General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are Midwest Dealers Crazy?!?! (Kindda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Midwest Dealers Crazy?!?! (Kindda long)

I thought I would share this with members here...

On fridays I don't have classes so I decided to head to Eau Claire Wisconsin (30 min. away from my college) To head to the mall and pick some stuff up and just have a day to myself to do whatever.

So I always like to go to car dealers to see what they have for sale and what not as I find it interesting, and so I ended up going to this one somewhat larger GM dealer, and right as I am pulling in I see this bright red Trans Am. So I had to stop and look at it...

It was a 2002 Automatic with 23k miles on the clock, and looked completely stock. Even though newer than my car with less miles my car is still better shape and looked better than this car in my opinion...

Now here is the kicker...they wanted $23,000 for the car!!!!

I couldnt help but laugh being it wasn't even a WS6, wasn't even a M6 and although had low miles and was in real nice shape I thought it was hilarious!

How do these dealers expect to sell cars at these prices?? It's F*cking Novemeber here and winter is now near so are these people idiots? I was going to go in and ask them what they were smoking but I just got in my car and drove off shaking my head.

Sorry I just thought I would share this story with all you.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yea thats ridiculous
Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with you most midwest dealers are crazy, I see the same thing in SD. Last one dealer wanted 10k for a 94 Z28 6 speed with 100k miles. But I think that deal you found isnt to out of line. Some dealing could probaly get it in reasonable range.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

To be honest with you, I don't see much of a problem with that price. It's still basically a new car...
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
To be honest with you, I don't see much of a problem with that price. It's still basically a new car...
yea but it not being a WS6 or a firehawk makes it just a regular car, so it will still depreciate like one
Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will also soon be a 5 year old car.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, i think it is ridiculous. i did some work on a 2002 ceta for a dealer earlier today. they had it sold to a guy coming from out of state to pick it up. it had 21k and they sold it for 21k. obviously, being a ceta it was a ws6, and it was an m6, etc...
Old 11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Well I bought my car with 24k miles on the clock in better shape than that car, Mine is a M6 which ussually adds to the value of these cars, with the WS6 hood, UMI short stick, Whisper Air Lid, and Borla Catback (now I know those things shouldnt add to the value, but they are mainly things people add anyways so that was at $2k I didnt have to spend..) Plus my car was a garage queen and had never seen a drop of rain...I paid $13.7k for mine....now it is a 99 vs. a 02, but it also had the same amount of miles as that car plus mine was in better condition....in fact still is in better condition IMO than that car at the dealer and I am now at 40k miles....thats why I laughed at the price of this car.

I am sure someone will gladly pay it though because there are people out there that think it is worth that... I just wish I knew who they were and I would sell them my car for that price and buy myself a real WS6 plus mod it some for what they give me
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Teching In

being in the boat of looking for a trans am in the area it kinda sucks. dealers are the only ones that want so much for their cars.
i'm located down in lacrosse wi, so not far from you man.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:28 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea but it not being a WS6 or a firehawk makes it just a regular car, so it will still depreciate like one
Hate to break it to you, but the much-beloved WS6's will depreciate the same....that hood, wheels & suspension doesn't make it THAT much better than a base Trans Am. If anything, the base-model 'birds will be more valuable in the future since there are fewer of them, and a lot of them get converted with aftermarket hoods. Don't let the "aura of the WS6" fool you.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:57 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I wouldn't think it being a WS6 makes a difference on depreciation. If it was a Forumula that would make a difference, since that actually is a rare car, but it being a WS6 really shouldn't have an impact on it's price.

Last edited by StoleIt; 11-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The ws6's are holding there value better and it adds aprox 1-2 grand to resale. I know they cost more when new but they are also getting higher costs. Simple demand people want 6spd and ws6. All cars loose value and some become classics and go back up in value most dont however.. Formula's have a lesser blue book value so the only increase would be a market value from demand but in my area ws6's grab the highest values.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Teching In

that would be the same dealer where I applied for a sales job and they told me I knew too much about cars to sell them.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I wouldn't think it being a WS6 makes a difference on depreciation. If it was a Forumula that would make a difference, since that actually is a rare car, but it being a WS6 really shouldn't have an impact on it's price.
I only said that b/c if someone is goin to pay 23 K for a F body, their going to want the best of the best for that price, b/c if you really think about it you can get a GTO with pretty much the same miles for that price or a nice C5 with decent miles for around that price
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trainorj
that would be the same dealer where I applied for a sales job and they told me I knew too much about cars to sell them.

They wouldnt hire you because you knew too much about cars??? WTF... no wonder why GM dealers seem to suck, they want to hire people who don't know jack ****..

I mean that is like telling a guy he is in too good of shape and knows to much about working out/ staying in shape to be a physical trainer...
Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
Well I bought my car with 24k miles on the clock in better shape than that car, Mine is a M6 which ussually adds to the value of these cars, with the WS6 hood, UMI short stick, Whisper Air Lid, and Borla Catback (now I know those things shouldnt add to the value, but they are mainly things people add anyways so that was at $2k I didnt have to spend..) Plus my car was a garage queen and had never seen a drop of rain...I paid $13.7k for mine....now it is a 99 vs. a 02, but it also had the same amount of miles as that car plus mine was in better condition....in fact still is in better condition IMO than that car at the dealer and I am now at 40k miles....thats why I laughed at the price of this car.

I am sure someone will gladly pay it though because there are people out there that think it is worth that... I just wish I knew who they were and I would sell them my car for that price and buy myself a real WS6 plus mod it some for what they give me
While I agree that dealer is crazy and that NO ONE will pay 23k for a 5 year old TA the fact that you had so many aftermarket parts on your car makes it less valauable to most people. The majority of people want an unmolested car so that they can feel better that the car was not beat on. Whether it was or not is not the issue but perception is everything. Also, you can't really compare a 99 to an 02....Whether it is reality or fact the 02 will sell for more as it was the last year they made them. I'm not going to argue as to which car is a better car but your car is 3 years older.

Also, just because the dealer is trying to sell the car for 23 does not mean he expects to sell it for that. He will probably let it go for 17 or less. Sure he'd LOVE to get 23k for it and there may be some idiot who sees and and says "I'll take it" but don't assume the dealer paid the former owner any more for it than the wholesale value. Even with that most dealers operate from a different "blue book" just to screw people over. Test it out go do a lookup on Kelly Blue book value on your car then take it into the dealer and see if they offer you even close to that figure. Rest assured, they won't.

Car sales are a joke. you really have to know how to play them to get the best deal possible and even when you think you win you are still probably getting shafted in the end. I used to work for GM and so I got the employee discount and more times that not they still told me my price was higher than it actually was. I had to pull up the GM employee spreadsheet from their PC just to prove it on the last GM car I bought.

My suggestion is NEVER EVER buy a car unless you have walked out of the dealer at least 2 times. I'd say "Ok, when you get to where I need to be give me a call" and EVERYTIME I have done that I have had the dealer call me back within hours usually. Know what the book value is and stick to your guns and you can do OK. Go in without a plan and you might as well bend over and grab your ankles.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
How do these dealers expect to sell cars at these prices??
I'm sure they would take much less than that, but jack it up just in case they see somebody show up that doesn't care about the cost, and will just pay the price on the sticker, I'm sure.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
I'm sure they would take much less than that, but jack it up just in case they see somebody show up that doesn't care about the cost, and will just pay the price on the sticker, I'm sure.
yea some people have TOO much money
Old 11-06-2006, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

yeah and somebody will come along and pay that for the car. Amazing that dealers are asking that for the car. Knowing that they only paid 10000 for the car. Greed is amazing.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

thats nothing compaired to what i ran across when i was looking for an ls1 under $10,000 in my area (NW Ohio) i found this car at a dealership

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=1&cardist=24

whe i went ot test drive it it had a $11,000 sticker on it. the car has a huge dent in the front of the hood, the passenger side skirt it bent up under the car, the driver's side headlight will open and then the motor for it won't shut off, the hinges for the hood were flaking paint and the best part was that the only gauge on the car that worked was the gas gauge and the odometer but i wouldn't be shocked to find out that it was tampered with.... after i walked back into the office to hand the dealer his keys back he asked if i was interested and said he could work on the price. i said i was going to keep on looking and left...... that was in the middle of summer.