General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Whats too fast.........??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats too fast.........??????

Whats too fast for a daily driver?? I hear/see alot of comments saying "yeah its fast, but its a race car" type stuff and Im curious on at what point do you convert your fast street car into a race car???

I had mine to 11.03 with stock parts failing and cops being too hard to deal with. I made the choice to open the roof and go for broke with an all out drag car, which Ive always wanted to do. I understand that I went from a fast street car to a slow race car, but when is enough, enough??? 10's? 9's? **** 8's to get your car off the street? In cali it seems like anything under 13's is illegal and going to get you in trouble.

Honestly it is WAY harder to build a track only car that it is to build a weekend warrior, but alot of people cant understand unless they are doing it themselves. I dont think I would do it this way again if I knew how difficult and costly it was going to be.

Also, what is considered "STREET LEGAL?" My car could easily drive around all day, but laws wont allow it. Is it Cali's version of street legal or the cars capabilities???

I am truely curious on your opinions.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Street LEGAL: whatever your local government says you can drive.

Street DRIVABLE: whatever you are comfortable driving around with other drivers and won't freak out if you happen to find a traffic jam (do you get those in Cali?? )
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

11.49 and above for my street car.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as too fast.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

It has nothing to do with how fast it will run the quarter. If it is street legal in your area and you actually drive it out on the road with some type of regularity then it is a fast street car. If you can't drive it in your area and it gets to the track on a trailer, then it is a race car. Easy as that.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually consider the high end cars capable of 200 plus as being on the threshold of too fast. But I guess generally too fast is a subjective idea. Too fast is what is beyond your ability to control and anticipate.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jpat1023
It has nothing to do with how fast it will run the quarter. If it is street legal in your area and you actually drive it out on the road with some type of regularity then it is a fast street car. If you can't drive it in your area and it gets to the track on a trailer, then it is a race car. Easy as that.

I agree. Perfect answer I was looking for
Old 07-14-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Just like above.....
Old 07-15-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetassasin
i like this guy's opinion....but its too fast when you cant handle it..
Old 07-15-2006, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
Originally Posted by streetassasin
i like this guy's opinion....but its too fast when you cant handle it..
i think the same dang thing.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
Too fast is what is beyond your ability to control and anticipate.

That has to be the smartest way of puttin it i've ever read, great wording!!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Its all relative, im finishing up restoring a 64 chevelle with a 572 cu in block putting on 700hp with a bunch of fiberglass parts, car weighs well under 3000 lbs, Fast as hell. so it could be used quite well as a drag car, but its actually only gonna be driven on the street, funny enough because its not track legal
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any car faster than mine is a race car.

Which means I have the fastest street car in the world.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NosboySS
Whats too fast for a daily driver?? I hear/see alot of comments saying "yeah its fast, but its a race car" type stuff and Im curious on at what point do you convert your fast street car into a race car???
Like others have said, "street car" vs "race car" has nothing at all to do with what it runs in the 1/4. It has everything to do with the ability to drive the car around on the street. This is called "streetable" or "daily drivable."

Exactly what disqualifies a car from that label is very much open to debate. Most people define it by what they, personally, are willing to drive around on the street.

You could have one fellow with a fully gutted interior, running "not approved for street use" slicks and skinnies, with a 14:1 compression solid lifter motor on race gas, full drag suspension, cage, and 4000 stalled full-drag no-overdrive tranny who says, "well, I drive it the 1/2 mile to work, so it's a street car."

On the other end, you have a guy who sees a bone stock car with a loudmouth catback and says "Man, that thing's too loud! I'd never drive it, so it's a race car."

I have my own opinion, of course. As you might guess, it's neither of the above.

For the record, I very much agree with the "slow race car" theory. Race cars run 5's, 6's, and such. After a certain point, you no longer have an impressive-as-hell street car, but rather a slow *** race car.

Unless it does in fact run 5's. Then it's a fast race car.

Also, what is considered "STREET LEGAL?" My car could easily drive around all day, but laws wont allow it. Is it Cali's version of street legal or the cars capabilities???
Street legal means that your local laws allow you to drive it around on the street. Since laws vary from place to place, then "street legal" cars are going to vary as well. "Street legal" is not the same thing as "streetable" or "street car vs race car." You could very well have a car that is perfectly easy to drive on the street, but won't pass your local emissions testing.

Last edited by black_knight; 07-16-2006 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Street LEGAL: whatever your local government says you can drive.

Street DRIVABLE: whatever you are comfortable driving around with other drivers and won't freak out if you happen to find a traffic jam (do you get those in Cali?? )
I agree with that. I go to alot of car shows up here in NYC and there are a ton of Pro Street style Car's. They are not track legal or street legal. But cops up here really don't give a **** as long as it has muffler's and your not doing stupid **** in front of them. I had a 87 Pro street SS Monte (dual carb,6-71 blower,manual th400,tubbed) that I drove for over 2 years and never had a problem with cop's. You can get an inspection sticker almost anywhere here. They're just temperamental toy's (mine hated sitting in traffic!)they drive on weekends. Like what the others said, It's what you and the cops can put up with and what kind of drivabilty you want to deal with.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Im out here in CA and I would give anything for the cops to just back off a little. I did a test one time and sure enough I got pulled over. I had my 100% street legal just smogged a week before Formula and decided to take it out with the Welds. Fatties out back (steet legal tires) and skinnies up front (totally legal also). Looked mean as hell, but quiet and slow as hell. Got to the gas station about 2miles from my house and got pulled over. 4 more cops pulled AND an "inspector" pulled in later to go over the entire car. I just laughed cause all I got was a window tint ticket (only 1 window was tinted also!)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NosboySS
Im out here in CA and I would give anything for the cops to just back off a little. I did a test one time and sure enough I got pulled over. I had my 100% street legal just smogged a week before Formula and decided to take it out with the Welds. Fatties out back (steet legal tires) and skinnies up front (totally legal also). Looked mean as hell, but quiet and slow as hell. Got to the gas station about 2miles from my house and got pulled over. 4 more cops pulled AND an "inspector" pulled in later to go over the entire car. I just laughed cause all I got was a window tint ticket (only 1 window was tinted also!)
LOL, I am going to do that once the green car in the sig completely registered, MT drag radails in the back and the DOT skinnies up front!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spellbound
LOL, I am going to do that once the green car in the sig completely registered, MT drag radails in the back and the DOT skinnies up front!
dude how do you drive all them damn f-bods lol
Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
dude how do you drive all them damn f-bods lol
The red one and the yellow one are my girlfriends, lol
Old 07-16-2006, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

mid 10 sec KB cobra here, street legal, very drivable, and my daily driver.

cory