General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Imports

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TransAminal.......get the tittie out of your mouth and grow up a little...I have personally watched Beave and my own son mod these cars. They have had a blast working on their cars the past few years, and have had few problems. My son drives a black SI similar to Beave's (looks bone stock, but runs 11's also) Both love LS1's and they have driven mine and have helped me work on mine anytime I need (have owned three, current one is a '02 WS6) and have never bashed anyone's car except for the slow ones with the stupid big wings. I respect anyone who has a fast car, because I know the work that goes into them. You are right about one thing, they have made their cars fast. I hope my WS6 is that fast one day.
Apparently you have no appreciation for what it takes to do it yourself and do it right. My guess is that you pay someone else to do the mods cause you have no technical skills, and you call a travel club to change your flat tire. Beave is a very skilled and knowledgeable person.Now, I understand the dislike for imports, as I would rather drive my domestics. But to call someone a liar on here is a bit bold, and to that I take offense because I know this guy very well and have seen his car in action......So, if you would like, I'll make you a deal; we are in the Baton Rouge area, I'm not sure where you are from. But, I will split the gas with you if you will drive down here and put your car on the track. Hell you don't even have to do that. If you want to just see it firsthand, I'll pay your way into the track and we'll sit in the stands and drink a beer.........Andy
P.S. Let me know when you need directions.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by snake hunter
I certainly agree that there are a lot of morons out there with the big wings, sound like crap, and run in the 16's, and think the imports are way ahead of the American made cars. It makes one wonder how primer gray can come in that many shades. It is fun to mess with them. However, there are a lot of kids who do it right and deserve respect. But, 29 mpg from an LS1? I have owned three, and never came close to that. How did you manage such good mileage? Teach an old dog a new trick here.
****, when I had just a flowmaster muffler I got 31 MPG on the highway with AC on. Now I have many boltons, tuned and still get 27 MPG highway with AC on.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Y2K Z28
I think the only good thing about imports is that destract the cops attention from the actual fast cars. It's kinda nice that they are so dumb actually helps me out.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
i keep an open mind. I respect all cars, if they are faster or slower. No reason to hate. Anybody who tried to gun it around me is a moron though...it brings unecessary attention to me and that person..something i don't need.
I AGREE 100%
Old 10-12-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Default Special Olimpic's

all that make me puke sound, and they think that sounds good too! what happen to pride of ownership, beer can muffler, wings, stickers,oh boy!!!!! i'd rather have my firehawk with a lawn mower motor than a 11 second ricer..
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B/A 80 T/A
I just actually sold my DSM a couple months ago and it's honest advantage is the power/weight. Doesn't matter how much power you put down, if you have alot of extra weight, it's useless. And i dunno what your thinkn of Sparetire, but Shep Racing has a 92 DSM with around 1000 AWHP on a 4G63. Ran a 7.5 1/4 mile, which according to this video I got a few nights back is the same time as the "quickest/fastest" z06 on a single turbo. No bashing intended, just defending those who get the short end.
? Thats exactly what I said. Shep racing is not using a TT setup. They use a single. Any serious 4 cylinder big power app uses a single. Hell even with the packaging difficulties of running a big single on a windsor or LSX block, people go that route most of the time for big power. TT setups are pointless in 99% of the apps people talk about.

I actually own a DSM right now. 2.4L/E316G. Talk about mid-range
Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Trust
It honestly depends how it sounds/looks. For example, if an 88 CRX is pulling up next to me revving like crazy with its paint torn to crap, stock wheels up front and some 17's out back then sounding like a drowning lawn mower I'll just do nothing. I've had a few nice imports, and you can almost tell they are quick from several cars back, come up to me and want to go, when I was stock I had a slightly lowered yellow civic rev at me, no body kit, just some simple wheels and exhaust along with some custom yellow, no graphics or anything, we both take off and I can hear his turbo spooling (I had windows down) I put a few cars on him, then lately I had a 400WHP Evo run me, we ended out even (I wont twice, so did he) after that my car was getting warm and my brakes were cooking. Pulled over and talked to him, cool guy. The clean looking ones are usually the quicker ones, I wont race a 4 door accord with body kit and stock wheels that revs at me, waste of my gas!
Bingo. I went to the track a week ago for the first time. I ran a 14 fraking 3 my first run. I still decimated the Accord next to me that was sporting a big FMIC. The guy ends up staging near me again. His buddy tells me that the guy who sold it to them claimed 320WHP. Thats not a typo. The thing had a spray paint job on it, rims with tires of such small aspect ratio that I could barely see them, etc. Complete rice. I beat it by 9 tenths.

The classy looking ones are the real enthusiasts 9 times out of ten. That or the junkyard dogs with so cosmetic appeal at all because it all went into going fast.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Damm their is alot of hate in this thread, but when it comes down to it ANYTHING can be made fast with enough money, but to put it simply civics and accords were NOT ment to be made fast just like a ford focus or cavialer was not ment to be made fast. Although I do respect imports and they do have ALOT of great engines such as the 4G63, 2jz, sr20det, rb26det, exc, THOSE engines were ment to go fast not some POS honda ka20 POS, and if these guys didnt know FWD SUCKS
Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Teching In

I wasn't trying to bash on imports. I clearly said that I respect some of the SPORTS models they came out with to a cerain point. To be honest I really dont like imports but thats my opinion and Ill take that to the grave. The point that I tried to come across was that yea given the money and time anything can be fast. Its possible to get a civic up to 500+ hp. I've seen a clip where a civic whooped a viper. But how long did the engine last? Are these mods safe for the engines that were built to be economical? Yea there are a **** load of aftermarket parts for civics/integs but have you researched the parts for em? Most of them are ****. 1000 different lines of intakes, 1000 different lines of exhaust a.k.a fart cans. I read in a pontiac enthusiast magazine that a LS1 can be upgraded to 800hp safely and can also be upgraded to 1000hp if done right.

Last edited by FirstLS1; 10-12-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys bashing imports aren't helping the dumb redneck stereotype thrown upon the Fbody crowd. True, a Civic (non Si) wasn't made to be a sports car, but an economy car. You know what a necessity is of an economy car? Low weight. A gutted Civic is about, what...2000 lbs? With 200hp they're running at about the same power/weight ratio as a stock LS1. Yes, I hate the ricers, but the real mport guys hate them too. I recall somebody a few pages back making fun of how many shades of primer they've seen on imports, but around here those are the fast guys.

And to you guys who posted the pics of your Hondas, very nice.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by giant016
You guys bashing imports aren't helping the dumb redneck stereotype thrown upon the Fbody crowd. True, a Civic (non Si) wasn't made to be a sports car, but an economy car. You know what a necessity is of an economy car? Low weight. A gutted Civic is about, what...2000 lbs? With 200hp they're running at about the same power/weight ratio as a stock LS1. Yes, I hate the ricers, but the real mport guys hate them too. I recall somebody a few pages back making fun of how many shades of primer they've seen on imports, but around here those are the fast guys.

And to you guys who posted the pics of your Hondas, very nice.
If they have the same power to weight ratio then why do they run 17-18's in the quarter mile where a stock LS1 can get high 12's low 13's outa the box?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
If they have the same power to weight ratio then why do they run 17-18's in the quarter mile where a stock LS1 can get high 12's low 13's outa the box?
They dont dumbass. Another local guy has a k20a2 swap in a 95 civic coupe and is running 8.8's in the 1/8th. That's equivalent to a high 13 second pass in the 1/4.

Again ignorance seems prevalent in this thread. To whoever was bashing the k20, you need to do some research. With a $2500 turbo setup those engines will see nearly 300fwhp because the head flows amazingly. Not to mention the blocks are fairly stout and could see 350+ whp safely. In a 2300lb car that is no joke. And as far as FWD ... I agree on that, IT SUCKS
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look its really hard to get on here and listed to some of the ignorant comments but to the guys who really understand what it takes and who respect all fast cars, thank you. Im sure you guys have heard of Thunder Racing? Well the shop i work at is affiliated with them and let me tell you, alot of those guys are hardcore V8 guys who laugh at imports. But when we bring 400, 500, 600hp hondas over there to dyno those guys respect that and are the first ones to ask for a ride. Yes your typical car with a intake and a "fart can" sounds like crap but, when a car such as mine with a large turbo and 4'' exhaust pulls ahead of a supercharged vette, nitrous ls1 camaro etc. and they hear the loud whistle of the turbo and the sound of the flames shooting out the back with each shift believe me all i hear is how crazy and badass it sounds.

Like i said i just love going fast and if you have not ridden in a 400+ hp civic im telling you, even the hardcore v8 guys that you will like it.

To all the guy who appreciate performance and motorsports in general like me
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AngryJ
They dont dumbass. Another local guy has a k20a2 swap in a 95 civic coupe and is running 8.8's in the 1/8th. That's equivalent to a high 13 second pass in the 1/4.

Again ignorance seems prevalent in this thread. To whoever was bashing the k20, you need to do some research. With a $2500 turbo setup those engines will see nearly 300fwhp because the head flows amazingly. Not to mention the blocks are fairly stout and could see 350+ whp safely. In a 2300lb car that is no joke. And as far as FWD ... I agree on that, IT SUCKS
Hey idk if you ever go to www.honda-tech.com but they have a few guys with 100% stock K20 engines in civic hatchbacks with only a turbo kit making 500whp. One of them just went to the track a few days ago and went 10.8@131. Another guy just finished his integra wich is still 100% streetable and dynoed 883whp, he hasnt gotten down the track on that hp level yet because it broke an axle but he should have that fixed soon. Heres a link for anyone interested
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1773555
Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

This might just be me, but ive noticed a tendency for us fbody guys to get cocky. There are plenty of fast imports out there, but the majority of the time its a stock pos with a big fart pipe and huuuge spoiler. Those are the guys who give import owners the bad name. I respect any supra, evo, wrx that comes up to me cause those are quick cars. But the majority of imports are just annoying and think they are bad as **** with their 15 second quarter miles. Those are the ones I dont like and often blow their doors off just to shut them up.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
uno
On The Tree

There is a guy at our local track and on a local board i'm on who has a white LS Integra(LS=non vtec), super clean. No body kit, just lowered a little and has nice wheels on it. Has an SSAutochrome (ebay) turbo kit on the car without a tune,. 7psi on stock injectors and FPR and he ran 13.1 at Bristol. The race I watched him run was against a C5 and the integra won. The c5 went 13.4. And this kid is very humble about it. He's actually building an engine and doing supporting mods this winter.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If done properly they can sound sick, that Evo I raced, you could hear what sounded to me like the cam(s) loping at idle, it sounded pretty cool.

Last edited by 'Trust'; 10-13-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trust
If done properly they can sound sick, that Evo I raced, you could here what sounded to me like the cam(s) loping at idle, it sounded pretty cool.
yeah the big upgrade for the evo is 272/272 cams. they respond really well to that and retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees. Kinda does give em a lope.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Launching!

My car has a lope at idle, with the 4'' exhaust and big injectors it def. does not sound like a honda.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 PM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beave
My car has a lope at idle, with the 4'' exhaust and big injectors it def. does not sound like a honda.
how do the injectors change the sound? except for them clicking

Quick Reply: Imports