General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fix my 02 trans am Firehawk or buy a corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fix my 02 trans am Firehawk or buy a corvette

I have an 02 Firehawk that ive modded with an hawks 8.8 rear end. With 3.73 gears. Atomic airforce intake, 228/232 cam, ls7 lfters, arp pushrods, studs, head bolts, prc stage 2.5 ls6 heads milled to 59cc. Hooker long tubes and hooker true dual exhaust with Cat delete. Hawks short throw with new billet flywheel/clutch. Many other add ons. Its been my baby. I drove it regularly but not to work most days. Maybe 5000 miles a year for the last 4-5 years.
the hawk has 450HP to the wheels and 410 torque.
well i wrecked it. Badly. Got cut off on the interstate and destroyed the front end. Need a new front clip. 😫 fender and side skirts. Well. I was about to fix it. Raised the money needed but now i ran into a stock 2005 C6 corvette with 35,000 original miles. Great condition z51 and preffered package. Im torn. I really don't have the money to mod the vette. But it is a pretty car.
what does every one think. Fix the firebird? Buy the vette and hope i get the money to mod later. (I still have the hawk and know some things like the intake will transfer over. Not sure about the 59cc heads yet, i think it would raise the compression of the ls2 to much but havent researched it yet)
so fix or buy?
Old 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

First off, sorry for your mishap and glad you're ok.

I'm not a 'vette fan since riding in one in '90 or '91, after 15 miles on "good quality" Alabama secondary roads my kidneys and back were screaming. It was like riding on a skateboard. I'm sure by '05 the ride improved but unless that car is a dream car I'd keep the Hawk and fix it up. You know the Hawk and all its issues and what it needs, the 'vette is a gamble and who knows what is lurking around once you start fixing this or that. If you've always wanted one, listen your heart but consider if there is a possibility of buyer's remorse if you find any warts.
The following 3 users liked this post by jybravo70:
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022), Kingc8r (09-15-2022), Nathan C (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 04:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by jybravo70
You know the Hawk and all its issues and what it needs, the 'vette is a gamble and who knows what is lurking around once you start fixing this or that. If you've always wanted one, listen your heart but consider if there is a possibility of buyer's remorse if you find any warts.
I would agree with the above if nothing was actually wrong with the Firehawk and you were just infatuated with the C6, but the Hawk was involved in a significant accident and sounds like it needs considerable body work. You're going to be taking a gamble either way, meaning the Firehawk might have other issues once you get it back on the road, and/or the body work might not come out to your liking (especially if you are very picky about these things). With the C6 you can see exactly what you're buying, with the Firehawk you'll be financially committed to the cost of repairs even if the car is not as perfect as it used to be.

So I guess it's best to make the choice based on which car excites you more, rather than expecting either one to be free of disappointment.
The following users liked this post:
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

Any pictures of the damage?
My opinion is similar to the others, if the Hawk is fixable then without a doubt it would be getting fixed. Now if you were looking at a C6 Z06 that might be a little different, But a stock Z51 is kinda lame honestly. Especially compare to a 02 firehawk.....

How many miles are on the firehawk?
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

C6-rear-differential-2005-to-2006-changes

Skip all the 2005 C6's or budget for a new rear end if you drive hard. The 2005 C6 differential case is weak etc and 2006-2013 use different case etc. 2005 Corvette weak-differential

Fixing Wrecked FireHawk vs Buying Used C6 Corvette

Definitely need pictures of wrecked car first.

Having actually went through having a totalled Camaro fixed after an accident and spending funds out of pocket to do so, ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you LOVE the FireHawk?

2. Do you have a trustworthy body shop available to do the work that's willing to do the project?

3. Are you willing to accept possible derision & ridicule from non car loving family and friends for being a moron for spending more on a car than it's actually worth?

4. Are you financially secure so that fixing the car won't cause hardship for you or family?

5. Do you feel deep or deeper upset at the ideal of not fixing the FireHawk or have deep sentimental attachments to the car?

6. Do you really perfer the old car to a newer replacement?

If you can say YES, to all questions fix it, otherwise move on to a sweet C6.

When my 91RS was totaled in 2001, I said YES to all six and fixed the car out of pocket, that was the correct decision for me. The car required a front clip, and full repaint. Everything worked out perfectly fine, the car drove exactly as before accident and I was delighted. The endless negative comments from family and friends just deepened my resolve and enjoyment of fixed the car. In 2015-6 the car was restored & resto-mod'd.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 09-15-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Default Pictures/before and after

Old 09-15-2022, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Default Firehawk

The Hawk has 49,500ish miles. I have only gotten picture estimates and Hawks Motorsports was the ones who said they could fix it but I have to send it up to them to get the full estimate. Ive had trouble finding places to fix it. Everyone is unwilling because its hard to find parts. The passenger side was hit with enough force to cause the window to crack. So im not sure if it has frame damage or if the crumple zone just pushed back a little bit and caused the pressure to break the windshield.
as for my attachment. I feel like it is significant. When i was young i used to have a hot wheels that was of the lt1 firebird. Its where i fell in love with them. Im closing up on 40 now and realize that a corvette is a better car. I had always wanted a firehawk and when i had the opportunity to buy one i went and got it. I had also had another trans am for about 10 years before. I had tried getting a camaro ss and an impala ss. My wife got tired of hearing me talk about my firebird so i went and bought another one. So its mostly all ive known for the last 15 out of the last 16/17 or so years. I am concerned it could have other issues or when i get it looked at the price could skyrocket and i do have a limited amount of funds. I had no plans of ever getting rid of it originally. Now its sitting on market places while i make a decision. It would not bother me what others think to fix it. And theres a lot of small and large customization thst has been. The only things i had planned on doing left to it was redo the headliner/carpet and seats at some point and redo the shocks/springs and sway bar.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmaywhort
The Hawk has 49,500ish miles. I have only gotten picture estimates and Hawks Motorsports was the ones who said they could fix it but I have to send it up to them to get the full estimate.
Your FireHawk is a beautiful car. I'm sorry the Hawk met with misfortune.

My first impression is your car had a collision very similar to my RS, however parts will be more far more challenging to get. Bruce, the owner of Hawk's was instrumental in me being able to save my 91 RS.

Ive had trouble finding places to fix it. Everyone is unwilling because its hard to find parts. The passenger side was hit with enough force to cause the window to crack.
Is there also passenger side impact damage?

So im not sure if it has frame damage or if the crumple zone just pushed back a little bit and caused the pressure to break the windshield.
I belive the car will have several sessions on the frame machine to pull the unibody back into shape. My RS had three rounds of being pulled on the frame machine. The unibody is also confirmed to be within GM spec for a undamaged fbody. So while that looks and sounds scary 😨, I believe based on my experience the car is fixable.

as for my attachment. I feel like it is significant. When i was young i used to have a hot wheels that was of the lt1 firebird. Its where i fell in love with them. Im closing up on 40 now and realize that a corvette is a better car. I had always wanted a firehawk and when i had the opportunity to buy one i went and got it. I had also had another trans am for about 10 years before. I had tried getting a camaro ss and an impala ss. My wife got tired of hearing me talk about my firebird so i went and bought another one. So its mostly all ive known for the last 15 out of the last 16/17 or so years. I am concerned it could have other issues or when i get it looked at the price could skyrocket and i do have a limited amount of funds. I had no plans of ever getting rid of it originally. Now its sitting on market places while i make a decision. It would not bother me what others think to fix it. And theres a lot of small and large customization thst has been. The only things i had planned on doing left to it was redo the headliner/carpet and seats at some point and redo the shocks/springs and sway bar.
Seems like the car is a candidate to save based on attachment if the insurance funds, other funds are sufficient and your wife is honestly supportive of the idea. However, financially moving on is the correct choice.

Transporting car to Hawk's will be a wild car factor. That will probably add $1,000 to cost unless you can trailer the car yourself. Even then it will be expensive.

I'd want at least $15,000 in hand to take on repair if my car. I'd also not be surprised for repairs to be close to $18,000 depending on details etc. Fixing my RS in 2001-02 cost $5,000 which would be ~$9,000 today but parts were pretty inexpensive and no transporting the car was to speak of was required. No specialty parts required, guessing $2,500 for FireHawk hood & labor to trim fit new front bumper cover. $1000 for transport and $2,500 for unexpected issues so ~$15,000

Where any chrome wheels damaged? Replacement of the FireHawk hood will be potential budget breaker if OEM hood is desired. Definitely see what the hood will cost from Hawk's.

Engine, transmission, rear end etc were all unharmed in my car. Seldom are those items damaged in this sort of wreck. New radiator, AC condenser, radiator core support, motor mounts, fender, hood, ground effects, front spoiler, grill, air bag, and windshield, sway bar bracket, heater/AC box.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 09-15-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

I've owned both a C4 and C6 and if you can live with limited interior space, a Corvette may be the way to go. However, 1st year Corvettes are risky. If everything has been worked out over the years with the one you are considering, then maybe that is the way to go. Sorry about the accident
Jmaywhort (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Default Damage

It was a front right/mostly head on collision with a concrete barrier after i lost control. The side damage is the passenger side front fender.
My wife was originally not happy and said i couldnt have another one. She just wants me to make a decision now.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Default Transportation and cost of repair

Those are fairly close estimates to what i was told. Minus the firehawk specific parts. Hood being the big one. Transportation quote was $800. To fix was 13-15,000 plus a little extra for firehawk specific parts and the dash
Old 09-15-2022, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Default Interior space

I drove a couple c5's because my original idea was to transfer my engine to the c5. It felt exactly like my firehawk did interior wise. Id imagine a c6 is similar. I dont have people in the back much. Only my kids and rarely. My wife's car fits the family. So space isnt a concern. i have to make a decision today. So got a few more hours to think it over.
NC01TA (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 447 Likes on 342 Posts

If you dont want to fix it how much would you take for it?
If it was mine and I could do the work myslef I would certainly fix it, otherwise that looks like a rabbit hole of hours in a body shop.

Edit: Nevermind found it on marketplace...... little out of my price range but its honestly probably worth that in parts.
Jmaywhort (09-17-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the replies. Thank you 99 blackbird T/A.
i talked it over with my wife. Hopefully I can get mine back up close to factory spec like your RS. Theres just to much sentimental value and to much work on this low mileage hawk for me to let it rust or part with it. I appreciate everything.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jmaywhort:
99 Black Bird T/A (09-18-2022), Ls7colorado (09-15-2022), Nathan C (09-16-2022), NC01TA (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Looks like a decision has been made, but I wouldn't fix it if it were mine. I'd take that $15k+ from the estimate, plus whatever insurance gave you (I'm guessing you bought it back?), plus whatever you can get for parts (or keep good parts that you'd want to use again) and just get another Firehawk. They are out there if you are open to getting one that's not exactly the same car (meaning down to the last option). But Red is a common color so you might be able to find a pretty close match, maybe even one with lower miles (~50k isn't really that low; lots of these have been owned by collectors and some still pop up with as little as 3-digit mileage - so finding another one in comparable condition, or better, would very likely be doable if you are willing to travel or have it shipped).

Just thought I would mention this in case you're still somewhat on the fence...either way, very sorry about the whole situation. It really sucks.
NC01TA (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Default Buying another firehawk.

Honestly. That was my first idea. I looked on car gurus, autotrader, facebook market place, craigslist, and googles searches.
I couldnt find a firehawk anywhere for a decent price. i soent roughly 6 weeks doing that before i opened up to include corvettes. Its been almost 3 months. Firehawk were going for crazy dollar amounts. Hard to find them for less than 30,000. I looked over the entire nation. Found a few in the low 20,000s. But not to many. Seems like alot of work. And I never notified insurance. I had to go through buying a car back before and that was a headache.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 144 Posts

If that happened to my car, I would keep and fix it if possible. A LOTB Firehawk that you've owned for 15 years is pretty special to you. Good luck.
Jmaywhort (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

For the price of a c6, I would get an early 70s bird...way cooler and easier to work on. Imo. And if you can still drop the aluminum ls in there, even better.
Jmaywhort (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Repair the Firehawk and keep driving it.

Since you're young, if you ever want a C5/6/7 you will always be able to find one. GM made gobs of them and most owners stare at them in their garages.

Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by 70T/A400:
99 Black Bird T/A (09-17-2022), Jmaywhort (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:08 PM
Teching In

The early birds were iconic but something about the 4th gen firebirds in general and the firehawks hood always drew my attention.
as for My LS, it has roughly 8,000 miles on it since I changed out the cam/heads/ls7 lifters/ches trunion upgrade/chromoly pushrods cam plate etc. Top half of the engine is brand new and she was running strong.
Nathan C (09-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Fix my 02 trans am Firehawk or buy a corvette