General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New F-body owners, how much on mods / restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New F-body owners, how much on mods / restoration?

Curious if I am the only crazy one here? Between parts(Suspension- Koni shocks, sprano springs, lower control arms, upper front A arms with ball joints, adjustable panhard bar, interior, water pump, new hoses, eternal power steering cooler, rear end parts, fluid changes, pulleys, egr,) and the labor on my steering rack, and differential rebuild with axles I am at about 6k parts and labor. I did most of the work myself except the rack and differential. I am sure there are a few more things I left out.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I bought mine new and my mod total is under $10. I splurged and bought an LS1 oil filler cap.
I'm one of those 'stock' guys. Still doing my best to preserve my original 16" chrome wheels too.
The following users liked this post:
JORGE (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

A long time ago keeping these cars stock would get people laughed at. But as time goes on, it's getting more and more popular to leave them as is. It's becoming more desirable to find a nice stock/semi stock TA or Camaro rather then a modded out car with every bolt on performance part. People even look for stock parts and try to revert back.
NC01TA (07-11-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

For some it's an addiction. Bought my one owner 55k mile 99 SS, with some good SLP options, for about $10k. The build cost, excluding the car, was about $38k. Suspension, engine, transmission, driveshaft, rear...etc
Looking back I would have saved my money. After building this car I bought another car that is about perfect. Oh well it's still a very fun car.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 201 Likes on 157 Posts

No, you're not crazy. Let's say you get tired of the car, the resale of a stocker is almost certainly easier. There is the supportability issue with modded cars, at a certain level, that would be off putting to a lot of non-enthusiasts. Springs are reversible, as are after market controls arms. Stock ride height is hard to stomach, so that might be ok thing to not reverse, as long as the drop isn't substantial.

Most of what you listed isn't ridiculous at all, much of it being general maintenance and would be near indisputably desirable - if you wanted to sell it and list those things.

When you get in to engine internals, engine swaps, forced induction, emissions deletes including long tubes, substantial paint, interior mods, brakes and wheels, the car will appeal to fewer and fewer people. I think @TheBlueKnight might be alluding to the collectibility of the 4th gen's. Assuming general collectibility is true, and I'm not entirely sold on the that idea, then a stock car would be more desirable.
JORGE (07-12-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by JORGE
Curious if I am the only crazy one here? Between parts(Suspension- Koni shocks, sprano springs, lower control arms, upper front A arms with ball joints, adjustable panhard bar, interior, water pump, new hoses, eternal power steering cooler, rear end parts, fluid changes, pulleys, egr,) and the labor on my steering rack, and differential rebuild with axles I am at about 6k parts and labor. I did most of the work myself except the rack and differential. I am sure there are a few more things I left out.
Now that you got the basics out of the way you can start doing some modifications.
JORGE (07-12-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 11:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

You have to distinguish between mods, upgrades, maintenance, and repairs.

As we all know, fluid changes are maintenance, ball joints would be a repair, Koni shocks would be upgrade/repair/maintenance (stockers are shot by 60k or so, so it's a maintenance item, but Koni's are a significant upgrade). Strano springs and an adjustable panhard bar would be modification/upgrade. Maintenance and repairs are mandatory; mods and upgrades are optional.

I bought my car for $15k in 2003. Within 5 years, I spent another $5k in mods and upgrades. Since then, it's been mostly maintenance and repairs, some of them expensive (two water pumps, fuel pump, rear main seal, rocker arms, motor mounts, suspension pieces, etc. etc.).

I've definitely spent more on these than on the mods and upgrades of the early years. Back then I did most of the work myself with a friend. In recent years, I've paid for labor on most of the heavy repairs. This is in 18 years of ownership and 155k of the car's 188k miles.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO

As we all know, fluid changes are maintenance, ball joints would be a repair, Koni shocks would be upgrade/repair/maintenance (stockers are shot by 60k or so, so it's a maintenance item, but Koni's are a significant upgrade). Strano springs and an adjustable panhard bar would be modification/upgrade. Maintenance and repairs are mandatory; mods and upgrades are optional.

I bought my car for $15k in 2003. Within 5 years, I spent another $5k in mods and upgrades. Since then, it's been mostly maintenance and repairs, some of them expensive (two water pumps, fuel pump, rear main seal, rocker arms, motor mounts, suspension pieces, etc. etc.).

I've definitely spent more on these than on the mods and upgrades of the early years. Back then I did most of the work myself with a friend. In recent years, I've paid for labor on most of the heavy repairs. This is in 18 years of ownership and 155k of the car's 188k miles.
You're right. My car is what I would consider relatively low mileage when I bought it (55k) and it needed the shocks and springs replaced. They were shot just from age. The car handled ok but that was more that I would drive it after my truck so there's that. lol
I could have gone stock replacement but for a bit more decided on a better than stock (yellow adjustable Koni's) and the normal stiffening and tightening up of the car. It needed replacing per age/wear but I did upgrade to far better than stock. And it works. The car drives so much tighter and feels.more connected than before.

Wish I could drive it more.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO

After coming from a 2019 SS 1LE driving this SS seemed like a truck. It had been at least 20 years since I had driven one. That is why after doing research on here I decided to go with the suspension pieces I chose. I really wasn't looking to buy this car I was actually looking for a C4 ZR-1. I saw this car in a local ad, what caught my attention was one owner, 6-speed, and the 6k price tag! Also 1 of 86 only with color and options. When I saw it the paint looked good not perfect. The top was pretty new, the interior definitely needed attention seats and carpet. Rear end was whining and steering rack bushings were shot. But the car shifted smooth and no smoke whatsoever from the engine. I have always loved these cars. The price was right 6k. I took the chance. It is a weekend toy so to be honest I haven't really driven it a lot. Always seem to be doing something new to it but I am almost finished I just had the seats and carpet done it came out beautiful. Raining here today but will put up a picture as soon as I can. My neighbors are very excited about this car and when they see me out there working on it they always come to check on the progress. Here is a video I took before getting the interior done. Will be doing another with new interior.
Here is the video with new interior:

Last edited by JORGE; 07-12-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remember that car on CL. It looked nice in the pictures.
JORGE (07-12-2021)

Quick Reply: New F-body owners, how much on mods / restoration?