General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Muscle Cars....Nitrous?? 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle Cars....Nitrous?? 69 Camaro

Well im not really sure where to post this so MODS feel free to move at will!

Little Background, I am currently looking at a 69 Camaro SS and im really looking forward to rebuilding this car with my dad (he had one back when he was young and talks about the car ALL THE TIME and how much he hated selling it because him and my mom needed the money to build our house) So I have been spending a lot of time and figured i want to build one together and see him proud of me and also Happy seeing the car progress like his was.

Well we have a 66' Stang 289, 4speed. ECT and he likes it a lot but i know his heart is still with the Camaros. Well I found one but i need a LOT of help guys as far as background info. My dad's had a BUILT 302 but i thought they come with 350's? Anyways My plan is to rebuild the car completely (i didnt buy my 04 Cobra so the money for that is going towards this car!) However my main area is the engine. I want to make a lot of HP so that i can kick my cuz's *** (has an 03 cobra). So i want to pull the 350, have my engine builder bore/hone/blueprint everything and go with Fully Forged 383 Stroker. Large Cam (not huge but still a good lope), Nice aluminum Heads or have stockers ported. Also plan on Spraying but im not sure of the process on Carb engines? If anyone can explain how they tune that because im clueless.

Also please feel free if you think anything i have said or have planed is unreasonable or there are better options please tell me? I have found good Kits with Manhle Rods/ CP Pistons/ for about 3k. If anyone knows a good place to order a good kit from PLEASE let me know. Im not looking to make this a drag car just a good weekend driver but can make 550ish on n2o.

Please help guys i have no idea where to even start researching.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok lots of questions and not really a single answer.

What engine are you planning, you say a 383ci, but as this is LS1tech do you mean a LS1 or an older SBC?

Money and passion will really decide what is the best route to go engine wise. A nice big block 454 can make a lot of HP, but its big, heavy and not that economical. Plus I have no idea on costing compared to an Lsx engine. If it is an LSx engine, then do you already have one? If not there's plenty of choice, personally I would either build up a long block from parts or see is you can find a LS2 from a crashed GTO or something.

TSP offer some nice blocks, 402ci aluminium or 408ci cast iron. These would make great n/a power and still be very driveable and more economical than a BBC. But they would be a modern engine and sound and behave differently to an older unit, so some might say it would take away something from the older car - the choice is yours to make.

Also remember at the level of performance you are looking at you need to plan the whoole package to make the car safe and usable on the street. Tranny, rear end, suspension, chassis upgrades and brakes.

How much nitrous are you thinking of spraying? A built 402ci has the potential to make 500-550rwhp n/a smaller displacements engines will make less. But a typical 346ci LS1 can make 430-450rwhp with a good h/c setup.

There are several carb conversion kits for the LSx engine, Google is probably a good place to start. GM Performance parts offers a kit however.

As for nitrous, well I would recommend having an idea of what kit and level of nitrous you want to run, so you can install it while you build the car. But I personally would get the car up and running FULLY n/a first. And iron out any bugs which occur (they will as they always do). Also it will allow you to run the engine in. Then worry about getting the nitrous working. As essentially it will just involve qa slight retune and possible re-jetting to make it safe.

Research, plan, priorities and set objectives.

For most people the biggest limiting factor is money, so set your budget first (a realistic one), then design the car 100% how you really want it not caring about the budget at present, and REMEMBER to account for every thing, nuts, bolts, gaskets, oils, paint, tune, EVERYTHING.

Price it all up and see if its within your budget or at least how much over budget. You then have to decide to increase the budget or to start looking at areas where you can reduce costs.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Launching!

thank you very much for the info and help! I know im getting in over my head right now but im excited and just am trying to get some info. The suspension,breaks and tranny will all be taken care of. the guy who is building my engine also fixes and builds tranny's so he will take care of that. I will be going with a new rear and something around 3.93's or anything i can find close to that. As far as budget i have about $25 to spend on making the car as MINT as possible. Which shouldnt be hard if i do some good researching and dont get raped on the price.

As far as block i'd like to stay with the SBC 350 block and have that pulled out freshened up and a nice stoker kit installed on rebuild. As far as Nitrous im not looking at anything big maybe 75-100 shot. But that wont be for awhile though.

As far as stoker kits where should i be looking? Any perticular place? Best deals?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not overly familiar with earlier SBC's, I know they can make power but as a rule the Lsx will out perform it hp/cubic inch. Check the sponsors out ---> Must be one that can help. Personally I've always found the guys a Texas Speed & Performance to be very helpful, as are Thunder Racing. Not sure how much they deal with older SBC's though.

If you are wanting to keep period I'd be very tempted to price up a big block such as a 396 or 454ci. It may be a more economical way of getting the power over a Gen 1/2 SBC.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check out the forum section a little ways down the home page as there is a section for Small block and big block chevy engines. They should be able to help you out the most but sounds like your building one sick ride for you and your dad, good luck with it!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id get an LS2 crate engine for $5500
an LS2 in a 69 camaro would be pretty bad..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Ya i wanted to do an LS2, but that takes away from some of the "originallity" or atleast in my opinion. A 383 Stroker with a Good sized cam like MS3 size with nice heads will put down some nice power plus rev to the sky. A little N20 and LOOK OUT
Old 09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a nearly unlimited number of options if you're going to go the gen I SBC route, there's more aftermarket for that motor than any other on the planet----the only limit you'll run into is your budget! You can build a big inch small block (400ci+, there's a local guy around here with a 434ci sbc in a nova) and make a ton of power. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a big inch small block w/forged internals, a nasty solid lifter cam, built th400 tranny and a 9" rear with 3.90 gears. Stick a cheater nitrous plate under the carb for another 100-200hp and you'll have one nasty ride!! Just my $.02