General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Intake Manifold Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Help

So I’m finally doing a cam job on my 2001 z28 LS1 and I’m getting stuck at choosing intake manifolds, I had my eye set on the BTR trinity 102mm intake manifold when I bought my stage 3 cam kit from their website, I just wanted to hear people’s opinions on that I take manifold if they’ve ran before or if there are better manifolds I should be looking at and the reasoning as to why, many intakes in the market and for a somewhat newbie like my self I just don’t know which path to take.

thank in advance and I’m looking forward to reading your answers
Old 06-24-2024, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisBxtch
So I’m finally doing a cam job on my 2001 z28 LS1 and I’m getting stuck at choosing intake manifolds, I had my eye set on the BTR trinity 102mm intake manifold when I bought my stage 3 cam kit from their website, I just wanted to hear people’s opinions on that I take manifold if they’ve ran before or if there are better manifolds I should be looking at and the reasoning as to why, many intakes in the market and for a somewhat newbie like my self I just don’t know which path to take.

thank in advance and I’m looking forward to reading your answers
Newbie here myself with no first hand experience. However, when I was looking at different top end combos the intake manifolds didn’t seem to make all that big of an impact. There were power gains with them, but not huge gains. Especially for the price. They were all in the 5-20 horsepower range (depending on cam & heads) and I think the bulk were in the 10’ish horsepower range as far as gains go. I know this doesn’t answer your question but if it were me I’d rather be minus 20 horsepower than to spend $1k for 20. Since you already have an LS6 intake I might would just rock that one unless you’re looking to make “every ounce” of power that you can make. Twenty’ish horsepower isn’t all that much really.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-24-2024 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

I am just running my LS6 intake. The gains weren't enough for me to spend the money. Now when I do finally either turbo the car or add nitrous I will upgrade.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

Remember, all the gains of that BTR intake are going to be up top, and it'll kill torque down low because of the short runners. It's a better intake for a forced induction application. Look for a used LS6 intake.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Remember, all the gains of that BTR intake are going to be up top, and it'll kill torque down low because of the short runners. It's a better intake for a forced induction application. Look for a used LS6 intake.
I think he has an ‘01 so he should already have the LS6. I could be way wrong but I think pretty much all intakes on the market will primarily gain horsepower at a “high” rpm. I think that rule might even apply when a stock LS1 switches from an LS1 mani to an LS6. I think I’ve read about something like a 7 horse gain at the top of the powerband.
The following users liked this post:
01CamaroSSTx (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,356 Posts

What are your plans for the car first and foremost? For those looking to squeeze every bit of horsepower they can and still be able to close the hood the FAST LSXr 102 is still the King, especially one of those Mamo ported ones. There's some billet aluminum intakes out there that work under the factory hood but they're also very expensive. I think LME's range anywhere from 5K-9K and for that kind of coin I'm thinking keep the intake and buy a ProCharger kit to make even mo powa..
Y2K_Frenzy (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 04:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

I'm speaking more about the fact that short runner intakes kill low end torque. In a real street application, losing 30 lb. ft. below 4000 RPM is not worth a 7-10 HP gain up top. As stated, high end intakes like the LSXR and ported versions are the way to go. They generally pick up power everywhere. If the OP already has an LS6, one of those would be the next logical upgrade.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the BTR Trinity. It’s a really nice intake from a look and quality standpoint.

I bought it for a couple reasons. I wanted to keep my cowl and my tuner liked it for boost applications.

im building a true street no prep car. But want it to still have the bells and whistles instead of being a gutted tin can (for now lol).

My car is procharged for what it’s worth. And we let the motor run up to 7200, not super high but high enough for the intake. Interesting enough we didn’t lose any torque down low. It kept pace with hp for a long while on the dyno.

all that being said if I wasn’t procharged or didn’t plan on going boosted I would have seen if I could have found a shaved truck intake and made that fit or an ls6. Truck intakes no matter how hideous they are make great power and are dirt cheap. But the ls6 for stock seems to be king.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-25-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

Unless it's a full on serious turbo build, I'd take a plastic, long runner intake on just about anything over the Trinity. It kiillls low end.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Op I'm in the same point of my build as you on a 2000 trans am. I'm stuck trying to decide between the fast 92 and the fast 102. Leaning twords the 92 as mine is a NA build. From my research if not going with an ls6 or truck manifold the fast manifold is as about as good as it gets.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Help