General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a front plate for awhile in Hermosa Beach, California, but I kept seeing all these Porsches, BMWs and other pricey cars without plates. I'd guess 15% of the cars around here don't have front plates. So I got a billet grille and ditched my front plate and have never been bothered for going on two years. I noticed that several of the posters in this thread have billet grilles and don't get hassled about not having a plate. I think it's because a billet grille looks like a plate just doesn't belong there.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

im supposed to have one in IL but i know every cop in town and they dont care and i use the excuse with state cops that im making a bracket (since i have the holes drilled on the underside of the bumper) because of my SS grille. one state cop pulled me over and asked why i didnt have it and i flat out said "because that grille is too damn pretty to drill into and cover"...he said "yeah, i own one too, i understand." so ive never had any issues.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Ive Been Ticketed For No Front Plate Once...ever Since I Leave It In The Windshield And Police Dont Even Ask...my Town Is So **** Towards Fix It Tickets Also...well I Wont Mount Mine Untill The Fines Go Sky High And They Can Lick My Hurst ****. Front License Plates Look So Fucked Up On An F Body Since The Front Is The Sexiest Part Of The Vehicle.isay Well Its Away Better Ticket Than Speeding So Fugget About It.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I'm finally picking up a car on sat.

This car has an slp grill but for me to put a plate on the front I'm gonna hafta take that off and put a stocker on I guess . I really don't want to do this but I really can't afford to be pulled over all the time. The slp grill looks badass and the stocker will look like crap in comparison. I looked into the slp brackets but I think that also makes the front look like crap.

Is there any more options?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Just so you guys know....It does NOT matter if it is in the windshield, it is only supposed to be on the front bumper of the car. Well at least thats how it is here in CA
Old 10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats the way it is here in MO to, cause I've been pulled over for having it in my windshield.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

I got pulled over and got a warning one time and then a 75 dollar ticket the second.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the link to the SLP bracket is broken. i havent had a front license plate for 3 years and never got harassed about it. i got pulled over one time for somthing, i dont remember what, but he looked around at my car and told me i needed a front plate but said it would make my sweet ride look like ****, so he let me go.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we dont have to thave them down here, sooo im thinkin about throwin a GA state flag plate on....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen people with their front plates mounted to the lower air dam. That puts it on the front of the car, sorta, right?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

im not gonna ask...

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I got on guy

i took mine off and havent had a problem with cops. they dont even look at me. never been pulled over in my life.

in my sig i have it on and i have bowtie frames.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by seawolf18
South Dakota
Iowa
Minnesota
North Dakota

Require front plates
Virginia also requires it. I know I've been warned many times for it. Heres what i dont get though. I see vettes and trans ams sold without any plates on the front. Shouldnt the dealers be putting plates on these cars? Personally I hate front plates they serve no purpose really. If someone wants to write down your plate number chances are you'd be driving away from them. If your not then they can pull over and wait for you to pass if they are so worried about getting your plates. They are very strict on it here for some reason. Maybe because I live in a large but very quiet town with lots of bored useless cops.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had my car for 2 years now still no front plate
:knocks on wood:
Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really don't want to put a front plate on believe me. The only reason I'm going to is becasue I didn't have one on my other car and I was repeatdly pulled over for it. I never got a ticket, but I don't want to deal with the cops at all.

So I guess its boiled down to me getting a stock grill and keeping the slp one for when ever I want to show the car. So if anyone has a stock grill they want to possibly give away for free or sell real cheap, please pm with.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving in NY I am sure is different, I have not been pulled over in 2 years for the front plate (lack of) but I got a parking ticket with it. That cost me 80 bucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I got a ton of tickets for no front plate in my old Z28. They dish them out a lot in Jersey.
I live in Jersey too. The way around running no front plate at least according to a Jersey cop is if there is no place to mount a plate, then it is not required. Not all cars come with a front plate mounting place.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

where i live.. 90% of the times.. cops keep to themselves.. i dont have my front plate on.. cuz i think it looks bad.. i got pulled over at 3 am one night.. for going 65 in a 65.. (weird right?) it turned out that my rear plate light was out.. and upon looking at my inspect.. he noticed i had no front plate. to make my rambling short.. he wrote me a ticked for the bulb (rather than just warning me.. now i have to miss a day of work) and said "fix the bulb, put the plate on, and appeal the ticket" so.. when the court date comes.. ima put the plate on.. get the ticket waved.. and probably take the plate back off...... yep
Old 11-02-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I drove to SoCal and back with my plate filler on, no problem. Then I went down to the T/A nationals a month later and a Columbus city cop on the interstate pulled me over when I wasn't speeding or anything else. He wrote me up for failure to display tag $100 fine. He was a real Barny Fifthe one bullet, fist ******* *** type cop.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blue02formula
I drove to SoCal and back with my plate filler on, no problem. Then I went down to the T/A nationals a month later and a Columbus city cop on the interstate pulled me over when I wasn't speeding or anything else. He wrote me up for failure to display tag $100 fine. He was a real Barny Fifthe one bullet, fist ******* *** type cop.
City pigs in C-bus are *******. i was up there tonight and got pulled over for 37 in a 35..........
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

They require one here in Nebraska. The gate guard at Offutt AFB dinged me for not having a plate on the front. I have to get on base to get my pills so I had to put one on.

I removed the plastic grill insert already and there's that nice little flat spot to put a plate. A previous owner had affixed a plate to the front with loooooong screws and there was already two screw holes in the right place.

I put a slight bend in the plate to match the angle on the grill area, and backed it with 1/2" foam tape (the kind used for camper shells) around the back outside perimeter. This mod kept the plate off the paint. A total of four screws and it's done. It's a clean install and has kept itself well enough.

Quick Reply: Front license plates