General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hemi vs LS: Which is stronger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi vs LS: Which is stronger?

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum here. I was searching the internet for an answer to a particular question of mine but could not find one for my specific scenario. I'm looking at the LS and Hemi architectures and trying to figure out which can hold the most power? I'm not trying to start a brand loyalty war here, nor am I looking for which is the best overall engine option for me. I want to leave aside aftermarket support, budget limitations, tunability, etc. I'm simply curious as to which is "built beefier", so to speak. I know that LS and Hemi are especially neck-to-neck in power output, but which is, especially concerning the block, stronger and capable of taking more stress? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont really know anything about the hemi motors other than I've beat up on alot of them over the year and dont really know anything about the blocks max power capibilitys but I've seen gen 4 5.3 motors holding 1400hp regularly there is a video of the ls going up against the cyo both teams ran them till they blew I don't remember the exact numbers but the ls made considerably more power
Old 10-09-2020, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

"Stronger" is probably more of a function of who has the better tuner, tuning software, intercooler s, water/meth injection system etc when making a determination about stock metal parts and 1,000+ whp. To 1,500 whp forced induction Hemi vs LS engines.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

I'd bet you can build the ls for cheaper. Hemi parts look more expensive , rotating assy/cam kits/heads.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjduvall
I'd bet you can build the ls for cheaper. Hemi parts look more expensive , rotating assy/cam kits/heads.
Plus the intitial buy-in is more expensive. Even the older 5.7 Hemi pullouts still go for a few grand.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even low mileage stock Hemi's (2009+) are having issues with cams and lifters failing, with no real fix, so they essentially don't even hold the stock power. Really no comparison if you're looking for anything reliable. Just go to youtube and search Hemi cam and lifter failure and watch for hours. Nothing compares to the LS/LT platforms if you want reliable power in a car you can actually drive routinely. I'm admittedly slightly more than a novice when it comes to engines but even I know that.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
Even low mileage stock Hemi's (2009+) are having issues with cams and lifters failing, with no real fix, so they essentially don't even hold the stock power. Really no comparison if you're looking for anything reliable. Just go to youtube and search Hemi cam and lifter failure and watch for hours. Nothing compares to the LS/LT platforms if you want reliable power in a car you can actually drive routinely. I'm admittedly slightly more than a novice when it comes to engines but even I know that.
Yes, let's include dropped valves in that Hemi laundry list.

But the LS/LT platform also got seriously screwed up with lifter and cam failures after the motors went to the AFM/DOD architecture. This is a serious issue with the L76 in the G8 GT, for example. But the LS1-3 didn't have that nonsense, and are paradigms of reliability, along with the 5.3 and 6.0 variants from that earlier era.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

One thing I know for sure since I own both. They are wonderful engines. I've owned my LS1 for almost 20 years now. No mechanical issues. The power has always been there. While I am new to the Hemi world, Hemi owners are getting 200k+ miles in many instances with no engine work either. I would not have bought one otherwise. Of course, as previously stated, so much depends on the quality of work and who does it when adding more power. That is the key.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yes, let's include dropped valves in that Hemi laundry list.

But the LS/LT platform also got seriously screwed up with lifter and cam failures after the motors went to the AFM/DOD architecture. This is a serious issue with the L76 in the G8 GT, for example. But the LS1-3 didn't have that nonsense, and are paradigms of reliability, along with the 5.3 and 6.0 variants from that earlier era.
Good points!
Old 01-17-2021, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NC01TA
One thing I know for sure since I own both. They are wonderful engines. I've owned my LS1 for almost 20 years now. No mechanical issues. The power has always been there. While I am new to the Hemi world, Hemi owners are getting 200k+ miles in many instances with no engine work either. I would not have bought one otherwise. Of course, as previously stated, so much depends on the quality of work and who does it when adding more power. That is the key.
I've had my LS for almost 20 years as well with no issues, 160K and the valve covers have never even been off. No leaks and until last year never even burned a drop of oil.Burns a tiny bit now which has me a little concerned and thinking about refreshing the top end.

I was gonna get a challenger R/T last year but just couldn't get past the cam and lifter thing. Kept going back and forth and almost got one anyway but decided to lease an Accord 2.0 sport which I'm happy with but sometimes still wish I would have got the Hemi anyway.That 2.0 is surprisingly quick and fun to drive for FWD, is way underrated in power, and responds incredibly well to tuning but it's just not a V8 and no LSD option sucks.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Hemi owners are getting 200k+ miles in many instances with no engine work either. I would not have bought one otherwise.
You say that like 200k is some huge milestone. Maybe for something made in the 70’s, but not a modern engine. A modern engine should have no trouble doing double that. 200k is still showing cross hatching on the cylinder walls of an LS. While I don’t know much about Hemis, I do know that if they’re not also regularly hitting half a million miles before needing a refresh, then they’re not in the same league as the LS.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
I've had my LS for almost 20 years as well with no issues, 160K and the valve covers have never even been off. No leaks and until last year never even burned a drop of oil.Burns a tiny bit now which has me a little concerned and thinking about refreshing the top end.

I was gonna get a challenger R/T last year but just couldn't get past the cam and lifter thing. Kept going back and forth and almost got one anyway but decided to lease an Accord 2.0 sport which I'm happy with but sometimes still wish I would have got the Hemi anyway.That 2.0 is surprisingly quick and fun to drive for FWD, is way underrated in power, and responds incredibly well to tuning but it's just not a V8 and no LSD option sucks.
Nothing wrong with a quick and responsive Honda but I also agree about having a V8. It's never too late to get one if you change your mind. Challengers aren't going anywhere, or Chargers if you prefer that model.
Sometimes the internet is not a good thing. Problems can be magnified ten fold when the issues are in reality not as bad as they seem. Owners are not posting in glaring headlines that they have reached 50k or 75k miles with no problems. It's the problems that are written about on each and every car forum. I've belonged to many over the past 15 years or so. Corvettes, Porsches, BMW, every make and model is doom and gloom if you think every thread is about every car. Thousands and thousands of Hemi owners are out there with no engine issues. I know 3 owners personally which also factored into my decision. They have not written about their positive experiences on the internet. They also don't beat on their cars. I don't either. I've certainly enjoyed the launch control and 0-60 times already in my R/T but I'm not WOT too often. I'm also on the old school schedule of changing the oil every 3,000 miles. Perhaps unnecessary but it's peace of mind for me. I grew up with 2,000 miles oil changes and gradually expanded it to 3,000 miles or one year if that came up first. I know the engine problem is very real for some, and it does exist, so I bought the extended warranty 'just in case'. It's worth it just for the electronics anyway. NAV screens etc.. can be horribly expensive to fix without the warranty. I would buy one on any new car. I never used to but times and the cost of things sure have changed. I'm at that age where my 1st house cost less than my R/T.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

6 LS engines here and 3 Hemi engines. All ran flawless and strong. I wouldn't be afraid to own either but to mod I'd rather an LS just for sake of knowing what I'm getting into.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Nothing wrong with a quick and responsive Honda but I also agree about having a V8. It's never too late to get one if you change your mind. Challengers aren't going anywhere, or Chargers if you prefer that model.
Sometimes the internet is not a good thing. Problems can be magnified ten fold when the issues are in reality not as bad as they seem. Owners are not posting in glaring headlines that they have reached 50k or 75k miles with no problems. It's the problems that are written about on each and every car forum. I've belonged to many over the past 15 years or so. Corvettes, Porsches, BMW, every make and model is doom and gloom if you think every thread is about every car. Thousands and thousands of Hemi owners are out there with no engine issues. I know 3 owners personally which also factored into my decision. They have not written about their positive experiences on the internet. They also don't beat on their cars. I don't either. I've certainly enjoyed the launch control and 0-60 times already in my R/T but I'm not WOT too often. I'm also on the old school schedule of changing the oil every 3,000 miles. Perhaps unnecessary but it's peace of mind for me. I grew up with 2,000 miles oil changes and gradually expanded it to 3,000 miles or one year if that came up first. I know the engine problem is very real for some, and it does exist, so I bought the extended warranty 'just in case'. It's worth it just for the electronics anyway. NAV screens etc.. can be horribly expensive to fix without the warranty. I would buy one on any new car. I never used to but times and the cost of things sure have changed. I'm at that age where my 1st house cost less than my R/T.
You're 100% right on most people only writing on the forums about their issues for the most part and it can be misleading in many instances but the lifter and cam issue is real. Part of my decision was also related to my, and many of my friends, experiences with the Dodge service shops around here. If I were to have a warranty issue I just wouldn't trust them working on my cars or just fixing it without some kind of fight. A girl I work with had her Challenger R/T develop the lifter issue under warranty and it's finally taken care of but it was a nightmare for her getting it fixed to keep it short. Defintely not something I want to go through.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got and had both. The hemi is a fine engine, it's the rest of the vehicle that lets it down.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I know nothing about Hemi's except the Hellcats but with a Budget in mind you cant beat the LS Platform. If I didnt want something new I would have taken my Heads Cam C5 further but the age was starting to show.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacrilege
You say that like 200k is some huge milestone. Maybe for something made in the 70’s, but not a modern engine. A modern engine should have no trouble doing double that. 200k is still showing cross hatching on the cylinder walls of an LS. While I don’t know much about Hemis, I do know that if they’re not also regularly hitting half a million miles before needing a refresh, then they’re not in the same league as the LS.
Half a million miles, you're full of ****. The more post of yours I read the more I'm certain of that..

Last edited by RevGTO; 01-25-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In stock form the HEMI wont handle power like most stock LS based platforms. Stock HEMI pistons aren't the best for making big power.
That said, if keeping it N/A, the HEMI (especially the 6.1 and 6.4 flavors) make awesome power and the 6.4 heads are probably the best OEM head out there.
Once the bottom end is built, its a plenty stout engine.
If it can push a 5000# brick into the 8s, well, yeah...

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike@Diablosport:
FrankU (01-26-2021), JoshHefnerX (02-01-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both imo are good but i prefer ls. im biased towards what i know more.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
In stock form the HEMI wont handle power like most stock LS based platforms. Stock HEMI pistons aren't the best for making big power.
That said, if keeping it N/A, the HEMI (especially the 6.1 and 6.4 flavors) make awesome power and the 6.4 heads are probably the best OEM head out there.
Once the bottom end is built, its a plenty stout engine.
If it can push a 5000# brick into the 8s, well, yeah...

https://youtu.be/L-CaZeIUhWI
Good post.

Quick Reply: Hemi vs LS: Which is stronger?