General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I want to beat a stock coyote F 150

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to beat a stock coyote F 150

Build.
2002 Yukon Denali XL AWD 245k miles
Trans 4L65E i believe (Stock)
Lq4 6.0
Stock other then Cold air.

Basically, engine is tired. I want to find the cheapest fastest route to continue working out of it. I also am tired of my Coworker beating me around town in his very much stock coyote F150

I want longevity.
I want the drivability to be close as possible if so.
I need ideas
You're the experts please tell me what to do other then BUY another vehicle. Honestly this has been the best vehicle i have ever owned, and she deserves it.
I have 10k maybe 15k, I want it to be as close to sounding stock as possible to have a more sleeper appeal, but where I live I could get away with it sounding not like a stock Denali with Borla.

I just signed up, so please don't beat me up.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 578 Likes on 448 Posts

1) Put a 6.2 liter in it with a very small cam.
2) if the engine is completely worn out, rebuild it, stroke it and put a 7875 turbo on it.
3) put a turbo on it.

be prepared, no matter what you do, to upgrade the fuel injectors, fuel pump, rear end (the spider gears are going to shatter and take the whole thing with it) and the transmission is going to break or burn up.
in a nutshell your going to end up putting thousands and thousands of dollars in it to beat a stock vehicle.

my advice: ponder on this for a moment. Do you really want to sink that kind of money in a two decade old vehicle and constantly have to work on it? All to outrun a new stock truck? You’re asking for a bunch of headaches. You are going to make your daily driver unreliable. You said you didn’t want to hear it, but I think you really need to consider. Trade/sell your vehicle and put some of that money that you are about to waste, down on a newer 2019 and up 6.2 Silverado 4wd and mop the floor with him. The note you’ll be paying every month would end up being spent on repairs and the extra fuel that your modded, inefficient older vehicle will suck from your wallet.

would you like to know how I come to this conclusion? I did the same thing with a 99 Silverado. Wasted a ton of money, cam/headers/ exhaust/gears/posi traction/built trans/stall…..and I still ended up with an old raggedy 99 Silverado that was barely faster than a stock 2017 Silverado. My stock 2019 would beat it.

I'm giving you solid advice. Do not listen to me if you like wasting time and money.
The following users liked this post:
SSDenaliXL (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Edit. I just looked up the weight on the vehicle in question. I came up with 5900lbs. Man, you are truly wasting your time. You’ll need 150-200hp (maybe more) more than that 5.0 truck to outrun it. You got 10-15 grand to spend? Man you could be in a newer truck easily with that kind of down payment and add in selling the Yukon. You’d almost be able to pay for a 2019 up Silverado. Well kinda close to it. Your note wouldn’t be much. You’d be a fool to throw all that money at a 5900lb vehicle to try and make it run. You’ll need a 4l80 swap for sure. A 4l60 (65..same thing) isn’t going to last with power and that much weight. You are pissing up a rope in my opinion.
SSDenaliXL (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Edit. I just looked up the weight on the vehicle in question. I came up with 5900lbs. Man, you are truly wasting your time. You’ll need 150-200hp (maybe more) more than that 5.0 truck to outrun it. You got 10-15 grand to spend? Man you could be in a newer truck easily with that kind of down payment and add in selling the Yukon. You’d almost be able to pay for a 2019 up Silverado. Well kinda close to it. Your note wouldn’t be much. You’d be a fool to throw all that money at a 5900lb vehicle to try and make it run. You’ll need a 4l80 swap for sure. A 4l60 (65..same thing) isn’t going to last with power and that much weight. You are pissing up a rope in my opinion.
Well.... i guess i will look at newer trucks. Upsetting honestly, i figured i could at least slightly keep up. I was even thinking a SS trailblazer could hold its own, that being said a maybe 1000 pound difference in weight. thanks for the advice, what need to be done to a 2015 6.2 GMC Sierra? Of course a later year truck would be more responsibly priced especially with added cost to potential mods
Old 12-17-2023, 11:40 PM
Teching In

1) Put a 6.2 liter in it with a very small cam.
2) if the engine is completely worn out, rebuild it, stroke it and put a 7875 turbo on it.
3) put a turbo on it.

be prepared, no matter what you do, to upgrade the fuel injectors, fuel pump, rear end (the spider gears are going to shatter and take the whole thing with it) and the transmission is going to break or burn up.
in a nutshell your going to end up putting thousands and thousands of dollars in it to beat a stock vehicle.

my advice: ponder on this for a moment. Do you really want to sink that kind of money in a two decade old vehicle and constantly have to work on it? All to outrun a new stock truck? You’re asking for a bunch of headaches. You are going to make your daily driver unreliable. You said you didn’t want to hear it, but I think you really need to consider. Trade/sell your vehicle and put some of that money that you are about to waste, down on a newer 2019 and up 6.2 Silverado 4wd and mop the floor with him. The note you’ll be paying every month would end up being spent on repairs and the extra fuel that your modded, inefficient older vehicle will suck from your wallet.

would you like to know how I come to this conclusion? I did the same thing with a 99 Silverado. Wasted a ton of money, cam/headers/ exhaust/gears/posi traction/built trans/stall…..and I still ended up with an old raggedy 99 Silverado that was barely faster than a stock 2017 Silverado. My stock 2019 would beat it.

I'm giving you solid advice. Do not listen to me if you like wasting time and money.
Thank you very much for your honest response. I wasn't looking for a payment, seems I need one.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSDenaliXL
Well.... i guess i will look at newer trucks. Upsetting honestly, i figured i could at least slightly keep up. I was even thinking a SS trailblazer could hold its own, that being said a maybe 1000 pound difference in weight. thanks for the advice, what need to be done to a 2015 6.2 GMC Sierra? Of course a later year truck would be more responsibly priced especially with added cost to potential mods
man I just tuned a 2015 sierra 5.3 4wd. All stock. Just a tune. If you rode in it before and after, you’d be amazed. When I took a ride before messing with the tune, I ran a data long on it. When he floored it, timing went to negative. Then built up to 5 degrees and slowly to 8 degrees and at the top of the rpm it was getting like 14-15 degrees. I added some down low and in the midrange and it would put your head against the seat when he floored it in 4wd from a dead. If it had a 6.2, it would be even more impressive. I think a tune only 6.2 would outrun that 5.0 truck. The tune is neutered from the factory.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Thank you very much for your honest response. I wasn't looking for a payment, seems I need one.
I’m sorry for disappointing you. I really am. But my intentions are good, trying to save you the hassle, time, money and disappointment.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I wasn't looking for a payment, seems I need one.
Actually, THIS is the thing you should reconsider more than anything else mentioned in this thread. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I wouldn't consider taking on a vehicle payment just to be competitive with a coworker while street racing. Your goal is not a need, it's a luxury, therefore it's only something I would consider if it could be accomplished without going into debt.

That said, if you want to keep your current truck and just would like to improve its performance some while also freshening it up, there's nothing wrong with that - especially if it's still in good shape (cosmetically) and in a good state of general maintenance. But keep your expectations modest if you go down this road; you can make it a bit more fun to drive, but I wouldn't be chasing after any "King of the Street" titles with a vehicle of that size/weight.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Actually, THIS is the thing you should reconsider more than anything else mentioned in this thread. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I wouldn't consider taking on a vehicle payment just to be competitive with a coworker while street racing. Your goal is not a need, it's a luxury, therefore it's only something I would consider if it could be accomplished without going into debt.

That said, if you want to keep your current truck and just would like to improve its performance some while also freshening it up, there's nothing wrong with that - especially if it's still in good shape (cosmetically) and in a good state of general maintenance. But keep your expectations modest if you go down this road; you can make it a bit more fun to drive, but I wouldn't be chasing after any "King of the Street" titles with a vehicle of that size/weight.
With that being said what should I do to my SUV. It's a beautiful truck still. I had the whole interior replaced, exterior is in great condition. It's my everyday, I want to really refresh and keep the truck.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Stock I think the 5.0 F150’s are/were running like 15 second 1/4 miles. If your motor wasn’t tired I’d say to go with some sort of forced induction. You’re going to need enough bang to knock off something like two seconds for your buck to be competitive I think.
*Edit*
Was the XL the Suburban sized one??

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 12-18-2023 at 06:37 AM.
SSDenaliXL (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 235 Likes on 174 Posts

Does it smoke? If not then I'd get a set of 243 heads and get them cnc port, polished and milled so it bumps the compression a bit, then I'd go through and change all the gaskets and seals, timing chain, put a good oil pump on it, get a truck cam one that comes as a kit with the springs included, trunnion upgrade, tbss intake manifold/throttle body and I'd put a good convertor and 4l80 tranny. This can easier be done for 10 to 15 grand. I'd say exhaust too but you say you want to stay close to sounding stock. Nothing I named would ruin his reliability.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
Does it smoke? If not then I'd get a set of 243 heads and get them cnc port, polished and milled so it bumps the compression a bit, then I'd go through and change all the gaskets and seals, timing chain, put a good oil pump on it, get a truck cam one that comes as a kit with the springs included, trunnion upgrade, tbss intake manifold/throttle body and I'd put a good convertor and 4l80 tranny. This can easier be done for 10 to 15 grand. I'd say exhaust too but you say you want to stay close to sounding stock. Nothing I named would ruin his reliability.
I don't know if this is an option
my cousin works for Advance auto
For me to get a whole new long block without a core deposit in at 3200.
a refurbished 4l80 trans i can get for 1800
next would be new heads to put on the new long block. I know the long block comes with a set. What do the 243s come stock on?
Old 12-18-2023, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know if this is an option
my cousin works for Advance auto
For me to get a whole new long block without a core deposit in at 3200.
a refurbished 4l80 trans i can get for 1800
next would be new heads to put on the new long block. I know the long block comes with a set. What do the 243s come stock on?
I didn't mention anything about a long block, keep your same short block and replace timing chain and oil pump, while you have it pulled apart take the shortblock to a machine shop and have them look over it and if any bearings or anything looks wore out have them replace them, if not then roll with it. You can get 243 heads with everything done to them for about 1500$, I paid 900$ at Calhoun performance in Louisiana and that was me dropping off both heads and them cnc port, polished and milled .035 and them putting springs and everything, you can find 243 heads everywhere man and them come on multiple different ls motors and even in you had to buy the springs you can get a btr cam with the springs for around 6 or 700. You can get a good convertor anywhere from 600 to 1800 just depends how good you want to go, but I wouldn't buy the best of the best as your not building a race car here, 1800 for a transmission isn't bad, but same with that, you can find them pretty easily too, not to mention you could buy a transmission from frank here on this sight as he builds transmissions that are horsepower rated, and he has really good prices and doesn't need a core. You have a good motor man, no reason to replace it, I guarantee you if you pulled that motor and put it for sale on here it would sell fast, because everyone here knows you can easily make power with that motor. Everyone has there opinion but I definitely wouldn't get a note, if this thing has value too you and it's what you want to do then I say go for it.
SSDenaliXL (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

, I guarantee you if you pulled that motor and put it for sale on here it would sell fast, because everyone here knows you can easily make power with that motor. Everyone has there opinion but I definitely wouldn't get a note, if this thing has value too you and it's what you want to do then I say go for it.
I think the Coyote F150’s are putting down like 360-370 at the wheels. What do 243 headed 6.0’s with truck cams usually make?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 12-18-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 534 Likes on 396 Posts

I did the same thing with a 99 Silverado. Wasted a ton of money, cam/headers/ exhaust/gears/posi traction/built trans/stall…..and I still ended up with an old raggedy 99 Silverado
I feel attacked lol
The following 3 users liked this post by TrendSetter:
Kfxguy (12-18-2023), Tommy42088 (12-18-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I feel attacked lol
sorry. I like my old Silverado, but my new one puts it to shame in every way.

heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual climate control, 8 speed trans, 22-24 mpg, awesome looking LED headlights, remote start, remote tailgate release, led bed lighting, super light aluminum tailgate, power seats, nice sounding stereo, huge touchscreen radio with apple car play, and it rides and drives so much nicer and quieter.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I think the Coyote F150’s are putting down like 360-370 at the wheels. What do 243 headed 6.0’s with truck cams usually make?
my lm7 when it was all motor made 392 rwhp, sbe 5.3 ,BTR GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - STAGE 3 - V2| BTR31824100 (218/224 .553/.553 110+0, trunnion upgrade, 102mm knock off brand intake manifold & throttle body, aeromotive 340 pump, flex fuel sensor, 6an feed n return on e85
Y2K_Frenzy (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

my lm7 when it was all motor made 392 rwhp, sbe 5.3 ,BTR GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - STAGE 3 - V2| BTR31824100 (218/224 .553/.553 110+0, trunnion upgrade, 102mm knock off brand intake manifold & throttle body, aeromotive 340 pump, flex fuel sensor, 6an feed n return on e85
How quick was it?
Old 12-18-2023, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

sorry. I like my old Silverado, but my new one puts it to shame in every way.

heated seats, heated steering wheel, dual climate control, 8 speed trans, 22-24 mpg, awesome looking LED headlights, remote start, remote tailgate release, led bed lighting, super light aluminum tailgate, power seats, nice sounding stereo, huge touchscreen radio with apple car play, and it rides and drives so much nicer and quieter.

I like my 2019 as well, but id still personally never get rid of my old 2000 truck. At the end of the day its his choice tho right. I was just simple letting him know its possible and for his price range its very achievable. Hes says its tired, but what does tired mean? A few good parts could bring that thing back to life
Old 12-18-2023, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
How quick was it?
Consistent high 13's, 13.80ish, a few 13.7
Y2K_Frenzy (12-18-2023)

Quick Reply: I want to beat a stock coyote F 150