General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What size cam with mid length headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size cam with mid length headers?

I've decided that i'm gonna get middies on my car so i'm starting to look into getting a cam. Could someone please give me some suggestions on what a good choice would be? I'm not wanting to go too crazy cuz i've heard that too big a cam with too small headers=bad.

My mods now are: Lid, GMMG Catback, and the SLP pulley.

My goal is high 11's to mid12's
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

its not that mids are "bad" for a large cam, it just wont flow as well as a LT setup... or atleast thats common belief, but ive read a few times that mid's can acheive the same power as long tubes in some cases...

there really is no "right" cam for mid length headers, just do ALOT, and i mean ALOT of research before getting a cam.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NBMgreg
or atleast thats common belief, but ive read a few times that mid's can acheive the same power as long tubes in some cases...
yea, if you can rev to 9 grand.

mids don't work well for our engines for the same reason shorties don't work well for our engines: we can't rev high enough. the objective of headers is scavenging more than flow and in order for shorties and mids to scavenge, you have to rev VERY high. pushrod engines can't saftely rev that high. longtubes should be your ONLY choice. mids are prehistoric. save your money and go longtubes. ****, pacesetters are even cheaper than macs!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

mac mids,off road y(no cats),magnaflow catback with 228/236,588/578 114 custom comp 420 rwhp and 380tq,head work and all bolts ons.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yea, if you can rev to 9 grand.

mids don't work well for our engines for the same reason shorties don't work well for our engines: we can't rev high enough. the objective of headers is scavenging more than flow and in order for shorties and mids to scavenge, you have to rev VERY high. pushrod engines can't saftely rev that high. longtubes should be your ONLY choice. mids are prehistoric. save your money and go longtubes. ****, pacesetters are even cheaper than macs!

come on, not this guy again.... what headers do you run??
Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This guy hppens to be right, so it matters not what headers they run.

Physics is well, physics and even the mighty LS1 must abide by it.

CA - get CARB shorties

Anywhere else - Long tubes

To make the most of mids you need high revs to make the most of scavenging (LT's scavenge in a lower rpm band). The primaries of mids will flow fine however for big power on a LS1 3" collectors are a minimal requirement and I don't think the mids have collectors of this size.

Good power can be seen with mids, but there is more potential with Lt's.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
This guy hppens to be right, so it matters not what headers they run.

Physics is well, physics and even the mighty LS1 must abide by it.

CA - get CARB shorties

Anywhere else - Long tubes

To make the most of mids you need high revs to make the most of scavenging (LT's scavenge in a lower rpm band). The primaries of mids will flow fine however for big power on a LS1 3" collectors are a minimal requirement and I don't think the mids have collectors of this size.

Good power can be seen with mids, but there is more potential with Lt's.
thank you, sir. why do people accuse you of being wrong when they have no clue themselves? you don't need to have a mod to know what it does and how it works! there are plenty of people out there running headers that are clueless to what they do and how they work. no offense HD but c'mon
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get a cam with a lot more exhaust duration than intake. No reverse split cams. a 224/228 cam would great. You need more exhaust duration to give the ehxaust a little extra time to get out. Macs are fine.

And scavenging occurs at lower rpm's, DEE DEE DEE
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
And scavenging occurs at lower rpm's, DEE DEE DEE
yes, with longtubes they do because they're long enough to allow low rpm scavenging. with mids, there is very little low rpm scavenging and with shorties low rpm scavenging is almost non-existant. mids scavene much later in the powerband than LT's and LT's is a better choice - only point i'm trying to make. longtubes make more power because they scavenge sooner and better, not because they outflow mids or even shorties for that matter. the outflowing is a misconception and most people really don't know why LT's make more power. it ain't flow, bro
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

yes, with longtubes they do because they're long enough to allow low rpm scavenging. with mids, there is very little low rpm scavenging and with shorties low rpm scavenging is almost non-existant. mids scavene much later in the powerband than LT's and LT's is a better choice - only point i'm trying to make. longtubes make more power because they scavenge sooner and better, not because they outflow mids or even shorties for that matter. the outflowing is a misconception and most people really don't know why LT's make more power. it ain't flow, bro
Nice user title.

So if you know this, then riddle me this. . . why do top fuel cars not have collectors? they spin at like 9k, shouldnt they have shorties? you should contact the NHRA asap and let them know that they have been doing it all wrong

Last edited by camaroextra; 07-20-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

HAHA LOL, thank you...
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Import Patrol

I run mac midlengths with a t-rex cam.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Nice user title.

So if you know this, then riddle me this. . . why do top fuel cars not have collectors? they spin at like 9k, shouldnt they have shorties? you should contact the NHRA asap and let them know that they have been doing it all wrong
what in the hell are you talking about? all i ever said was that LT's scavenge better and sooner than mids and shorties. in order to achieve the scavenging effects of LT's, mids have to be revved higher and shorties even higher than that. i said nothing wrong, it's all correct. 300bhp/ton already verified me.

and there's a reason why i have the user title. i egged it on on purpose, it has nothing to do with my posts. read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/user-support-resources/542322-title-help-please.html

Originally Posted by HD1911
HAHA LOL, thank you...
and you. you already showed your complete lack of knowledge above and so please, kindly back away from this argument. don't hit your head on the way out the door. i was nice about it the first time. now you're just trolling.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

just trolling??? haha, i dont argue with morons. you are sold on your beliefs and that is cool with me...but dont be soo ignorant about it. You have been in-doctrinated into beleiving long-tubes are the only answer and that everything else is inferior. You know what, i have no doubt Longtubes are Better!!...but i think Mac's are a great header that flow extremely well and will not really hold any power back. yet i have noticed everytime there is a post about Mac's you jump right in and try to sound like you know what you are talking about. Please calm down a little bit, go suck on your moms nipple, and go buy yourself a pair of headers for that purple car

Last edited by HD1911; 07-20-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Resident

just trolling??? haha, i dont argue with morons. you are sold on your beliefs and that is cool with me...but dont be soo ignorant about it. You have been in-doctrinated into beleiving long-tubes are the only answer and that everything else is inferior. You know what, i have no doubt Longtubes are Better!!...but i think Mac's are a great header that flow extremely well and will not really hold any power back. yet i have noticed everytime there is a post about Mac's you jump right in and try to sound like you know what you are talking about. Please calm down a little bit, go suck on your moms nipple, and go buy yourself a pair of headers for that purple car
oh, you're right. wait...wow, i never said macs were a bad header! how can that be? you said i did!

you say i "have been in-doctrinated into beleiving long-tubes are the only answer and that everything else is inferior". umm...yea buddy, everything else IS inferior.

all i said was that LT's were superior and should be the only option for the LS1. shorties in california, LT's everywhere else. this is common knowledge. it's been said hundreds of times by hundreds of members. if you want to argue that, be my guest. it doesn't change the fact that you would be wrong.

these headers are not about flow. theoretically, a long tube will not flow any better than even shorties if the collectors are the same size and let in the same amount of air. they just SCAVENGE BETTER. macs do NOT have the scavenging long tubes have, which is the whole damn purpose of a header - to scavenge!

i don't know what i'm talking about? i know exactly what i'm talking about. it's already been verified. you have no idea what you're talking about. that's why nearly every time i see you post in a forum, you ask a question, not give an answer. you obviously don't know a whole lot. i'm not saying i'm some genius, but i know i got you beat.

purple car, haha. i see you've never seen these cars in person. it's a pretty popular color, you should watch what you say. i notice you don't even have a pic of your car up. what is it, pink or lime green?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

224/224 or a 228/228
Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

oh, you're right. wait...wow, i never said macs were a bad header! how can that be? you said i did!

you say i "have been in-doctrinated into beleiving long-tubes are the only answer and that everything else is inferior". umm...yea buddy, everything else IS inferior.

all i said was that LT's were superior and should be the only option for the LS1. shorties in california, LT's everywhere else. this is common knowledge. it's been said hundreds of times by hundreds of members. if you want to argue that, be my guest. it doesn't change the fact that you would be wrong.

these headers are not about flow. theoretically, a long tube will not flow any better than even shorties if the collectors are the same size and let in the same amount of air. they just SCAVENGE BETTER. macs do NOT have the scavenging long tubes have, which is the whole damn purpose of a header - to scavenge!

i don't know what i'm talking about? i know exactly what i'm talking about. it's already been verified. you have no idea what you're talking about. that's why nearly every time i see you post in a forum, you ask a question, not give an answer. you obviously don't know a whole lot. i'm not saying i'm some genius, but i know i got you beat.

purple car, haha. i see you've never seen these cars in person. it's a pretty popular color, you should watch what you say. i notice you don't even have a pic of your car up. what is it, pink or lime green?
You got me beat??....haha, it shows the mental capacity you have...or lack thereof. Lemme guess, you are in high school and you are trying to be tuff right now. Trust me, i am not interested in this kiddie bullshit. If you go back up top and read the original post, Optimus Prime wanted to know what cam to use with middies. That means he already has his mind made up. He did not ask for your opinion on, "what is better about longtubes and macs arent as good, etc." You were the 2nd reply to his topic and didnt help him in any way. That is why i said, "come on..not this guy again." Everyone on here has seen a trend in you posting up worthless **** at the wrong time and in the wrong place. My beef with you is, dont come to someone elses post again just to get attention. You have already shown what kind of person you are...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542322 you even mention in that link that "any attention is good attention" (read post #26). I mean come on, really. Just give it up, end this garbage. And let other guys tell Optimus Prime what cam would be good with his middies. have a good one
Old 07-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Resident

You got me beat??....haha, it shows the mental capacity you have...or lack thereof. Lemme guess, you are in high school and you are trying to be tuff right now. Trust me, i am not interested in this kiddie bullshit. If you go back up top and read the original post, Optimus Prime wanted to know what cam to use with middies. That means he already has his mind made up. He did not ask for your opinion on, "what is better about longtubes and macs arent as good, etc." You were the 2nd reply to his topic and didnt help him in any way. That is why i said, "come on..not this guy again." Everyone on here has seen a trend in you posting up worthless **** at the wrong time and in the wrong place. My beef with you is, dont come to someone elses post again just to get attention. You have already shown what kind of person you are...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542322 you even mention in that link that "any attention is good attention" (read post #26). I mean come on, really. Just give it up, end this garbage. And let other guys tell Optimus Prime what cam would be good with his middies. have a good one
this guy is planning on getting mids, meaning he hasn't yet. this still gives me time to stop him from making a $700 mistake. nowhere in my post did i say mids don't make power. you'll get a whole lot more with LT's though - for the same price. pacesetters will last just as long, cost the same amount of money, have a similar install procedure and net him much bigger gains. i'm trying to, along with several others in this thread, stray him away from mids. longtubes should be his only option, macs should be out.

i don't think the thread starter knows why he should get longtubs and i'm trying to educate him on the subject. maybe you don't realize this, but getting mids is a mistake. there is NO REASON to get them. there is no benefit except maybe an hour off install time. believe it or not, sometimes you SHOULD try to change someone's mind, even if they already have it made up. he is making a mistake by wanting mids and i'm trying to save him a mistake. lots of mistakes are made in car modding. this is one of them. maybe you don't care about the thread starter's poor use of cash but i do and i'm gonna try my damndest to change his mind. even if he thinks he has it made up, he hasn't made a decision til he clicks BUY and from what he's stated, he hasn't yet.

i'm trying to help. i'm trying to keep a mistake from happening. what are you doing? just trolling.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

this guy is planning on getting mids, meaning he hasn't yet. this still gives me time to stop him from making a $700 mistake. nowhere in my post did i say mids don't make power. you'll get a whole lot more with LT's though - for the same price. pacesetters will last just as long, cost the same amount of money, have a similar install procedure and net him much bigger gains. i'm trying to, along with several others in this thread, stray him away from mids. longtubes should be his only option, macs should be out.

i don't think the thread starter knows why he should get longtubs and i'm trying to educate him on the subject. maybe you don't realize this, but getting mids is a mistake. there is NO REASON to get them. there is no benefit except maybe an hour off install time. believe it or not, sometimes you SHOULD try to change someone's mind, even if they already have it made up. he is making a mistake by wanting mids and i'm trying to save him a mistake. lots of mistakes are made in car modding. this is one of them. maybe you don't care about the thread starter's poor use of cash but i do and i'm gonna try my damndest to change his mind. even if he thinks he has it made up, he hasn't made a decision til he clicks BUY and from what he's stated, he hasn't yet.

i'm trying to help. i'm trying to keep a mistake from happening. what are you doing? just trolling.
OK Mod ****. I see what you're saying with the LT's making more power. That is common knowledge, but you need to get off of this kick you're on about educating people.

Who are you to say that there is NO reason to buy mid lengths? He doesnt want LT's, theres a reason. And who are you to tell him its a mistake? If he gets the power he wants out of his car and makes the passes and he feels it was money well spent, then it wasnt a mistake.

I'll say it again, sometimes you give good advice, but you come off as a complete and total douche bag doing it.

Quit all this **** about telling people how it is, start suggesting ****. Pass along the research and threads you've read telling them about LT's because its obvious thats all you've got to go off of. You dont have headers, you just know what you read. Instead of coming off like a total **** sucker, just point him in the general direction of where he can do some reading and let him come to his own conclusion. If this was a thread that say, what are better, mid lengths or LT's it would be one thing, but this thread is what cam works best with mid lengths.

Now give the man his thread back and let him figure out what cam he wants to buy.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Ground clearance is a great reason to buy mids, you can put them in a SLAMMED car and be fine