General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I have a question about a 1999 Pontiac Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question about a 1999 Pontiac Firebird

Can someone please tell me what the average cost of liability insurance is for a 1999 Pontiac Firebird? I’m 29 years old, I’ve been licensed since I was 18, and I have a clean driving record. Esurance is charging me $208 a month. Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2021, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Clean record? Over 25? Liability only?..... and they want $208/month?!?! Good lord...is this for a million dollars of liability coverage? LOL. I would expect that premium to be a 6 month amount, not ONE month.

You mentioned "Firebird", but do you mean a Formula (meaning V8)? Or is this just a V6 car? Either way, no matter which engine it has, that rate is exponentially higher than what I would expect based on the specifics you've mentioned. My ('98) Z28 is on a collector policy so it's not really comparable, but I had my other ('02) Z28 on a "normal" insurance policy until 2014 when I sold it. I was only paying about $550-600/year at that time, and that was for full coverage. I was still in my 30s then.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Clean record? Over 25? Liability only?..... and they want $208/month?!?! Good lord...is this for a million dollars of liability coverage? LOL. I would expect that premium to be a 6 month amount, not ONE month.

You mentioned "Firebird", but do you mean a Formula (meaning V8)? Or is this just a V6 car? Either way, no matter which engine it has, that rate is exponentially higher than what I would expect based on the specifics you've mentioned. My ('98) Z28 is on a collector policy so it's not really comparable, but I had my other ('02) Z28 on a "normal" insurance policy until 2014 when I sold it. I was only paying about $550-600/year at that time, and that was for full coverage. I was still in my 30s then.
Agreed! Get a CHEAP 2nd car! To carry a collector car policy, you just need 1 more car than drivers in your household. I pay $500 per year, with $16K agreed upon value full coverage policy with Hagerty on my '98 Z28. Back when I was in my late 20's, I went through a couple of $250-$400 cars as my daily drivers so I could afford the insurance on my Z28. It wasn't always glamorous to dive an '86 Olds Cutlas Ciera when I had a new Z28 sitting at the house, but sometimes you do what you gotta do to afford insurance!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I know this makes an interesting discussion but there is no way you can compare insurance cost between individuals in an online forum. There are just too many factors involved including where you live, your driving history, the type of car, how much you drive, your gender and marital status, and your credit rating (this is a big one) among other things.

Your best bet is to get quotes from several insurance providers. That will tell you if the one you got is out of line. Some insurance companies will quote high premiums just because they don't really want you as a customer. I had State Farm quote me a price that was more than 50% higher than any of the other major insurers for no apparent reason, so shopping around is always worthwhile.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I know this makes an interesting discussion but there is no way you can compare insurance cost between individuals in an online forum. There are just too many factors involved including where you live, your driving history, the type of car, how much you drive, your gender and marital status, and your credit rating (this is a big one) among other things.
Things like gender and marital status don't really seem to have a huge impact once you're beyond that 25 year mark, and the OP has mentioned a clean record and the specific type of car in question. So I guess the only variables here are the amount of liability coverage, location and, probably the most variable aspect as you mentioned above, credit score.

I do wonder if the OP has tried another company yet. If their quote is not vastly better then perhaps one of those remaining variables is to blame. Otherwise, the difference really shouldn't be exponential from one similar individual to the next based on what's been disclosed so far. I definitely agree about trying a different company.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I pay $76/mo for full coverage on my fbody. I am married and own a home, 800ish FICO. Atlanta area has notoriously high insurance rates too.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was shopping rates, Esurance (and Allstate, who I think run Esurance) actually refused to cover my Z28. They said they don't offer coverage on those cars due to them being high risk. The best rate I found was through Geico. $130/mo for full coverage on a '19 Civic Si and an '02 Z28 convertible. 30 year old single male, clean record.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Don't waste your time with "The General" and I'll never go back to Geico again. When insurance companies raise the rates on you when you haven't had any tickets or accidents it's time to start shopping around. Make the insurance companies compete to earn your business. I've found Progressive to be the cheapest so far and have been with them for several years now.

Quick Reply: I have a question about a 1999 Pontiac Firebird