General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plates

I've searched the topic and it looks like its been beaten pretty good but I'm still gonna ask because on my last car, a 92 AWD talon, in 17 months of owning that car I never had a plate on it but I was pulled over about 7 times for it. I only got a written warning once and verbal warnings the rest of the times.

The camaro im buying is from TN where they don't require front plates but the state I'm getting the car registerted in is MO, I'm not currently living there but I'm moving back in less than 2 months. My question is how many other f-body owners live in states with front plates? If you live in a state with front plates do you have them on the front of the car or not and just risk getting a ticket? If you have them on the car how did you incorporate it into the front without making it look like crap and making it stand out?

I personally don't like the look of the front with the plate on it and I'm trying to decide on what to do without making it look horrible.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt have the front plate on for a long time, but one day while putting gas in it a state cop pulled in and asked me where it was and gave me a warning for it. i decided to put it on after that.

there isnt a whole lot you can do to make it look better so i just deal with it being on there.
some people can get away with putting it on the air dam, but if the cop wanted to, could probably still give you a ticket.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

I live in TX and we are supposed to have a plate on the front, but I don't run one and I have had my car 6 months with no trouble from the law (knock on wood). An older guy where i work has an SS with his plate behind his billet grille. That's the cleanest I have seen.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In NY we are supposed to have one, i just leave it in the backseat and when a cop is coming i throw it in the windshield area. Looks dumb on the front of bird.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was running my plate in my windshield on my last car, got pulled over a couple times after a month or so (small town) used the broken bracket excuse and ended up putting it back on the front. I plan on ditching the plate once I get a new grille and seeing how long I get away with it, if they catch Me I will probably run the SLP Plate Bracket that mounts under the nose of your car so the grille is visible, I think it looks better than right in the center of your grille and you can't get crap for it.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Renegade
I was running my plate in my windshield on my last car, got pulled over a couple times after a month or so (small town) used the broken bracket excuse and ended up putting it back on the front. I plan on ditching the plate once I get a new grille and seeing how long I get away with it, if they catch Me I will probably run the SLP Plate Bracket that mounts under the nose of your car so the grille is visible, I think it looks better than right in the center of your grille and you can't get crap for it.
I'm considering getting the SLP plate bracket but I havn't seen any pictures of anyone elses car with it on it. I was just wanting to get an idea of how it would look and if its worth the money.
SO if anyone has pics wht that backet on their car please post them for me
Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First on my 94 Camaro, now on my 2000 Bird, I haven't run a front plate form 9 years now. Been pulled over about 5 times in my Camaro, not one cop said a thing. Never pulled over in my Bird, but I keep the plate under my front seat so I can launch it into the window if I get pulled over like somebody else previously stated. Guess it just depends on the cop.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Im from MO and the police dont like people to not have a front plate on but I'd say most of the time you wont get a ticket for it. I have gotten 1 ticket for it and I havent had mine on the for the last year I have had the car. The only reason the that I think I got that one was because I was doing 9mph over in a speed trap and they couldnt get me for anything else.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I left it off my WS6 for about 4 years. Only time I ever had an issue was at one of those DUI check points, a cop gave me a written warning. They almost always act hard asses at the check points, not sure why? Anyway, in all the other times I was pulled over, never once was the missing front plate an issue.

On my Camaro I'm running the front plate. When I bought the car, the holes were already in the grille and to me it looked silly with exposed holes but no bracket, so rather than getting a new grille I just put the bracket back on.....

It looks a little better if you have some kind of custom/vanity plate. If it's just standard issue, then it looks worse, IMO.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Launching!

Never had any problems with it (in OH, here in SC I don't need one). For the most part, if the cop is in front of you, they'll generally assume that you're from out of state, behind you, and well... they can't see the front. Keep it in the glove box or under the seat and say you ordered the bracket...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

South Dakota
Iowa
Minnesota
North Dakota

Require front plates
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

I've had the billet grille for over two years (took the front plate off) and have not had a problem. I think I've only put 10k miles on the car though.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Teching In

I bought my 99 WS6 this spring and i had owned it about a month and a cop that passed by whipped his car around and pulled me over just for not having a front plate! he asked where it was and i told him i just bought the car a month ago and it was at home. when he asked why it was at home i told him i couldnt find the holes to mount it on the front of the car (car had front plate cover on it) and i bougth it that was so i didnt think it was illegal (even tho i knew it was) and he wrote me a ticket anyway. the ticket was $102 here in Rochester Minnesota
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i live in cali and your supposed to have plates on but i've owned camaro's for 4 years and i've never had a front plate on any of them and never gotten a ticket or warning. the only time here a cop will ask about you front plate is when your tearing *** near him or your tint is past the legal limit, you pretty much have to be breaking another law while your driving. an officer of the law needs probable cause to pull a person over in the first place, no front plate is not probable cause. if they do give you a ticket for it their just tryin to meet their monthly quota
Old 07-18-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess in MO no front plate is probable cause because of the 7 times I've been pulled over the only reason that they pulled me over was becasue of no front plate. They always question me, espically at nite, have you had anything do drink, any weapons, routeen questions I guess, but they never have given me any other explinations why they pulled me over. I've never gotten a ticket, only one written warning, but I'm still tired of seeing a cop, knowing I'm not breaking any other laws then getting pulled over anyways. I'd really like to see a pic of someones car with an SLP bracket on it to see how "bad" that looks.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Were supposed to have a front plate here in California, but I have never gotten pulled over for it once. I have heard other people gettin pulled over for it too, but I never hear anything from the law. Knocks on wood: :knock: :knock:
Old 07-19-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

it's all about probable cause, an officer of the peace needs probable cause to pull a vehicle over and no front licence plate is not enough probable cause
Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I left it off my WS6 for about 4 years. Only time I ever had an issue was at one of those DUI check points, a cop gave me a written warning. They almost always act hard asses at the check points, not sure why? Anyway, in all the other times I was pulled over, never once was the missing front plate an issue.

On my Camaro I'm running the front plate. When I bought the car, the holes were already in the grille and to me it looked silly with exposed holes but no bracket, so rather than getting a new grille I just put the bracket back on.....

It looks a little better if you have some kind of custom/vanity plate. If it's just standard issue, then it looks worse, IMO.
Theyre hard asses because they are spending extra money and they have to justify that with results. Results are a certain number of tickets. Makes economic sense.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

UH... not having a front plate is probable cause to be pulled over... Just asked my sister about it over the phone because I was curious (She works for the DA's office in Illinois where they do require a front plate!).
Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

i was in a Criminal Justice course in high school and our teacher was a policer officer and we talked about this subject. probable cause is a suspicious act or actions of an individual, so a no front plate is NOT probable cause . . . . . but maybe the laws are different in illinois, your state is closer to the inbred states so many some of your cops and sleeping with their brothers and sisters

now speeding or reckless driving is probable cause to pull someone over, but no front plate isn't.

Last edited by 2000HTSS; 07-19-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Front license plates