Two 14mm wrenches, tighten until the bushings slightly deform/squish and you are done. I just replaced mine and didn't take more than 1/2 hour. The mechanic is charging you for at least 2 hours of shop time and a hell of a mark up on parts.

Welding is not a good idea. What do you do the next time you want to replace the links? Cut the whole sway bar off?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
Find another mechanic. A true mechanic would extract that bolt and replace it with another and it should be under $100 to do. You must stay up north?
I did find another mechanic charged me only 25 . Thanks for the reply
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
so the guy you bought it from spent $$$$$ on the engine but not a dime on the suspension ????
Well actually it has a full racing bmr suspension . Only that im learning to drive manual on this beast . And blasted off on a stop sign and hit a dip real hard and broke the bolt on the end link . Easy fix only 25 bucks .
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghardester
Even heavy duty sway bar link pins are about $20 or less. There are 2. If the old ones are hard to get off just cut them off with a Sawzall or angle grinder. Two 14mm wrenches, tighten until the bushings slightly deform/squish and you are done. I just replaced mine and didn't take more than 1/2 hour. The mechanic is charging you for at least 2 hours of shop time and a hell of a mark up on parts.

Welding is not a good idea. What do you do the next time you want to replace the links? Cut the whole sway bar off?
Yea actually got the bolt replaced for 25 bucks . Would of done it my self just don't have 2 really low jacks . Car is lowered . That's what I thought my self when he said he'd weld it. Thought it was a little bit bs . So asked around other mechanics told me that dude Is crazy don't do that . Car is running perfect no problems
Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

You may have bigger issues if you break an end link on a simple street launch. Possibly due to poor geometry associated with lowering it? You should try and find a root cause here, or I expect you'll have to replace it again. Pics would help, but you should be looking at how the rear end and sway bar sits when on the ground to see if there's a weird angle on that link, or maybe a bad LCA/PHB bushing allowing too much travel.

Quick Reply: Sway bar repair on my 02 trans am .suggestions and answers needed