General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Front license plates

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i was in a Criminal Justice course in high school and our teacher was a policer officer and we talked about this subject. probable cause is a suspicious act or actions of an individual, so a no front plate is NOT probable cause . . . . . but maybe the laws are different in illinois, your state is closer to the inbred states so many some of your cops and sleeping with their brothers and sisters

now speeding or reckless driving is probable cause to pull someone over, but no front plate isn't.
Probable cause or not, just don't give them a reason to pull you over, PERIOD.
What if you've had a couple of beers and they pull you over, so I'm not even going there again!!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tirefryer
I live in Jersey too. The way around running no front plate at least according to a Jersey cop is if there is no place to mount a plate, then it is not required. Not all cars come with a front plate mounting place.

I'm going to have to see if I can confirm a law on that or something because that's freaking awesome!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never have had a front plate on my car and have been fine knock on wood
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Cops have pulled me over but have always let me slide. Now parking enforcement is a different story. I woke up on a sunday morning to find a ticket for 40 dollars on my windshield. He or she issued the ticket at 1:30 in the morning.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

i don't run with mine either. i leave it in the back with a screwdriver just in case. my brother in-law is a cop and he always hassles me about it. a friend of mine is a cop as well, he gives me crap about it too. generally, he say's cops won't pull you over just for that, unless they get you for something else. by the way, my brother in-law asked to drive my hawk, he said it was the fastest car he'd driven, even the camaro patrol car he drove wasn't that quick. gotta love it when a cop likes your car.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen guys mount the front tag to the airdam. technically it is there on the front of the car.... I'm lucky. I live in a state that does not require a front tag. I'd just risk getting tickets if I did. The front of an Fbody with a plate on it looks like *** IMHO.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Launching!

i've been pulled over once. just be polite and you will be fine. they usually use it as an excuse to try and find other, bigger things to write you for
Old 11-05-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

you can still get a ticket if its in the windshield, as someone said

also the air damn is also illegal, since the plate has to be visiable from so far away (at least in ohio)

hell, even the CLEAR license plate covers that you buy are illegal, read the back, they say "for off road use only"....only reason i know that is because my friend got a warning for one....course he was screwing around intown

i hate living in a small town
Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

oh and I guess the only reason I run one is b/c i'm the only black TA in the county
illegal window tint
and that MS3 cam makes my car damn loud
my spec 5 clutch squeals like i'm spining the tires when i take off

so i figure if i can get away with that, i'll try the plate for awhile

rumor is for ohio its going away in a few years
Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

this is what i did. when i purchased my 2000 ws-6 the plate cover was missing. this really alters the profile of the car. no good. so i purchased the cover. when i installed the cover i used some velcro. if i remember right theres two taps that insert on the cover. so with the velcro, its on real good. best part is that when you remove the cover, the plates right there. so if i do get hassled for no front plate, i just say i forgot to take the cover off. seems like a good idea.........
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

I live in Virginia and I just leave my front plate on, cause i dont want to get pulled and have them find out about my ORY or cutout or lt headers
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BanditTA
In NY we are supposed to have one, i just leave it in the backseat and when a cop is coming i throw it in the windshield area. Looks dumb on the front of bird.
Well sorry to tell you it's not legal there either. It is supposed to be on the front license plate mount
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

They really don't need probable cause to pull you over for that. Depends on the state I guess but if its something thats required they can pull you over, just as if you had expired registration. Depends on if not running the required plates is a primary offense or not. It will vary. Take seatbelt laws for example. Here in PA you have to wear one by law, but it's not a primary offense so unless you get pulled over for something else they can't ticket you for the seatbelt. However, in Delaware, it is a primary offense, and state troopers will just stand on the side of the road when theres alot of traffic and look for people who are not wearing theirs and ticket them. All depends on what the license plate thing is classified as in your state.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

In ca its required but just keep the extra plate in the car and if you get pulled over show the cop and say I've been meaning to do that officer, I'll get that plate on right away. and off you go.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

My front license plate is on my air dam.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad PA doesn't require a front plate, if they did with my Imp SS i'd probably just zip tie it to the lower grill or something.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CavPat
My front license plate is on my air dam.
Anyone have any pics of this? Also, how did you go about mounting it to the air dam? Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Anyone have any pics of this? Also, how did you go about mounting it to the air dam? Thanks

I don't have pics but you just climb under there and screw it to the air dam
Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the car not coming with a front plate bracket, typically one will be put on at the dealer if it's in a state where it requires it. For example, a buddy of mine who lives in Delaware (does not require front plates) was looking for a new Imp SS. Found one he liked but it was in Maryland (does require front plates) and they already had the front bracket mounted on there, so now he's stuck with it since he doesn't want to have holes up there. So unless you got the car out of state I dunno that you could use the no bracket excuse cause they could just tell you to put one on. I mean if that is a valid excuse thats sweet then. But in the end here in PA i'm not worried.

Quick Reply: Front license plates