General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've gotten 2 or 3 tickets, cant remember, i always just put a plate on my car, take a picture, take it to court and get it dismissed. So far i havent had to pay for a ticket yet, either way, i dont care how many tickets i get, i will NEVER have a front plate on my TA.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

thats cool. I dont have the best reputation in the city and would rather save my $$ for more mods than giving it to the city!!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

I just tell the cop to write me up, because the liscense plate isn't going on the front of the car.

If he gives me greef, I have been known to mention to the poliece officer, that the Minneapolis (i live in minnesota) per capata violent crime rate is 2.5 times that of new york, so officer, don't you have something better to be doing then give me my "no plate" tax?

though After Thoughts auto makes a clear cover that is formed to go with the bumper:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ponfirclearl.html

Last edited by zeeboid; 07-24-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

thats where I got mine and I will post pics now that I have it on. When I got mine I was just coming back for the race track.....Had my shoe polish still on the window and street DR's still on. He was prolly just fuggin with me. It doesnt look that bad...I will probably see if I can smoke the clear or something to f*ck with the right back
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zeeboid
I just tell the cop to write me up, because the liscense plate isn't going on the front of the car.

If he gives me greef, I have been known to mention to the poliece officer, that the Minneapolis (i live in minnesota) per capata violent crime rate is 2.5 times that of new york, so officer, don't you have something better to be doing then give me my "no plate" tax?

though After Thoughts auto makes a clear cover that is formed to go with the bumper:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ponfirclearl.html
Thats a pretty nice cover. I like how the Phoenix is embossed instead of a graphic, so it blurs the plate if you read it at an angle

It would be even more stealthy if you "smoked" it with Niteshades or something, then not only would it be blurry, but it would be hard to read even from head on.

Cops really need better things to do though, its pathetic.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never taken my cover off here in Texas. I have gotten stopped but they only give me a warning. One state trooper said it was okay for me to display it on the windshield. That as long as it was visible it was okay. If any other law officer told me otherwise, that I should just take him to court and will end up getting my ticket dismissed anyway.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since ive owned my car ive had 5 tickets for no front license plate. out of the roughly 15 times ive been pulled over for NOT having a front license plate.

now its on there and i hate it!!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

i have no front plate and i have never been bothered.....i also have tints, and illegal exxhaust so when i get pulled over i try to not antagonize the cops cuz a speeding ticket could turn into that plus 3 others....i suppose its all in how you play the game and what your willing to risk...even if i got ticketed for it i wouldnt put it on cuz i think it looks bad and i bought my t/a cuz it looks good so whatever its jus my .02
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

I live in Missouri and havent ran a front plate since 1990 when I sold my 63' Galaxy, since then i have had several cars a couple of camaro's and TA's, Fiat's, MG's a Daytona etc, etc..........

I only got a ticket 2 times BOTH times I got pulled over for speeding and BOTH times I got multiple tickets so I just chalked it up to the cop having a bad day.

The plate tickets are like $35-40 , spending 3 hours of my life going to court just wasnt worth it, I just payed it and didnt sweat it. Besides it doesnt effect your insurance premiums so who cares.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I don't a front plate on, and I get paranoid everytime I pass a cop. I'd like to get one of those clear covers, where can I get one for a C5?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
I don't a front plate on, and I get paranoid everytime I pass a cop. I'd like to get one of those clear covers, where can I get one for a C5?
dont get a clear cover your car is amazing black on black come on you would destroy the front fascia if you did that....dont let us down man
Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

When i had my plate in the front window I got pulled over within a week. Now that it is in the back seat and completely out of sight I do not get a second look. Like someone said earlier, if they see you from the front they think out of state, if they see you from behind, its cool, but if they see a plate in the window you will at least get a lecture.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, I was just wondering why this is a law is there some apparent reason I just can't think of?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
Hey guys, I was just wondering why this is a law is there some apparent reason I just can't think of?
in states that require a front plate there are a couple of reasons;

Easier to identify the vehicle
Flat surface to bounce radar, lazer off of for speed inforcement
Keep people from running split plates one licence and 2 cars
Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

One day after buying my SS I got pulled over for no front plate and dark window tint. Just a good ol Texas warning. I still havent got it mounted, I just have it up on the dash. By the way, 2% tint is illegal. hahaha
Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Topless TA
in states that require a front plate there are a couple of reasons;

Easier to identify the vehicle
Flat surface to bounce radar, lazer off of for speed inforcement
Keep people from running split plates one licence and 2 cars
does anyone sell a body kit for the Trans Am thats made out of the same stuff the Stealth Bomber is made out of?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I like that SLP plate bracket and am going to purchase it... I don't like to give the police any reason to just pull me over and waste my time.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

We need a front plate in CT.

Got a ticket for it once.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get hasseled all the time for not having a front plate when i come onto base here at quantico, i guess the MPs have to go off of virginia state law and it seems as though we have to run a front plate in va, i hate this damn state! ive tried every possible way to make a front plat look cool, ive used the slp side mountng bracket, but that looked worse in my opinion than stock, then i mounted it behind my billet grill and still got a ticket, so now i have it mounted on the drivers side of the grill with zip ties.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

I have personal plates front and rear with chrome-surrounds and S/S bolts [4 per each plate] and both have clear plastic covers....our personal plates also come in a choice of scenic backdrop....I chose a light blue sky, darker blue / green water, and dark mountains...I was pulled over once and the cop asked me where I was from.!!!!

Quick Reply: Front license plates