General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am

Just got my 98 t/a back. Hci heads cam intake injectors etc. Stage 2 performa built tranny. 3200 pt stall. I have a rly bad jerking at like 40mph and under I'll be coasting in town let's say and the car start jerking super bad and clunking almost like a miss fire. No codes no nothing but feels like irs coming from the rear end drive shaft area. Everything's seems tight
Old 08-13-2021, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

What is the rear end gear ratio ?
Old 08-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
What is the rear end gear ratio ?
3.23s
Old 08-13-2021, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

The reason I asked about rear end ratio because of potential 2.73s' At about 40mph is where the torque converter direct drive clutch engages/disengages. 3.23s' in 4th gear at 40mph with the torque converter lockup clutch engaged would put you at about 1200rpm. You mentioned cam, don't know how 'wild' the specs are. At that low an rpm with a 'cam', torque/hp is very low and the engine is 'struggling' which would show as bad jerking. Lockup clutch engaging/disengaging/engaging and so on. Do a test, braking/brake light circuit disengages lock up clutch, when the 'problem' is occurring, slightly step on brake and hold it there, not enough to start braking but enough to disengage the clutch circuit. If bad jerking goes away, the 'wild' cam at low rpm is causing it. Post back as far as what happens.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Teching In

The reason I asked about rear end ratio because of potential 2.73s' At about 40mph is where the torque converter direct drive clutch engages/disengages. 3.23s' in 4th gear at 40mph with the torque converter lockup clutch engaged would put you at about 1200rpm. You mentioned cam, don't know how 'wild' the specs are. At that low an rpm with a 'cam', torque/hp is very low and the engine is 'struggling' which would show as bad jerking. Lockup clutch engaging/disengaging/engaging and so on. Do a test, braking/brake light circuit disengages lock up clutch, when the 'problem' is occurring, slightly step on brake and hold it there, not enough to start braking but enough to disengage the clutch circuit. If bad jerking goes away, the 'wild' cam at low rpm is causing it. Post back as far as what happens.
little more insight my bad. Pre big cam ngl almost specs a s a ms4 its a ls pro summit cam stage 3. 232/242 113lsa +3 i wanna say.. car runs amazing besides this now.. if I'm on the gas even a little its gone but coasting and braking it goes away but more gas then brake.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nywhitetransam
little more insight my bad. Pre big cam ngl almost specs a s a ms4 its a ls pro summit cam stage 3. 232/242 113lsa +3 i wanna say.. car runs amazing besides this now.. if I'm on the gas even a little its gone but coasting and braking it goes away but more gas then brake.
and is what ur saying cam surge? Can that be taken care of?
Old 08-13-2021, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

but coasting and braking it goes away
What goes away ? what is 'it' ?

Old 08-13-2021, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

and is what ur saying cam surge? Can that be taken care of?
Cam surge/lope occurs on 'wild' cams. Too low an rpm for smooth efficient operation. Does it surge/lope in neutral at idle ?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Cam surge/lope occurs on 'wild' cams. Too low an rpm for smooth efficient operation. Does it surge/lope in neutral at idle ?
I get a lope at idle yea. Nothing crazy but a normal good cam lope. No surging. Legit only happens 40mph and under cruising.u can kinda feel it letting off at 60 mph just coasting it happens its rly wierd.

Quick Reply: 98 trans am