General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Deal or No Deal...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal or No Deal...?

I am looking at a 00' SS Camaro. It is pewter in color, 53K miles. It has all options except T-Tops, and the guy is asking $13,500 for it. Is this a reasonable price, or should I suggest less?

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails Deal or No Deal...?-camaro.jpg  
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Launching!

www.kbb.com
Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that seems like a pretty good price, i would still try to talk them down just make sure you get them to the lowest possible price....

car salesmen are all shaddy and will try to screw you so be carefull.

good luck with the car! let us know if you get it
Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by logo_craig
that seems like a pretty good price, i would still try to talk them down just make sure you get them to the lowest possible price....

car salesmen are all shaddy and will try to screw you so be carefull.

good luck with the car! let us know if you get it
I hate that crap. I used to work for ford as a sales rep. I had to eat to. Are you shady because you work at wal-mart and sell $.10 toothbrushes made in china for $2.75 to Americans? No, its called MAKING A LIVING! Now if I were to have sold a BROKEN car, THEN I would be shady. If the customer likes the car, and likes the price (they must if they bought it.) then whats the issue? If you want to talk about theivery, look to the service debt. THAT is the problem with dealerships. Otherwise, its just people trying to make a living.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I was planning on trying to talk him down a bit anyways, because the KBB and Edmunds private seller value on it is a bit lower than $13,500. They are giving me about $13000-13200. I will try to start with $13000 and see where that takes me. I was just making sure it sounded okay to all of you who have more experience in this than me.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skilbourn
Thanks for the info. I was planning on trying to talk him down a bit anyways, because the KBB and Edmunds private seller value on it is a bit lower than $13,500. They are giving me about $13000-13200. I will try to start with $13000 and see where that takes me. I was just making sure it sounded okay to all of you who have more experience in this than me.

Find EVERYTHING WRONG WITH IT! and offer him 11,500 citing the problems you will spend $$ on to fix (new tires? Thats 1K....). He will give some, you will give some. You will end up somewhere in the middle, skewed high, or low, depending on where your negotiation skills stack up.

The guy I bought the 5.0 from in my sig (radically different looking by now) asked 3500 for it. I spend a total of 5 minutes telling him everything that is wrong with it fro msitting for a year. I got the car for 1K. That is ATYPICAL and wont work on this car, im just saying, what he is asking is more than he will take for it. Guaranteed. Noone expects someone to go "ok, ill pay your price" They EXPECT to be taken down a little. And price accordingly to their expectation.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Find EVERYTHING WRONG WITH IT! and offer him 11,500 citing the problems you will spend $$ on to fix (new tires? Thats 1K....). He will give some, you will give some. You will end up somewhere in the middle, skewed high, or low, depending on where your negotiation skills stack up.

The guy I bought the 5.0 from in my sig (radically different looking by now) asked 3500 for it. I spend a total of 5 minutes telling him everything that is wrong with it fro msitting for a year. I got the car for 1K. That is ATYPICAL and wont work on this car, im just saying, what he is asking is more than he will take for it. Guaranteed. Noone expects someone to go "ok, ill pay your price" They EXPECT to be taken down a little. And price accordingly to their expectation.
Thanks, will definitely take that into consideration. I am taking a friend who is a mechanic with me so that he can help point out these types of things...
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate that crap. I used to work for ford as a sales rep. I had to eat to. Are you shady because you work at wal-mart and sell $.10 toothbrushes made in china for $2.75 to Americans? No, its called MAKING A LIVING! Now if I were to have sold a BROKEN car, THEN I would be shady. If the customer likes the car, and likes the price (they must if they bought it.) then whats the issue? If you want to talk about theivery, look to the service debt. THAT is the problem with dealerships. Otherwise, its just people trying to make a living.

HAHA i should have known that i was gonna get a car salesman pissed off, and frankly i dont care, ya i know that you have to make a living and eat too.. but unless you were one of the few that didnt try to screw every single person that stepped on the lot over, (if you were that person then ) , then i dont care b/c 99% of the salesmen will tell you whatever it is that you want to hear! no matter if its the truth or not.

thats why i told him to be careful!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

HAHA i should have known that i was gonna get a car salesman pissed off, and frankly i dont care, ya i know that you have to make a living and eat too.. but unless you were one of the few that didnt try to screw every single person that stepped on the lot over, (if you were that person then ) , then i dont care b/c 99% of the salesmen will tell you whatever it is that you want to hear! no matter if its the truth or not.

thats why i told him to be careful!

I never knowingly lied about a vehicle to a customer. One even asked me about an 05 GT "my cousin has an LS1 WS6, will this car beat him?" I told him it would be a driver's race for sure, but TECHINCALLY the WS6 will put a LITTLE more hp down (280vs 300 to the tires stock). I did apply pressure "we might not have this tomorrow" ect. but I never sold anyone something that I had lied about such as "yeah, its never been wrecked" when it arrived and went straight to the body shop or something. I mean, my dad's gf bought a car from me and I checked the carfax and EVERYTHING, later we found out a fender had been re-painted. was NOT on the carfax...not my fault, im not God, i dont know the hirstories of all vehicles.

Yes, there are car sales reps who talk out their *** and lie about specs and EVERYTHING. I never once did that. If a F250 customer wanted to tow something too heavy for the truck, I would tell him so. etc. (Factory ratings ARE under what it WILL tow though, so I told him factory spec and THEN told him of other customer's PERSONAL experiences and let them judge for themselves.)

I sold more cars through honesty than I ever would have being an *******, and every one of my customers were very nice (except the ones Finance pissed off...cant help that). I have lots of them come up to me at Wal-mart, ect. asking how college is going. I run across them often and have never hear an ill word from them.

ONe gave me her daughter's # (we dated for a month or so, I think it was a gold-digger attempt kinda) and another made some bananna bread for me. Another found me my mustang GT and another let me look at his 850hp 392 NA motor that he runs in his dirttrack cars. (motor sounded OBSCENE)

EDIT:

My dealership had a lot of employees like me, very christian place to be honest (at least in teh sales room as far as lying/customer relations went, F&I were still asses and service dept. was not that great...but our sales force was top notch and with 1 or 2 exceptions we all dealt straight (a few sales ppl were just asses, they got themselves fired soon). I have visited other dealerships. Mine was very unique. I would say +100 to be careful. Not everyone out there gives a **** about anything but $$!!!! I was one of the few sales people who would pass out my personal cell # to my customers and tell them its on 24/7 (it was). I never got a call from anyone but 1 guy who invited me to join the local mustang club and another who found my 5.0 for me and as we all know...if they dont call you, its NOT a bad thing, angry people call.

EDIT: for those of you who know me, it has been about 1 year since I have worked there and a LOT of personel changes have taken place, the above may be 180* from how things are now, I dont know.

Last edited by Stanger88; 09-14-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Gotta Defend My Former Profession!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never knowingly lied about a vehicle to a customer. One even asked me about an 05 GT "my cousin has an LS1 WS6, will this car beat him?" I told him it would be a driver's race for sure, but TECHINCALLY the WS6 will put a LITTLE more hp down (280vs 300 to the tires stock). I did apply pressure "we might not have this tomorrow" ect. but I never sold anyone something that I had lied about such as "yeah, its never been wrecked" when it arrived and went straight to the body shop or something. I mean, my dad's gf bought a car from me and I checked the carfax and EVERYTHING, later we found out a fender had been re-painted. was NOT on the carfax...not my fault, im not God, i dont know the hirstories of all vehicles.

Yes, there are car sales reps who talk out their *** and lie about specs and EVERYTHING. I never once did that. If a F250 customer wanted to tow something too heavy for the truck, I would tell him so. etc. (Factory ratings ARE under what it WILL tow though, so I told him factory spec and THEN told him of other customer's PERSONAL experiences and let them judge for themselves.)

I sold more cars through honesty than I ever would have being an *******, and every one of my customers were very nice (except the ones Finance pissed off...cant help that). I have lots of them come up to me at Wal-mart, ect. asking how college is going. I run across them often and have never hear an ill word from them.

Good, i know there are some good salesmen, but i know from experience that most salesmen will try to screw you over..maybe its cause im 19 and they think im stupid or something.

before i bought my car i was looking at a 98 Z28 with 70k miles for like $14,500. i asked him if he was serious and if he thought i was a dumbass or something and he said well thats the bottom dollar on this car, he said do you know what kinda engine is in this...and i laughed and said i know more about this car then you do, thats why i know this car is way overpriced....then i laughed at him and walked out of his office!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

naa thats bullshit.

i dont want to pay for you to eat.

the dealership should be compensating you well before we try to negotiate on prices and maybe be giving you a bonus if you get over a certain percentage. especially when theres the possibility of a lower ad price and you can plainly look up a retail/trade value blue book.

yet they can find it feasible to give you the bottom dollar for your trades....

you and the dealer are MAKING MONEY.. you know your bottom line. if they wanna make the sale they'll work with you.. if they cant do it, they wont.

when i try to negotiate on a car, the LAST thing i'm thinking about is you making a living. i look out for number one before number two.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Rough crowd.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Finite1
naa thats bullshit.

i dont want to pay for you to eat.

the dealership should be compensating you well before we try to negotiate on prices and maybe be giving you a bonus if you get over a certain percentage. especially when theres the possibility of a lower ad price and you can plainly look up a retail/trade value blue book.

yet they can find it feasible to give you the bottom dollar for your trades....

you and the dealer are MAKING MONEY.. you know your bottom line. if they wanna make the sale they'll work with you.. if they cant do it, they wont.

when i try to negotiate on a car, the LAST thing i'm thinking about is you making a living. i look out for number one before number two.

haha

Food Chain:

rich people
regular working people
F-bodys
dogs
cats
car salesmen

Old 09-14-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mind if I ask you your profession of choice?

haha

Food Chain:

rich people
regular working people
F-bodys
dogs
cats
car salesmen

Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

Trust... Clean out your Pm box! You've got mail! ~Joshua
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Trust... Clean out your Pm box! You've got mail! ~Joshua
Oops! Done!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trust
Mind if I ask you your profession of choice?
yeah, i work at a bank...

why are you getting so defensive about your OLD job?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

haha

Food Chain:

rich people
regular working people
F-bodys
dogs
cats
car salesmen

hahaha, damn you are goin to hear it from all the people that can't take a joke!!

Hey Stanger,
why do you always feel the need to defend car salesman? Nobody ever said, "Stanger88 is horrible, shady car salesman", yet you still feel the need to come in here and post an essay on how car salesman aren't shady people. Nobody cares! haha, your not even a salesman (or 'sales rep' haha) anymore, why do you care??
It is always good advice to tell someone to be careful at a car dealership, no matter who comes in hear trying to defend the 'sales reps'.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Default I picked up the Camaro

After visiting the seller with my mechanic friend and determining that the car was indeed in the "mint condition" that the owner claimed, I bought the car for his asking price. I am now the proud owner of an LS1 00' Camaro SS M6. The only thing I will have to buy for it is tires, because the car has a set of crappy Kumos on it. I was looking online for tires, and it seems that the best bet for my car would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. They have good reviews and good performance records. Has anyone ever heard anything about these one way or the other??